Options to improve or replace B&W MM-1

thfx

Limp Gawd
I sold my Z5500 and missing them a little bit now. Trying to downsize. No more behemoth subwoofer in the office. Plus in a condo so I don't need super room-shaking bass.

I was able to pick up a set of MM-1 to demo and for $500 I was really under-impressed.

Setup:

Alienware core i7
EVGA GTX 660 Ti
Creative SB X-Fi

Three setups tested:
1) USB connection (onboard DAC)
2) X-Fi mini jack out (Creative DAC)
3) EVGA GTX 660 Ti HDMI out via Dell monitor mini jack out (Nvidia DAC)

The best setup I found was sticking with the creative DAC. I previously ran optical to the Z5500s.

Things I didn't like:
1) The power unit gets really really hot
2) Low frequency response is non-existent (no oomph for gaming)
3) Imaging
4) Price

I guess what I would like to know is if there is a better setup to use the MM-1s or should I just go back to the sub.

Considering:
1) HiVi Swan M50w ~$300
2) JBL 305s ~$300
3) Edifier S330D ~$200
4) Monsoon MM-1000 or MM-500 (if available)
5) Emotiva Airmotiv 4s ~$300
6) H/K Soundsticks II ~$100 or Wireless ~$200
7) Klipsch Promedia 2.1 ~$150

Mostly for gaming & music, podcasts. Not movies so center sound field doesn't need to be great. Any suggestions? Promedia? I have heard mixed reviews. No used ones within 100 miles on CL anyway.

Last edited:
I've used the M50W and thought they were very good for a compact PC audio rig. The wired remote volume control is a neat little bonus, too.

thanks for the suggestions guys!

The emotivas sure look pretty. What is the general consensus on Edifier brand products. The S330D's look a lot like my Logitch Z5500's only in a 2.1 set.

I've used the M50W and thought they were very good for a compact PC audio rig. The wired remote volume control is a neat little bonus, too.

How is the build quality? The finish looks good, but do they fall apart? Support non-existent so break it good luck? Looks like Parts Express sells parts?

How is the build quality? The finish looks good, but do they fall apart? Support non-existent so break it good luck? Looks like Parts Express sells parts?
They're very well built. Swan makes excellent speakers. I gave my set to my sister after breaking it in for a couple of weeks. She loves it.

Here's a pic of my M50W before giving it to sis:

Last edited:
swan or emotiva will give you good sound. I would give emotiva the nod overall. More expensive though the build quality and sound is tops in its price range.

I own the Swan M50Ws and they are good, but ultimately limited in detail and resolution by the tiny midwoofers. I would encourage you to go with the JBL 305s, they sound huge and are a bargain for the money. They have more than enough low end IMO but you can always add a sub down the line.

I agree that something like the JBL 305 would be a better solution if you have the desk space. They're not little.

8" studio monitors would likely give a bit more low end oomph without needing a sub. If you have room on the desk.

Woofer diameter certainly affects low-frequency performance, but it's far from the only factor. Also of huge importance is the Xmax/Xmech (mechanical excursion - Xmax being within relatively linear motor strength (BL) and Xmech being the mechanical maximum) and the power handling (which has a lot to do with the voice coil size). Also the stiffness of the suspension and the weight of the cone assembly (which is also affected by the voice coil size / power handling).

My point overall is that a low-quality 8" woofer will actually have lower output capability than a quality 6.5" or maybe even 5.25" woofer.

One of my DIY pairs of speakers uses Adire Extremus 6.8 woofers (7") and they have 13mm of Xmax. They are significantly better than most 8" woofers.

Swans is okay and all... I designed those same DIY speakers as MTMWs and the midranges are HiVi M4N magnesium-cones. Swans uses HiVi drivers and I believe one company owns the other or they are both under the same parent company. I haven't heard the relatively large woofers from HiVi and I don't remember offhand what the Xmax is, but desktop systems won't be using the 8"+ woofers anyway, really. The thing I disliked about Swans desktop systems is that they've sold systems with small satellite speakers and one center woofer (not subwoofer) that is supposed to go on TOP of your desk exactly where your monitor is. That creates placement issues and, frankly, sound quality issues (bass may be less directional than treble, but is still more directional than some people realize, especially when talking about midbass rather than the really LF stuff).

The Klipsch ProMedia 2.1THX is a system I owned and it has horns, too, and those REALLY hurt my ears. The treble out of them was shrill and some of the worst I have EVER heard. Klipsch's "real" speakers are typically nowhere near as bad (given that they cost more and are larger) and even then many people dislike the sound. But they did have a lot of bass. It wasn't very LOW bass because the way they accomplished it is by using a higher tuning frequency for the port. But the quantity of it is impressive and the sound quality of the bass will probably satisfy many users as long as they aren't expecting 20Hz or even 30Hz reproduction.

Any chance you'd consider bookshelf speakers and a T-amp? Used Paradigm Atoms or maybe Titans could be a good choice.

Last edited:
Any chance you'd consider bookshelf speakers and a T-amp? Used Paradigm Atoms or maybe Titans could be a good choice.

I use Klipsch reference series in the HT. I was trying to avoid going all out for this setup. A step down from the Z5500 in power but maybe a step up in high-mid quality on the LT and RT channels.

The suggested JBLs may work for OP but horn-loaded tweeters like those are not the lowest distortion. They sound great to some people. Some people are very sensitive to (most) horn-loaded drivers in a negative way.

The 305' aren't horn loaded. They're domed with a waveguide.

I met a guy tonight who claims he has a working / may need some minor repair promedia 4.1 set (the old set). I should know in a few days if he can find them! :D

promedia? bleh dude. if you really feel that is an upgrade, good on ya. cheaper that way.

the promedia would make me have nightmares of fingernails on chalkboards.

I'd be wary about buying some old computer speakers, particularly ones that may need repair; unless the price is ridiculously cheap (shrugs).

yeah... i would be careful with promedias..... alot of them had amps go out, or control pods issues. i still have 4.1s that work but the control pod volume knob is very finiky.

while this isnt fully ideal, maybe try a really good set of headphones?. While i got to get a new cable for them, I use to love my sennheiser 570. could wear them for hours and not hurt my head.

just realised they are like 16 years old. lol

for the money the old logitchs were solid... sure you could get better sound from 2 speakers for the same amount, but logis were very multi functional. I feel if you dont want to pay a little bit, you probably would have been better off keeping the logis.

Last edited:
yeah I miss the logitechs. I still haven't acquired the promedias yet (offered for free as-is).

Back