Operating System that does nothing but display a picture upon boot?

romnation

n00b
I am looking for an operating system or some other sort of solution that will allow the computer to do nothing but display a static image indefinitely. This going to be used on a monitor that is going to display the company directory in our lobby. I just need a simple way to show the image indefinitely.

Windows can do this easily.

1. Auto log on
2. Scheduled task that opens up whatever file you need in fullscreen mode. If it is a picture, just use IE, and tell it to open up in fullscreen mode.

There is a whole class of equipment called "ePosters". Some of them are actually smart, others are only smart due to backend server support.

We briefly looked at http://www.viewsonic.com/us/digital-signage/eposters.html for a client, but this is on hold until another project has completed before we can determine whether or not this product meets their needs for displaying meeting information near the entrances of conference rooms. IIRC, this product required a backend computer running a web server that this device pulls a pre-generated graphic from.

I never understood the logic behind doing this instead of just using a simple sign.

It is marketing, plain and simple.

Much like having an impressive board/conference room and wall of granite in your lobby. Form over function.

But these things are important for those who tend to these matters. And matters little to those who sit in windowless cubes in basements of buildings. :)

Windows can do this easily.

1. Auto log on
2. Scheduled task that opens up whatever file you need in fullscreen mode. If it is a picture, just use IE, and tell it to open up in fullscreen mode.

This is probably the best solution to the problem.

Expanding out from there when higher ups think digital signage needs to go everywhere, you may want to give Xibo a look.

Last edited:
It is marketing, plain and simple.

Much like having an impressive board/conference room and wall of granite in your lobby. Form over function.

But these things are important for those who tend to these matters. And matters little to those who sit in windowless cubes in basements of buildings. :)

I guess, but really, who finds a monitor displaying a building's directory "impressive"? At least the granite slab gives a sense of importance and accomplishment.

1. Set a desktop background or one that cycles (The image may burn in if you have just one ...)
2. Right click on desktop. Click View->Show Desktop Items.
3. Right click taskbar - Properties - Auto Hide

I never understood the logic behind doing this instead of just using a simple sign.

People would rather waste electricity and the rare minerals like coltan used to build a TV than waste paper.

People would rather waste electricity and the rare minerals like coltan used to build a TV than waste paper.

By a poster, frame it, and it lasts forever...an LCD lasts how many years before it craps out or is broken on average?

We use a Lenovo M92e (teeny tiny PC) connected to 45 inch TV's to display schedules all around campus.
Like above, auto logon, no screen saver, no sleep settings, but we have Chrome as the windows shell with a preset web page (heres ONE I was messing with

By a poster, frame it, and it lasts forever...an LCD lasts how many years before it craps out or is broken on average?

Someone was trying to reason this with me a few years ago by saying you can change what you wish to display with the LCD, but I've always found this to be rather silly logic....You can replace a poster many, many times before the expense and environmental harm of printing posters exceeds the environmental harm of creating a TV or the company's expense of buying the TV.

Someone was trying to reason this with me a few years ago by saying you can change what you wish to display with the LCD, but I've always found this to be rather silly logic....You can replace a poster many, many times before the expense and environmental harm of printing posters exceeds the environmental harm of creating a TV or the company's expense of buying the TV.

Very true. If you go for digital signage, you really need to leverage what the technology lets you do over traditional signage or else you should just stick with static print.
Some advantages:
  • Rotating content/advertisements - Multiple ads, one screen, all in your lobby!!!
  • dynamically updated content - basically whatever you can script out of available datasources - weather, current stock price, current and upcoming meetings/events, etc..
  • automate layout changes for special events - holidays, seasons, etc..
  • animated content
  • audio - if you can pull it off without being annoying
  • single point to update multiple signage points at one time. (cost savings dependent on scale of deployment - interns and paper are comparatively inexpensive but it can be overcome)

To make it worthwhile you really need a respectable number of endpoints, and competent marketing/graphics designer/programmer team to make the magic happen. Figure out if the costs of them, TVs/signage displays, miniPCs, network/power runs (signage ends up in some interesting places), endpoint management (windows/linux/android will all need to be updated and maintained at some level), and other IT dept resources are worth the end product envisioned.

Is it? A Windows license is ~$100.
Could be... Magical variables of Microsoft licensing. :D Maybe they have a site license, or have extra licenses, or one came with the PC, or are fine running out of compliance..

You could also change it out for a Raspberry Pi with linux and use the same overall solution.

Back