Opera 10.63 Is Out

ive been using opera since before firefox existed. tabs, mouse gestures, smoother scroll, customizable menus, all got me away from IE.

firefox is too slow for me.

I also don't buy this "estimated" 120M users, either

The new report is ~140 million. The one I mentioned was a little outdated.

~70 million of that is from Opera mini on phones. It's safe to say that is a legit and accurate count of active users as the connections all run through Opera's servers where they can keep track of that.

Sure, who knows how accurate the Desktop usage is. It could be way more or way less or right on. But, at least for users who use Opera turbo, that runs through their servers too, so that part of the dataset should be accurate.

Considering how popular Opera is in Russia and lots of places in the east, these numbers don't seem so far fetched. And, with Firefox having just that amount in Europe and about 2.5+ (in april) times more world wide, Opera's usage numbers don't seem very odd. Opera just has low numbers in the U.S.

FF is shit and only good for badly coded sites (kijiji and fracking image upload)
chrome is good but lacking some things i need
safari is a joke and installs like 20 services in the background
IE sucks until 9 comes out and it will still suck but at least it will be faster

Peacekeeper-1.jpg

Well after reading this I decided to give Opera a go and well... It's fast has hell. Seems much faster than chrome on most sites. I do think it has alot of features I will never use. and the whole bookmark system is crap. But this might just be my new main!

i use Opera as my main, and firefox as my secondary with gmail running on it

have triple screens, easier to keep 2 browsers separate...

Then you grow up and realize that whatever you use is whatever you use, no big deal. Personally, I like Opera but never really saw any point in using it myself.

Mostly, I just use IE8 and Firefox 3 or 4 and am perfectly content with it.

Just :rolleyes: at "faster" browsers, because as we all know, it is really important that a site loads 1/32nd of a second faster.

Other than that, unless other browsers come up with the add-on that can't be named on [H] FireFox is the way to go.

Just :rolleyes: at "faster" browsers, because as we all know, it is really important that a site loads 1/32nd of a second faster.

Other than that, unless other browsers come up with the add-on that can't be named on [H] FireFox is the way to go.

speed is the icing on the cake

opera has a hellva lot more features built in

bit torrent out of the box!
sync
mouse gestures
tab customization - you can move the tabs to any side of the screen you want, its pretty stupid to have the tables on the top, they keep changing size and you cant read the text after a certain number, having tabs on the left is much more usable, they always stay the same size, always readable
find is much better on opera - ? + seach term auto highlights everything matching and darkens the rest

I used to use opera back in the FF 2.0 days. I have always disliked FF and thought it was very slow so i used opera until chrome came out.

The absolute biggest gripe i have with opera is that by default they block most right click context menus and make you alt right click to access them. Its inconsistent and strange because some sites work and some dont. The most annoying thing is that this is an issue that has persisted for over 5 freaking years now with no resolution.

Opera mini on android has turned out pretty damn good, a year ago it was complete shit (on my phone anyway).

They are responsible for tons of innovations so i keep checking them out but right now theres no reason for me to use opera over chrome. They are pretty much identical in speed but chrome offers more with extensions.

I agree for the most part that some people take the benchmarks too seriously but FF really has become a pig. When 3.0 was released it was nice and fast but its like every update since slows it down more and more and more.

Also since i am bored enough, i discussed this on another forum but mozilla has just become shameless and lazy.

G3rk4.png

Why bother being original when you can just copy/paste the competitions design?

The absolute biggest gripe i have with opera is that by default they block most right click context menus and make you alt right click to access them. Its inconsistent and strange because some sites work and some dont. The most annoying thing is that this is an issue that has persisted for over 5 freaking years now with no resolution.
Just wondering if that issue is fixed by toggling user_mode || author_mode about which I posted earlier in this thread.
Thought I'd post this ...
I know of one major news portal site which has slow "choose source" lags that are very annoying, switching modes makes it better than any other browser ( switch to user mode... briefly click each source ... by the time one scrolls down ( top stories >> world news >> u.s. news >> etc) within each category, the loads have already completed onto the page.

Just wondering if that issue is fixed by toggling user_mode || author_mode about which I posted earlier in this thread.
Thought I'd post this ...
I know of one major news portal site which has slow "choose source" lags that are very annoying, switching modes makes it better than any other browser ( switch to user mode... briefly click each source ... by the time one scrolls down ( top stories >> world news >> u.s. news >> etc) within each category, the loads have already completed onto the page.

How do you do that? I will give it a shot.

The absolute biggest gripe i have with opera is that by default they block most right click context menus and make you alt right click to access them

Could you be more specific? I've never had to alt + right-click anything in Opera.

You porbably didnt even know you where missing anything.

here is an example

http://www.openjs.com/scripts/ui/context_menu/demo.php

Many menus like that do not work right in opera. I will say though the support is WAY better but for things like webUIs for torrentboxes its still 50/50 and can be annoying.

Oh, if you're talking about 'contextmenu' event support, that was only added in Opera recently. Its support is even turned on by default.

Since it's pretty new in Opera, if you find a bug, there's a chance that Opera doesn't know about it. You could file a bug on it if you want. You can post the bug number here minus the @... part and I'll inform someone about it. That page seems to work fine though.

Before Opera had support for the event, you could still detect right-clicks with JS. But, that was disabled by default because of sites trying to block the browser's native context menu.

Oh, if you're talking about 'contextmenu' event support, that was only added in Opera recently. Its support is even turned on by default.

Since it's pretty new in Opera, if you find a bug, there's a chance that Opera doesn't know about it. You could file a bug on it if you want. You can post the bug number here minus the @... part and I'll inform someone about it. That page seems to work fine though.

Before Opera had support for the event, you could still detect right-clicks with JS. But, that was disabled by default because of sites trying to block the browser's native context menu.

Yeah, its much better but honestly its an issue that opera had for over 5 freaking years and just now got around to bothering with. They are more concerned with aesthetics than they are actual usability which is why i cant get behind them.

They are more concerned with aesthetics than they are actual usability.

In this particular case, the reason it took so long is that most Opera users and most Opera devs didn't want this feature as they felt it wasn't right to let a web site override your context menu. Overriding the context menu is especially bad in Opera as Opera users often customize that menu with all kinds of actions. So, increasing usability in the web page can decrease usability in the UI.

Some felt so strongly about this that they didn't even want it as a non-default option as it was considered a security vulnerability.

Unfortunately, it took years and years of arguing, studies and usability proposals. Finally, I think they just said f it and implemented it. There are still lots of Opera users that are not happy that this was implemented though.

To be fair to Opera, you can see long-standing issues in any browser.

which is why i cant get behind them

Fair enough.

and the whole bookmark system is crap

In Opera, I just bookmark things. I don't go into the bookmarks panel or "manage bookmarks" very often to try and edit, search and organize them. Instead, I just type part of the bookmark in the address field and select it from the drop-down. I do sometimes add keywords to a bookmark though.

What exactly don't you like about the bookmarks system. Is the bookmark management UI just horrible? I don't think it's all that great myself. But, I don't think other browsers' bookmarks systems are great either.

How do you do that? I will give it a shot.

If you mean how to do the toggle, one can toggle usermode-authormode
using View >> Style >> user mode ... author mode. I have that setup as a button in *maybe* the status bar, ( I had to search as to how to put it there, it was easy, but I could not do it now without re-searching ) [ it might not be the status bar, it has..
find in page ... find next ... || authormode (toggle)|| fit to width (toggle) || magnification (status and choice box) ]

You porbably didnt even know you where missing anything.

here is an example

http://www.openjs.com/scripts/ui/context_menu/demo.php

Many menus like that do not work right in opera. I will say though the support is WAY better but for things like webUIs for torrentboxes its still 50/50 and can be annoying.
*Gag*

First question. Is there a setting buried in Opera's config settings where I can stop sites from doing that?

Second question: If the first one is negative, is there any alternate way to get access to all the items hanging on the browsers context menu; or have they given every 2 bit website the ability to blight my monitor with un-blockable seizure/vomit inducing advertisements?

*Gag*

First question. Is there a setting buried in Opera's config settings where I can stop sites from doing that?

Second question: If the first one is negative, is there any alternate way to get access to all the items hanging on the browsers context menu; or have they given every 2 bit website the ability to blight my monitor with un-blockable seizure/vomit inducing advertisements?

When have you ever seen a right click context menu as an advertisement?

Another Opera user reporting in, been using it since version 4.something. Actually had a paid license for it too.

When have you ever seen a right click context menu as an advertisement?
You misunderstand. Opera's ad blocker is launched from the context menu; and I can't find it in the main menu. Unless I'm missing where it's hiding, any page doing this would block access to the adblocker to allow them to be hidden.

You misunderstand. Opera's ad blocker is launched from the context menu; and I can't find it in the main menu. Unless I'm missing where it's hiding, any page doing this would block access to the adblocker to allow them to be hidden.

Let me rephrase then, how many ads have you seen with custom right click context menus that would even block the opera menu? When you run across such an ad then be concerned until then whats the problem?

Shift + F12
Buttons
Browser
Browser View

I drag the View button to right end of the address bar. Then, when you click it, a whole another bar pops down with stuff like switching between author/user mode.

Then, because that toolbar has zoom and fit-to-width etc., I turn off their equivalents in the status bar. The view bar is awesome.

By that logic a bottle of nitroglycerin strapped to your body isn't a danger until it actually goes kaboom. I disagree.

By that logic a bottle of nitroglycerin strapped to your body isn't a danger until it actually goes kaboom. I disagree.

No, by that logic you shouldn't be worried about cows raised in russia with nitroglycerin strapped to their bodies attacking you in the airport. See the difference?

no out of box touch nor Windows 7 Superbar support
What do you mean? It supports all the features of the Windows 7 taskbar.

Like it? Use it. Leave the rest of us alone. You bring the haters out of us...we really don't care about Opera, and if it disappeared tomorrow we wouldn't notice.
Says the guy who is posting in a thread about Opera. Talk about self-ownage.

Traded on a foreign, no name exchange on a non "financial" norm currency (makes reading income statements confusing, as I don't know what the conversions are). Vague, non standard financial reports with no mention of debt holdings, and I don't buy for a second they don't have debt holdings. I also don't buy this "estimated" 120M users, either.

As an investor, I wouldn't touch them.
Heh. Opera is on the Oslo Stock Exchange, which is located in Norway, one of the biggest oil exporters in the world, and a filthy rich country. It's also one of the most developed countries. US companies like JP Morgan have invested heavily in Opera. But hey, I guess you know better than the likes of JP Morgan, eh?

Their financial reports are not at all vague and non standard. Maybe it takes a minimum of knowledge to read them, though. All their debt (or lack of it, since they are in fact profitable and have a sizable pile of cash in the bank) is listed right there.

As for the Norwegian currency, NOK, it is currently beating the sh*t out of the USD.

5 desktop users and 139.9 million wii's and mobile browsers.
Nope. More than 50 million desktop users, then 60-80 million mobile users, and 10-20 million users on various devices (like Wii). Apparently.

Opera needs to stick to Mobile where they are dominant...leave the desktops to the big boys
Why would they? Their desktop user base has more than doubled in less than 2 years. More than 1/3 of their total revenue is from the desktop version. Also, where would the other browsers get all their features from if Opera stopped inventing stuff? :D

Funny...someone says Opera sux then an Opera fanboi says firefox, google, etc. sux and your just a firefox fanboi...pot kettle black anyone?
Who said that Firefox and Google suck? They are awesome browsers. Isn't it great to have the choice? But reading some of the nonsense being posted here, it sounds like people don't want there to be choice. It's sad, really. Bashing people for choosing differently. Not just sad, but also a bit pathetic.

Nope. More than 50 million desktop users, then 60-80 million mobile users, and 10-20 million users on various devices (like Wii). Apparently.

Dude your fanboy is showing. You brought this thread back from the dead so you can make 5 freaking posts in 30 minutes? Seriously?

Back