• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Opinions on Controllers for PC

I have 2 broadcom adapters and an ASUS one and they all drop d-pad inputs on a regular basis. The easiest way to see it is in training mode for SF4 and then trying to do a spinning piledriver 9360 grab) with Zangief, T. Hawk, Hakan, etc.
I'm no pro player, but I can hit those moves 95% of the time out of the blue. For some reason I was just never hitting them on the PC, so I started looking at the input data. To do those you have to touch 6 different directions and hit a button all in about 1/4 second. When looking at the input data, it just didn't seem to register all of those inputs consistently. Sometimes it would miss one of the directions, sometimes the button press, sometimes both. It's even worse with a super/ultra move that requires a 720. Even jumping around and giving the controller extra rotations I'm only able to hit those maybe 20% of the time...while it's a borderline 100% move when you normally jump.

Its interesting investigating this... compared to some other devices on the PC. My Logitech G700 has issues at times when I go wireless, the di novo keyboard too. But not controllers. DS4, wiimotes with the bluetooth, the 360 with its dongle. Cheap receivers? Interference? A keyboard going out is more concerning than a controller, let me tell you... Maybe I'll try the receivers on the front to see if theres a difference...
 
Currently using a Logitech F510 which is not bad. Was gonna upgrade to a DS4 but decided to wait for the Steam controller this spring. Will wait for reviews then decide around then, don't have a need for one right now.
 
I believe Microsoft is coming out with a wired version of the Xbone controller soon which will primarily be marketed for PC? That'd probably be the new best thing just due to it having a legit D-pad. I love the 360 controller for most things, but man, I've died so much unnecessarily playing classic games on the D-pad.
 
I currently use a PS3 controller with a cheap BTD 211 bluetooth adapter. You have to install MotioninJoy, but thankfully once the driver for it is installed, you can use BatterDS3 as a front-end instead.
 
Nvdia's Shields Tablet controller is pretty damned good. Two caveats..
1.wired only at the moment.
2.nvidia gpu required.

Other than that, it's pretty solid with rumble support also.
 
I still prefer the feel of the PS2 controller, especially for retro games because of the D-pad. Also works fine in most modern games using the x360ce program to emulate a 360 controller. Switching from the 360 pad to a PS2 controller in Dark Souls made a pretty big difference in terms of responsiveness and accuracy for me. I really hate the analog triggers they put on new controllers, especially since most games don't use them and they feel really weird otherwise.
 
I love my 360 controller for some games while playing Steam, but I recently got Mortal Kombat Komplete and starting to doubt the 360s performance.
 
How good is the range on the MS wireless controller?

I am thinking for Shadows of Mordor I may want to play with a controller on my TV, but my PC is about 6-8 feet behind and off to the side of my couch.
 
How good is the range on the MS wireless controller?

I am thinking for Shadows of Mordor I may want to play with a controller on my TV, but my PC is about 6-8 feet behind and off to the side of my couch.

I use a knock off wireless adapter, and sit about 8 feet away works fine.
 
If you play a lot of indie games on Steam, a 360 controller is great to have since it is almost always the main one developers focus their support on.
 
I would love to try the Xbone controller wirelessly, but Microsoft.
 
I like the PS3 controller with the special drivers as well as some others said (I think MotionInJoy uses the same as DS4Tool etc?). In Xbox360 emulation mode, the games autotune like it's the same thing.

But yeah, I find there are plenty of games where the kb+m is still the way to go. For instance I would not play Borderlands 2 on a controller unless I was just trying to get away from my computer desk. So when you take out those kb+m games, I'm left with conole-y games where a horrendous dpad is ok, where I wouldnt mind using a 360 controller. Hence, I've switched to just using the PS3 controller 99% of the time (not counting kb+m games).
 
Well as others have said the 360 controller is the safest bet. Its only downside is the crappy d-pad. I would recommend trying a third party 360 controller that uses a "+" design on the d-pad since that might be more precise than the MS official version.
http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Pro-Wired-Controller-Xbox-360/dp/B00C694LNK/ref=pd_cp_vg_2

The MS version with the floating d-pad also sounds decent but is overpriced.

For retro games or emulation try a usb snes or genesis controller. There are a whole bunch on amazon, check the reviews for the popular ones.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top