• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Optimum memory for FAH

RPhArrow

Gawd
Joined
Jul 19, 2005
Messages
939
The last 3 P4 hyperthreaded boxen that I started with FAH, I put 1 GB of RAM into (all linux)... just thinking that if I was running 2 FAH processes the RAM would get used. Now , looking at RAM usage, it's only 250MB tops on any of those boxes. It appears I am wasting my RAM ...

How much ram are y'all using in each box (considering cpu & os ) ?? And what do you think is optimum ?
 
I have 1GB in my main rig... a P4 2.4C OCed to 3.0.... I have big packets enabled on both threads..... it can definately take a chunk of RAM... I've seen it as high as 400MB for each.....


Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

 
One thing to keep in mind however, is not just quantity of ram, but the amount of memory bandwidth available. If you're running two sessions of big WU's you can see a major slowdown just because the ram can't swap fast enough.

The normal suggestion is maybe one client running normal units, and the other running big as not to chew up all the bandwidth.

 
Back
Top