Optimize 8700k for Nicehash

craigdt

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm using the basic miner program- not the legacy miner.

My cpu only ever hits about 50% ultization and I get about 290mhs, when supposedly I should be doing about 500.

Is there something I can do to make my processor use 100%?

Something about core affinity...

Okay so I installed the legacy miner from NiceHash, but there aren't any algorithms listed under the CPU. It's blank...

How do I add an algorithm for the CPU?
There is already a bunch for gpu

No, this would be an OS setting. I know for a fact that my Ryzen chip required large pages enabled to get the 600Hs a second using xmr_stak on Cyptonote.

This would be want you want to enable. It's called 'lock pages in memory', actually. My bad on that one.

xmr_stak's documentation on the setting gives it a +20% performance boost.

Dang is there a installation package or files I need to download? At the end of the directions where I was supposed to select something, the list was blank.

No need to pull anything - NHLM should reach out and grab what it needs when you start it up.

Did you benchmark the CPU?

I don't recall exactly, but you may not see unbenched algo options.

No need to pull anything - NHLM should reach out and grab what it needs when you start it up.

Did you benchmark the CPU?

I don't recall exactly, but you may not see unbenched algo options.

I tried to but the list was blank. Nothing to benchmark.

I just now installed the 1.9 miner and it came with cpu algorithms.

Guess I need to look into the lock pages in memory thing

Since LTSB is basically Enterprise with only bug fixes/security updates, i imagine you should be able to.

That was not supposed to happen. LOL

craigdt Have you tried stak_xmr directly against the nicehash pool? Not through NHLM (nicehash legacy miner?)

This user is saying that NHLM overwrites his config and messes up his CPU thread affinity.

Also, note phenom77's post down toward the end where he specifically has tips on setting:

"ExtraLaunchParameters": "enable_ht=true"
"LessThreads": 8

That was not supposed to happen. LOL

craigdt Have you tried stak_xmr directly against the nicehash pool? Not through NHLM (nicehash legacy miner?)

This user is saying that NHLM overwrites his config and messes up his CPU thread affinity.

Also, note phenom77's post down toward the end where he specifically has tips on setting:

"ExtraLaunchParameters": "enable_ht=true"
"LessThreads": 8

Okay I tried these tips and I still get the same hash rate.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

I really have tried just about everything except for using stak_xmr directly- might be above my limited skill level.

Any more pointers? Lol
Guess I could always bounce to one of the Ryzen processors- maybe they don't have this issue.

you just run it and it walks you through the config/pool setup and gives you a halfway decent cpu config as a default? nicehash is trash for trying to get proper configurations.

Your CPU is probably running a cryptonight variant of some sort which is more dependent upon processor cache than processor compute power. If you run more than 6 threads of cryptonight (or its variants) on the 8700K, your hash rate will likely go down, hence the 50% CPU utilization that you're seeing. It's not going to be any different with xmr-stak or any other miner (though there may be some improvements with xmr-stak over the NH miner).

Back