Opinions on this Sapphire card....

jpierce55

Weaksauce
jpierce55 said:
http://www.sapphiretech.com/us/products/products_overview.php?gpid=163&grp=3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102049

I am on a tight budget from the specs it was the best card I could afford at $100 on Newegg, but I know specs can be misleading. Anybody have an opinion?

My other upgrade where a 3700 San Diego and mobo with ATI chip, and another 256mb of pc3200 for a total of 768. I know it is not a super system but trying to pull of NWNII when it comes out.
This is definitely a case where specs are misleading. Even though that card is a 512MB card, the fact is the GPU (Graphics processing unit) on that video card isn't even fast enough to fill up 512MB of memory in most cases anyway. You would be MUCH better served by something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130062
7600gt for $109 after mail in rebate

Or, if you don't want to deal with the rebate, here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814125028
7600gs for $96. It would be a bit slower than the 7600gt.

What exactly are the other upgrades you're describing? If I understand correctly, you already have 512MB of PC3200, and you are going to buy 256MB more. You are also going to buy a 3700 CPU and a motherboard, right? What system are you currently using? Post where you're buying those from, if you want opinions on the rest of your upgrades.

actually I already purchased the 1300xt so I am stuck with it, unfortunate. To much to take in with to many chips. The old system died but was a 2800 barton core with 512 and a Radeon 9700pro

Oh now that really would suck, the 9700 was almost 4 years old and agp, with only 128 on RAM

So I guess I should ask do you think it will pull off that game? Should I attempt a return? I can do that so is that your suggestion return it un-opened for a 7600 or 850xt?

I agree, that x850 flies for an AGP card, but remember that it only supports shader model 2 and NWN 2 is made for shader model 3. You will easily "pull off" the game with that card, but will have to run it with some eye candy off. I would check out the NWN 2 forums for more info... here is one of many helpful links: http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=480382&forum=99

Also, one of the devs recently stated that a ... oh, I see you poseted in that thread already LOL. Anyway to answer your question on the NWN 2 forum I agree with the guys here.

Ok, you can get an x1600 pro or 6800xt for around $100 as well. Both support SM 3, however, they are both much slower than that x850.

Anyway, you will be able to play the game with any of these cards mentioned.

Cyrinn said:
I agree, that x850 flies for an AGP card, but remember that it only supports shader model 2 and NWN 2 is made for shader model 3. You will easily "pull off" the game with that card, but will have to run it with some eye candy off. I would check out the NWN 2 forums for more info... here is one of many helpful links: http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=480382&forum=99

Also, one of the devs recently stated that a ... oh, I see you poseted in that thread already LOL. Anyway to answer your question on the NWN 2 forum I agree with the guys here.

Ok, you can get an x1600 pro or 6800xt for around $100 as well. Both support SM 3, however, they are both much slower than that x850.

Anyway, you will be able to play the game with any of these cards mentioned.

Actually your link says it supports shader model 2 and 3...

Actually your link says it supports shader model 2 and 3...

Heh, I guess I erased the part where I mentioned that it supports shader model 2 when I edited my post (hence my support for the x850). But I did mention that the x850 would run the game fine with some eye candy off as a result of the lack for SM 3 support.

I just returned Nvidia 7600GS and bought x850 XT PE. it is much better than 7600GS in gaming and DVD playback.

Be careful, 850XT got a very loud fan. You might want to buy Arctic Cooling Silence 5 for better cooling and quiet

Thanks guys I will contact Newegg and see what damage will be done, if they will charge the 15% restock fee.

So lets say I can pump out 120-130 what card do you suggest? What is the best bang for the buck? I may be able to pull off 200 for something if something is spectacular in comparison, but I would rather save for later. Or should I drop $33 for 256mb of Corsair ram?

As far as other upgrades, I know I need another 256mb of ram but I think I may have to wait and later buy 1gb of pc3200 dual channel ddr. I still have sb Audigy I but for now it does the job and I don't see a need to change. The hd is a 100gb Maxtor ultra ata 133, no SATA yet.

Thanks again the 100 card looks good lloose. New Egg says just refuse the package and they will refund the money about 3-5 days after the return, so it looks like I may be waiting two weeks for a card but I don't need one until after Oct.31 anyway.

Or I may get impatient and order before then.

I am just glad I came here before I put it in, to bad I did not think of this forum before buying it.

I fear the open box warranty or I would do it instead I am doing the new PE edition X850xt, and I figure what the heck I will order today.

NWNII does not NEED SM3.0 so for now this is more than good enough.

iirc its a returned item tested by newegg. it might, and probably will, be missing all accessories. 15 day limited warranty. newegg says "you are taking a risk buying open box items". dont fuck with it. i think refurbs (tested and or repaired by manufacturer) are now called recertified. the new versions of the open box items often have rebates. the price you are paying for the open box item is higher than the price after rebate, which for some reason you are not getting. i repeat, dont fuck wth it.

Agreed, I don't understand that policy Circuit City open box items still carry full warranties.

You will notice gaming will take a huge hit with the X1300XT. That card is best meant for desktop only work- NO gaming (or nothing significant anyways...) Next time look up some benchmarks and reviews online ;) if you do your research you will get better results for your money!

Back