Optiplex 760 USFF upgrade?

matt167

[H]ard|Gawd
My mom recently told me her computer seems a little slow. She got into watching some youtube videos on crafting and such. Prior to this she used it for banking basically.. It's an Optiplex 760 USFF. Has win 10, 4gb of RAM, E8600 C2D and a cheap SSD. Plenty fast for a banking computer.. I don't think another 4gb of ram will be that much better, but wondering about a $5 quad core... Will a C2Q work on a 760 USFF? Thinking of a Q9400. It would be 2.66 ghz and not 3ghz but 2 extra cores

So I've got a 755 and 745 USFF that's the same form factor as your 760 and while I was able to install a q6600 in my 745, the 755 refused to post with one so I upgraded it to an e8500 that I had. Basically it cannot take any of the quads due to them being 95w.

But instead of a cpu upgrade, I would definitely upgrade that ram if you can--8gb is pretty much a minimum requirement for any modern windows. The other thing you can do is install a light version of linux on it and that will be fine for banking* and youtube duties.

* I need to add something about online banking--it is the primary way thieves steal money, and is only getting worse:

And they target older parents and people who are not tech saavy and will fall prey to phishing or other attempts as those are even getting more sophisticated. And on the flip side, banks are now no longer taking responsibility for any transactions that occur where someone has a login or even just the account details and will deny claims (read the most recent account agreement--it's in there). In other words, if you value you're money, don't use online banking in any form.

Last edited:
My mom just uses the online banker to access her statements. Still writes checks for everything

wont work, ive tried with 7600/7800(i think) series. they fit the socket but the bios doesnt support them properly and the heatsink isnt enough.

My mom just uses the online banker to access her statements. Still writes checks for everything
Still dangerous as others can use those logins to do stuff if they get them. She is smart to still be using checks!

wont work, ive tried with 7600/7800(i think) series. they fit the socket but the bios doesnt support them properly and the heatsink isnt enough.
Yeah, I think it is the lack of bios support that really seals the deal for the 755/760 since my 745 works fine with the q6600 once I just set the fans to 100%. (It's already got a copper heatsink.)

Still dangerous as others can use those logins to do stuff if they get them. She is smart to still be using checks!
What bank doesn't offer some kind of login verification or MFA?

What bank doesn't offer some kind of login verification or MFA?
And what hacking group and phishing attempt hasn't tried to thwart that? Trying to win the battle on the battlefield will still come with casualties. "The only winning move is not to play."

And what hacking group and phishing attempt hasn't tried to thwart that? Trying to win the battle on the battlefield will still come with casualties. "The only winning move is not to play."
Hopefully no one steals her paper checks out of the mail. :rolleyes:

Back