TechieSooner
Supreme [H]ardness
- Joined
- Nov 7, 2007
- Messages
- 7,601
Having used Internet Explorer and Firefox in the past, I had never quite tried Opera before for any extent of time (mainly just to test webpage functionality). I must say I was quite happy with the experience, and here are some of my reasons for this opinion.
Compatibility is great. I still find some sites in which Internet Explorer and Firefox don’t work the same, but Opera seems to work with just about everything I have tried.
Synchronization. Setup a logon account with Opera, and your bookmarks are shared between both the work and home PCs (or any other machine you’ve got it set to).
Full-screen. I rarely use this feature, but find it beats both IE and FF in this matter… Displays the page correctly, unlike IE and FF which (at times) display incorrectly.
Auto-Refresh. Simply built-in. Auto-refresh an Ebay auction at the interval you specify, or a Woot-Off page.
Close tabs without having to have them active. Mainly aimed at IE- I hate the fact it cannot do this.
Download Manager- Enough said. Only thing I wish this could do this in the background without having to open another tab (perhaps I haven’t found that setting yet).
The Wand. Stores passwords, and an autofill. Sorely lacking feature of IE.
Delete Cookies/Temp Files feature. In IE- you either delete ALL your info, or none of it. Opera defaults to not deleting any passwords… Great feature.
Widgets… Really the only one that appealed to me was Pandora, but fantastic idea.
Speed Dial. Basically equivalent to IE7’s new tab button, but when you hit it you optionally have the ability to go to any number of sites you have setup in the Speed Dial with one click.
Less memory used than IE7.
Areas Lacking
Add more things to synchronize… Or at least give me the option to sync: Home Page, the Wand (I realize work addresses, etc would be different- so not big deal), and some settings.
Widgets… Might just be this particular widget, but I dislike how the Pandora widget is always visible somewhere. Maybe not while browsing, but it is then visible floating around on your desktop.
Screen-area. IE7 still has this beat (As well as FF) in screen real-estate. An option (which I have not found) to remove the File/Edit, etc menu would be nice (like IE7), being you can access all those options elsewhere.
Bookmarks. When you open Favorites in IE7 (Can’t remember behavior in FF as I don’t have it on this machine), when you choose a favorite- the menu gets out of the way. Opera’s still stays open, if you use it via the panel.
Edit- ADD- No "search as you type"
Edit 2- ADD- Not compatible with Outlook Web Access.
All in all- quite a nice browser, IMO. Will be giving it 100% of my attention everywhere I use a web browser this next week to really try it out, but it may very well become my next used browser!
Compatibility is great. I still find some sites in which Internet Explorer and Firefox don’t work the same, but Opera seems to work with just about everything I have tried.
Synchronization. Setup a logon account with Opera, and your bookmarks are shared between both the work and home PCs (or any other machine you’ve got it set to).
Full-screen. I rarely use this feature, but find it beats both IE and FF in this matter… Displays the page correctly, unlike IE and FF which (at times) display incorrectly.
Auto-Refresh. Simply built-in. Auto-refresh an Ebay auction at the interval you specify, or a Woot-Off page.
Close tabs without having to have them active. Mainly aimed at IE- I hate the fact it cannot do this.
Download Manager- Enough said. Only thing I wish this could do this in the background without having to open another tab (perhaps I haven’t found that setting yet).
The Wand. Stores passwords, and an autofill. Sorely lacking feature of IE.
Delete Cookies/Temp Files feature. In IE- you either delete ALL your info, or none of it. Opera defaults to not deleting any passwords… Great feature.
Widgets… Really the only one that appealed to me was Pandora, but fantastic idea.
Speed Dial. Basically equivalent to IE7’s new tab button, but when you hit it you optionally have the ability to go to any number of sites you have setup in the Speed Dial with one click.
Less memory used than IE7.
Areas Lacking
Add more things to synchronize… Or at least give me the option to sync: Home Page, the Wand (I realize work addresses, etc would be different- so not big deal), and some settings.
Widgets… Might just be this particular widget, but I dislike how the Pandora widget is always visible somewhere. Maybe not while browsing, but it is then visible floating around on your desktop.
Screen-area. IE7 still has this beat (As well as FF) in screen real-estate. An option (which I have not found) to remove the File/Edit, etc menu would be nice (like IE7), being you can access all those options elsewhere.
Bookmarks. When you open Favorites in IE7 (Can’t remember behavior in FF as I don’t have it on this machine), when you choose a favorite- the menu gets out of the way. Opera’s still stays open, if you use it via the panel.
Edit- ADD- No "search as you type"
Edit 2- ADD- Not compatible with Outlook Web Access.
All in all- quite a nice browser, IMO. Will be giving it 100% of my attention everywhere I use a web browser this next week to really try it out, but it may very well become my next used browser!