Open "case" ideas.

Hugin

n00b
Looking for ideas/inspiration for an open case, this is what i have too put in it.

2x Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta 480mm.
inno3d 3090 ichill frostbite.
1x Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge - Plexi Chrome Digital RGB.
13x120mm fans.
3x140mm fans.
Motherboard:ASUS ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING.
Alphacool tube AlphaTube TPV 16/10 - Black Matte 3,3m (10ft)
Alphacool Eiszapfen 16/10mm compression fittings.
Right now it's in a 1000D but I need something as light as possible, i can take with me. I have access to a 3D printer, if someone know any sites where i can find inspiration/blueprints.

Lightest you'll be able to get is by making a frame which uses the radiators/fans as support structure, with a diy atx motherboard tray attached somewhere, and you'll probably have to drag it around in luggage with how big it is.

I use a TT P90 case you could mod it easily.
1618679434056.png

Fwiw, I have an air cooled itx system with just a couple 92mm fans that I carry with a monitor, kb, and headphones in some luggage. It is not light. It could be lighter, if I had an alu case and a kb that wasn't so heafty, but I could probably only shave 10lbs at most. 20lbs or so if I also exclude the monitor.

Any steel case large enough to house those radiators is going to be HEAVY, especially with the loop filled, even if it's an open air case (they need to add some mass to increase rigidity). A plastic case would need to be very well designed to not get damaged while moving such a heavy build. An open air alu case might work, but you would still need to be very careful not to damage it or parts on it during transport.

Reactions: Hugin
like this
Lightest you'll be able to get is by making a frame which uses the radiators/fans as support structure, with a diy atx motherboard tray attached somewhere, and you'll probably have to drag it around in luggage with how big it is.

Wanna say I have, but I doubt if I could find it again.
I have a Bitfenix Pandora modded to within an inch of its life where an Alphacool Monsta radiator restores the case rigidity/integrity on the fully open bottom. That provided the inspiration for a scratch build where a top and bottom rad serve as structural elements to close out an open ended frame. Rads are strong. I fully agree that the “least heavy” option would use the rads as structural elements. I have zero concern that there will be a problem.

Back