• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Oracle Solaris 11 released

This may be obvious, but what's different between this and 11 Express?

It's a more virtualized cloud infrastructure for increasing TCO productivity in fast moving foundation for your highly scalable underpants.

(Solaris 11 Express was a beta/public release candidate)
 
It's a more virtualized cloud infrastructure for increasing TCO productivity in fast moving foundation for your highly scalable underpants.

(Solaris 11 Express was a beta/public release candidate)

First impression of Solaris 11:
+ feels very fast and
+ you can have multiple shares on a ZFS , each with its own
path. This allows a more flexible organisation of shares.

- very different share handling
- some ZFS commands have different syntax
- some apps from SE Express 11 will not work due to updated libs (like napp-it < 0.6d)

i have updated my current napp-it 0.6d nightly beta to basically work with Solaris 11
see http://www.napp-it.org/downloads/changelog_en.html

You can try this release also with OpenIndiana
It should work with Solaris Express end NexentaCore, but I do not test them any longer
(NexentaCore is dead, next release is incompatible iCore/ Illumian, Solaris Express is obsolet now.)
 
Is this free now?

Nonfree, even not free for home-use, same with Solaris Express 11
but free Download for Tests and Evaluations

License Terms
Oracle Solaris, Oracle Solaris Cluster and Oracle Solaris Express
Oracle Technology Network Developer License Terms for Oracle Solaris, Oracle Solaris Cluster and Oracle Solaris Express

f you want to use the Programs for any purpose other than as permitted under this agreement, including but not limited to distribution of the Programs or any use of the Programs for your internal business purposes (other than developing, testing, prototyping and demonstrating your applications) or for any commercial production purposes, you must obtain a valid license permitting such use. We may audit your use of the Programs.

If you need it free, use Openindiana
 
Is this some broad weasel lawyer clause or does Solaris phone home?

I have not heard such things.
But every update needs a contact to a Oracle server, but thats the same with MS and Apple.
They always know about their users
 
f you want to use the Programs for any purpose other than as permitted under this agreement, including but not limited to distribution of the Programs or any use of the Programs for your internal business purposes (other than developing, testing, prototyping and demonstrating your applications)
Well, I will develop on my Solaris 11 PC. And test stuff. So I guess I am free. :)
 
Well, I will develop on my Solaris 11 PC. And test stuff. So I guess I am free. :)

It is hard to understand why Oracle looks only at the top 1000 enterprises.
They own the best NAS OS on earth. Why not sell a light version opt bundled
with cheap hardware like a HP microserver together with midrange systems
and the current heavy irons.

Apple on the other hand stops all pro-systems for semipro machines and apps.
Its complete the opposite. And they are extremely successfull.
Really bad that Steve Jobs preferred a TV over computers. He have had the chance to buy SUN.

The price and especially the easyness of OSX is what I really really miss on Solaris
 
It is hard to understand why Oracle looks only at the top 1000 enterprises.
They own the best NAS OS on earth. Why not sell a light version opt bundled
with cheap hardware like a HP microserver together with midrange systems
and the current heavy irons.

I'd be happy with a port to ARM since [serious*] ARM-based NAS solutions can't be too far off.


(* I know they have some out there, but I mean something with a little more kick.)
 
Back
Top