Open box mobos

yadnom

Limp Gawd
Any one here regularly buys open box mobo's or has experience with them? I was looking at a mobo from newegg and they have an open box for like $50 less.

It also says it may be missing stuff so I'm a little wary. Missing cables, I could care less as I have access to plenty of them, but if the back plate is missing, that would kind of suck.

Just wanted thoughts on anyone's experience with it.

Most of the time the I/O shield is missing.. but you can pick them up from the manufacturer for around $7 shipped if you call them. Sometimes they'll even send it free.

I don't trust open box boards though. I see too many people get DOA boards. It seems like places like newegg just receive them back and throw them in a new box and ship them back out as an "open box item". For a crucial component like that, I usually feel more comfortable buying brand new with a full warranty and return policy.

Any one here regularly buys open box mobo's or has experience with them? I was looking at a mobo from newegg and they have an open box for like $50 less.

It also says it may be missing stuff so I'm a little wary. Missing cables, I could care less as I have access to plenty of them, but if the back plate is missing, that would kind of suck.

Just wanted thoughts on anyone's experience with it.

I regularly buy open box stuff, I bought an ASUS P5NSLI that served me well for 2 years a few years back, it didn't come with anything but the mobo, I had already downloaded all the drivers, bios updates, etc. before it arrived so I was good to go except I had to order the Q-connector and backplate at the ASUS website, it was less than $20 shipped so I wasn't too worried, I got the board for about 1/2 price so another $20 was no big deal, I also bought an open box ASUS video card as well (8500GT), open box, craigslist, ebay, you name it, anyway to save a few bucks...

Most of the time the I/O shield is missing.. but you can pick them up from the manufacturer for around $7 shipped if you call them. Sometimes they'll even send it free.

I don't trust open box boards though. I see too many people get DOA boards. It seems like places like newegg just receive them back and throw them in a new box and ship them back out as an "open box item". For a crucial component like that, I usually feel more comfortable buying brand new with a full warranty and return policy.

you can return open box products as well, but you better test it right away, the time to allotted to RMA it is pretty short IIRC...

Yea, I think newegg return policy on open box is only 15 days.

I'll probably end up just buying retail for peace of mind, but it would be nice to save some money.

I've bought 3 or 4 open box motherboard and have never had a problem with any of them. I think all of them were just bare boards though. I've found the closer in price to the retail item, the more retail accessories you get ;).

i bought an open box mb for my last build and it wound up being defective, but it did include everything i'd recommend getting it brand new though, if you can afford it

Back