• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Optical out?

Etherton

Will Bang for Poof
Joined
Aug 7, 2006
Messages
6,996
How or where do I enable the optical out on my EVGA 132-BL-E758-TR x58 SLI mobo? I bought a 35' optical cable from Monoprice.com and am running it to my Z-5500s (along with a matching HDMI) so I can watch movies from the PC on my 46" LED. Red light is running but its not sending a signal to the Z-5500s. Nothing is listed in the Control Panel or under the sound icon about the optical output. Any help with the HDMI end of it would also be awesome (thread is over in the Video Card forum).

Thanks all!
 
On playback tab in sound, there is usually several devices listed. my Optical is listed as Digital audio S/PDIF that when you click properties has a ATAPI jack (the standard S/PDIF has rear panel combo jack). I do have a different motherboard.

Pick the one for your optical out and set as default. Close and reopen the program you want the audio to play from and it should use that channel.
 
Awesome! I saw the S/PDIF listed. Will check it out when I get home. Thanks!
 
What video card do you have? Another option would be to run optical from the tv to the z5500.
 
Have you considered routing audio through HDMI to the tv then out to the z5500?

Your TV should have an optical output. This way anything hooked up to the TV gets sound via the z5500.
 
I saw that on the TV. HDMI will carry DD?

If thats the case I could route all 4 components audio that way and not have to switch inputs on the Z-5500s?

DireTV HD-DVR
Xbox 360
PS3
Computer
 
Yeah HDMI can carry DD. More importantly, you can send whatever formats your TV supports and the TV will send out DD to the Z5500. You don't even have to use digital inputs on the tv and even if you use rca audio you should still get audio on the z5500. Although all your component are HDMI I think.

If you hook it up to the TV, you can just switch inputs and leave the z5500 on optical input.
 
Back
Top