Opteron 165's Cancelled?

Monarch Canceled a bunch of peoples orders for 165's
That's not the same as AMD canceling the 165 processor line.

My friend said the reason why Monarch cancelled them is becuase AMD is pulling the plug on them. Is this true or not? Eclipse?

DangerIsGo said:
My friend said the reason why Monarch cancelled them is becuase AMD is pulling the plug on them. Is this true or not? Eclipse?
People here have contacted AMD and AMD techs were not aware of any defect or anything like that. Supposedly there is the possibility the product line was being re-tooled.

If I were to guess I'd say that a sudden rush on the processor created a large unexpected gap in the supply lines.

Or maybe that their cheaper than the X2's and with OCing can surpass the X2's speed along w/ the 1MB of L2 cache for each core. Think about it. They can get to 2.5GHz on avg...w/ 1MB of L2 Cache makes them the 4800 for $300 instead of the MSRP of the 4800 of $800+.

Thats a possibility as well.

I know I bought my Opteron 165 instead of a second X2 4400 for the sole intent of clocking it to at least 2.5 and having a much faster chip for $200 less.

I got my Opteron 165 today from Monarch. They sent me the e-mail saying my order was delayed, and then like an hour later sent another e-mail saying they got a shipment in after all and my CPU was on the way. So, maybe i just lucked out. There is a 1st time for everything. :p

By the way, this thing is currently at 2.6Ghz on 1.45v using air cooling (Coolermaster Hyper 6) completely stable. Which makes me happy. :D

So you got an email from them saying it was delayed when you have the chip in your hands?

Dosomo said:
By the way, this thing is currently at 2.6Ghz on 1.45v using air cooling (Coolermaster Hyper 6) completely stable. Which makes me happy.
What memory are you running, are you running any dividers, what voltage is your memory running at, and what are your timings? Thanks

And what do you mean by "completely stable"? How many hours on prime?

I ask because I am curious. I am running a 5/6 divider on pc3200 ballistix, and it's wierd because I got both cores to prime last night for 8 hours(and i stopped it), CPU was at [email protected], and today I ran prime again and one core failed after 2-1/2 hours, while the other was chucking away. I tried running [email protected] and both cores failed prime after 45 minutes.. I have a few more things i want to try..

well this could suck or it just could be the lack of cpu's ready
hopefully AMD isn't stopping the production of this cpu
newegg says they should be back in stock today 11th and monarch says oem as of 28th and pib dec 5 I am a bit worried though cause it was the cpu I was planning on

The monarch website says they will get some more in by December 5th.
I guess you could get a 170 for $400. A rip off compared to 165 @ 300, but still better than the x2 4400 @ 497

just a short question - does the DFI nf4 Ultra-D support the new S939 165 as well? As far as I see it there is no reason to get a X2 4400, which I originally intendet to do, but rather one of the new 165s - IF the DFI supports them. Fingers crossed here, as I already ordered the mobo and RAM. I already sent an email to DFI but haven't got an answer, yet.

A yeah, speaking of RAM: Just to make sure - I wouldn't need ECC RAM with the new S939 Opterons, right? (do the S939 mobos even support ECC RAM?)

Actually if you pick up a DFI nf4 Ultra-D motherboard box, and you listen real closely, your here it screaming... "give me my opteron 165"... actually.. no you won't I made that up.. but yes, it does support it.. and no you dont need ECC, and I dont think any 939 mobos support ECC, have fun

See sig. :D

Actually, DFI cannot officially support the Opterons (in that the Opterons are server-class chips meant to be used in server boards), but there are no problems when using the two together.

And no, you don't need ECC RAM. Just the usual DDR.

Opterons are identical to Athlon64's, just like Turions are and Semprons are. It's possible to "officially" support them on 939 since 939 isn't a workstation platform.

Thanks a bunch, guys - I just pre-ordered (europe = slooooooowwwwww) one :D
just in time, really, as I planned to order a 4400 by the end of the week!

robberbaron said:
Opterons are identical to Athlon64's, just like Turions are and Semprons are. It's possible to "officially" support them on 939 since 939 isn't a workstation platform.

I'm just parroting what DFI has apparently claimed through their channels at dfi-street.

truffle00 said:
I'm just parroting what DFI has apparently claimed through their channels at dfi-street.

DFI-Street is filled with misinformation and bs. I'd advise against taking that forum seriously.

Well, are some of the moderators DFI employees as they claim? They're the ones who said this.

truffle00 said:
Well, are some of the moderators DFI employees as they claim? They're the ones who said this.

Some are, but that doesn't mean that they necessarily know what they're talking about. There is no such thing as a "server" 939 board. 939 just isnt a platform meant for servers. A Lanparty board is just as much of a server board as, say, some Tyan 939 board (if one exists.) Neither could take registered ram or multiple CPU's.

Right, I realize that. I don't know why I feel the need to keep justifying myself...I guess I just don't like being made a fool of (not necessarily you of me, but dfi-street of me to you).

It just seems to be a bureaucratic issue, where if you have an Opteron, have a problem on your DFI board, and call tech support, they will not provide support for you because they do not officially support the chip. That's all.

I'll leave it at that. I'm not arguing, just stating what I heard, and that ^^^ doesn't seem so far outside the realm of possibility. Maybe someone should call DFI with a "problem" and see what happens?

Not the 939 opterons.. they are essential the exact same processor just put through more rigerous testing. The memory controller on the 940pin opteron does differ from the Athlons 64 memory controller.

As long as there's a 170 SOMEWHERE on this planet on Wednesday, I will be buying one, Come on Payday!

typhoon43 said:
As long as there's a 170 SOMEWHERE on this planet on Wednesday, I will be buying one, Come on Payday!
which makes me think about ordering a 170 right now from Mwave... hmmm

hmmm.. this is interesting. i guess AMD discontinued production once the x80's were launched?

Hi. Sorry i didn't get back sooner. I had to go to bed right after my last post.

Now, to answer a few questions. :p

Yes, i received an e-mail saying they were out of stock, and i would have to wait. Then, i recieved a second e-mail that said a shipment of 165's came in after all and they had shipped mine. Not sure what happened over there, but i'm not complaining. :D

Now, on to the details of my overclock.

I am running 9 X 289 HTT with a memory divider that keeps my crap-tas-tic memory at or below 200Mhz.

I did try running Prime95 last night, but it fails immediately no matter what speed i have the CPU running. I even tried it at stock speed with everything at its default settings and it fails immediately. I am having some sort of weird problem with Prime95. I am going to play with it some more after work today.

When i said it is completely stable, i meant that i played a couple of hours of F.E.A.R., Quake 4, Battlefield 2, and World of Warcraft with no problems at all at 2.6Ghz. I also ran the SiSoft Sandra Burn-In CPU test at High Priority in a continuous loop for an hour.

Now, I usually use Prime95 for 24 hours to make sure of complete stability, but in this case i think there is a weird conflict somewhere with Prime95. I don't think it has anything to do with my O/C stability. You can take all this for what it is worth and YMMV. :)

Dosomo said:
When i said it is completely stable, i meant that i played a couple of hours of F.E.A.R., Quake 4, Battlefield 2, and World of Warcraft with no problems at all at 2.6Ghz. I also ran the SiSoft Sandra Burn-In CPU test at High Priority in a continuous loop for an hour.

Now, I usually use Prime95 for 24 hours to make sure of complete stability, but in this case i think there is a weird conflict somewhere with Prime95. I don't think it has anything to do with my O/C stability. You can take all this for what it is worth and YMMV. :)

Actually, it can have everything to do with OC ability. Keep in mind you have 2 cores, 2 unique cores, and each one has its own limits. When overclocking dual cores, you'll typically have one core that overclocks higher, and assuming that you don't stress that core too much, you probably won't notice it during normal use. I am able to hit 2.7 GHz on 1.43 V or less, and game as long as I want, but I cannot run dual instances of prime without raising the voltage. I am currently trying to find that limit - I set voltage to ~1.58 V and am backing it down, running prime for ~8 hours each time. You might want to try bumping to voltage and seeing if that helps.

(cf)Eclipse said:
hmmm.. this is interesting. i guess AMD discontinued production once the x80's were launched?

I'm glad I got mine while the getting was good ;).

I don't think you're having a problem with Prime95. I got the latest version and ran my 165 cpu at 2.65 for 8 hours overnight. (Dual prime, small FFT, 100% load on each CPU).

So I can say that it is possible to have prime stability on an OC opteron. Now whether you're having a mobo issue or whatever, I have no idea.

That really sucks, but Glad I got mine. Ordered from newegg on wednesday afternoon, shiped the same day, and on thursday they were out of stock. I agree, this was a brief XMAS Gift from AMD. My 165 is primming at 2.6GHZ Dual prime BTW, and only at 1.53 volts and only paided 289$ which it stomps the X2 3800. Good for all that got one, and well for those who wanted one, you snoose you loose.

shit you guys think thats why the dropping the price so much on em
hmm here's ta hoping at least one more shippment to the egg and monarch

Just ordered my Opteron 165 today - so glad i could dig one up here in Europe. 330€, but that is an ok-ish price over here. The x2 3800 I originally wanted to get would've been 50€ more expensive :D

Now, as long as i can get 2400 out of it i'll be a happy...

Back