• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Optimal System Memory Size for Handbrake?

teletran8

2[H]4U
Joined
Jan 12, 2011
Messages
2,220
I have an AMD Quad Core @ 3.75GHz with 8 GB DDR3 1666. Handbrake MAXES out everything (which is good). Only question is should I look to get 16GB or more, or is what I have optimal? Would 16GB noticeably improve my encode times? For example a 12GB Blu Ray rip no compression seems to be taking 2H:50M, so about 3 hours. Would 16 or 32 GB shorten the encode time by how much??? Thx for input guyz.
 
Handbrake is much more CPU limited than memory limited. Anything past around 4Gig of system memory you won't notice any difference.
 
I haven't seen more memory be a noticeable improvement for Handbrake.
 
Handbrake is much more CPU limited than memory limited. Anything past around 4Gig of system memory you won't notice any difference.

This all the way. I work at Best Buy (selling computers) and so many customers complain about computers only having 4 or 6 and so many people think they need 8 or more just to watch youtube or make powerpoints. Then a lot of times I'll go into task manager and point out that even with all the preinstalled software, the system is only using an average of 1.5GB.
 
I encode to x264 almost all the time. I doubt you will ever see RAM used by handbrake go above 1GB. Mine eats 660MB right now. I have 8GB and the performance is the same with 4GB.

As others said, CPU is what counts (and L3 cache has minimal impact for what matters in that).
 
Back
Top