• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Opera 8 beta 2 released

Well, I've already suggested they stop treating Opera 8 the same as 6.04 about two or three days after the switched us via that very form. No response so far, but, I never have seen any response on my less, ah, fussy suggestions.

BTW, one of the journal entries was saying that if gmail loads up blank, the solution is to try resizing the window.

Oh, and "opera are doing their best"? It's not opera's fault gmail insists on using proprietary code as well as very carefully singling out browsers to control output to. I blame only Google for this, never Opera.
 
Meant that Opera was doing their best to get around Gmail's ongoing plot to annoy Opera users.
 
ROFL! Just for fun:
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fgmail.google.com%2F&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&ss=1&outline=1&sp=1&No200=1&verbose=1

Bear in mind, this is just the login page alone... You know, those few lines of text and a small form... How the heck google managed to put so much code behind such a simple thing is beyond me...

No wonder they have so many problems with browser support!!!

EDIT: Just figured out what the problem was all along. I had created a UA.INI file because I didn't get one when I was trying to use this method for the first time (when B2 first came out.) I deleted my UA.INI and used the check for new versions to generate a new one. I think I figured out the problem. At the top, in the commented out part, it tells me the file is stored in UTF-8 format. I set my editor creates files as standard dos/windows text instead of UTF-8 because I need maximum compatibility. I bet the problem was that all along. Anyway, problem solved.
 
Nazo said:
ROFL! Just for fun:
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fgmail.google.com%2F&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&ss=1&outline=1&sp=1&No200=1&verbose=1

Bear in mind, this is just the login page alone... You know, those few lines of text and a small form... How the heck google managed to put so much code behind such a simple thing is beyond me...

No wonder they have so many problems with browser support!!!

Yeh, that is so goofy that they have all that code for a simple login page.

EDIT: Just figured out what the problem was all along. I had created a UA.INI file because I didn't get one when I was trying to use this method for the first time (when B2 first came out.) I deleted my UA.INI and used the check for new versions to generate a new one. I think I figured out the problem. At the top, in the commented out part, it tells me the file is stored in UTF-8 format. I set my editor creates files as standard dos/windows text instead of UTF-8 because I need maximum compatibility. I bet the problem was that all along. Anyway, problem solved.

Oh, I see. Yeh, my ua.ini was downloaded by the update option and then I edited with EditPlus, which by default, saves to the format of the file detected when it was loaded. I think all Opera ini files are in UTF-8, but I forget about that.

I'll be sure to take note of this, just in case anyone else has problems.
 
They all save as the input (as far as I know of anyway.) Problem is, when making a new file, few default to UTF-8, so people have to bear that in mind. Also, no one mentioned that it had these lines at the top:

code:
[Identity]


I guess they must not be required because I saw no mention of them anywhere.

Anyway, most important thing, be sure to save as UTF-8 format if making a new file or whatever.
 
Tangent said:
Opera8 b3 is giving me trouble on gmail as well. It appears to load up normally, but the screen stays blank. Once I hit F12 and change the Identify As, just click on the one that it's currently using, or even just click on another browsing tab and then back on the gmail tab the screen pops up... :confused:

This could be a display bug introduced in 8 beta 3 too. I've seen a few post on it so, it is known.
 
Maybe try adjusting the redraw setting in the options? I have mine set to "redraw instantly."
 
This works better for gmail.

Have all 3 of these in ua.ini

gmail.google.com=2
www.gmail.com=2
www.google.com=2
 
I'll say one thing about this newest beta. Beta 2 had somehow gotten a little slower and all, and when I closed it it was still in memory for something like 5-10 minutes. Beta 3 on the other hand has all the good things of beta 2, but, it doesn't do that (thank goodness because shutting down would often cause Opera's process to be killed since it wouldn't exit in a timely manner, so when I started it back it thought it crashed many times that it didn't.)

I sure could do without this whole new menu system though. I prefered the old one. And why the heck is there only one choice for language? I always liked the whole select more than one and prioritize thing. For example, I liked to put en-us above plain en because I'd rather get pages specifically targeting my dialect than some generic english meant to be worldwide (and therefore a little tougher to read for someone who grew up in the US.) At least, in theory this is what could happen, though I admit in practice it's not used much. Nonetheless, if they still have the option, I don't see how to do it. I can only select one language now.

What's so great about the new menu system anyway? It's just a little dumbed down is all. Were people getting confused in the old system that easily?

Other than that one complaint, I have only run into one or two minor bugs here and there. It still crashes less than IE even dreams of (I think I've had one crash total so far) and runs as smoothly as ever on a modern system (can't run 8 on my ancient laptop with 40MB of ram though. For it I'm actually glad for the HTML gmail as it lets me use my old copy of Opera 6.06.)
 
Quick comments about the reasoning behind the new dialog:

We wanted to make the most important/basic settings more easily available while keeping most of the old settings.

For instance, Personal Information used to be burried in a long list, now we try to invite users to fill in their data since it adds valuable functionality to the daily use of Opera.

One can argue that you hardly ever change the Wand settings, so they shouldn't be as prominent, but we feel that too few people actually took advantage of it (and got a worse experience) and wanted to change that. "Special" fields are probably coming back, btw.

Same thing with the choice to use tabs or windows, it should be on the opening page of Preferences so we don't have to bother the user with difficult questions on first start-up.

The language choice is not entirely finished, but the idea is again to lead the user to make a choice when it matters to them. Web language was a fairly advanced choice previously for a very basic functionality.

"Advanced" is meant for settings you shouldn't need to touch the first few days you try the product, but not necessarily things you never change - as we all know by now


There's a button that you can place on any toolbar to get the old preferences. Whether the workaround stays or not I don't know. The button is in this thread. Drag it to a toolbar or click on it to add it.

I too do not like the new preferences, but the old one was confusing people. (not sure why).

Keep in mind that all the settings didn't make it into the new preferences layout. However, they are still planning on getting get rid of some stuff, and we all are throwing a fit about it, so we'll see.
 
Ah, that appears to do it. Thanks for the info. Problem now solved.

IMO, they should just stick a little toggle button in the options.... That's all it'd take to satisfy everyone. Have it default to off, that's ok with me. Call it advanced preferences or something and hide some of the really complex stuff like proxy settings maybe from the new system. That way, it's dumbed down enough to satisfy everyone while still providing all that's needed.
 
Back
Top