• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Oops?

Chrisroman

Gawd
Joined
May 29, 2011
Messages
692
I added 2 drive to my RAID 6 array tuesday night... about 50% through the expansion the power goes out. But, I'm on UPS... YAY! but only 15 minutes of battery. tick tock... tick tock... 11 minutes into the power outage and 4 minutes from disaster, the power comes back online. YAY! Everything is a-ok.

Next morning I login to check my email and computer locks up. No blue screen, just freezes. omgwtfbbq I think, so I grab a cat5 and plug into the out-of-band and ... YAY! it's still going. So I leave it alone and 32 hours later its done. YAY! + WOOT!

So I expand array to include the extra 2 drives worth of space, no issues. Great. Then I use Paragon to expand the Windows 7 parition. Again, no issues. Great!.

But... windows is not seeing the free space.. Heres a snapshot of the windows 7 disk manager and paragon partition manager.

How do I correct this?

Warning: Large Image.

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/8817/mismatch.jpg
 
Why did you use Paragon to expand the partition? I've used the normal diskpart that's built into Windows to extend GPT volumes many times and never had this happen...

Have you tried running check disk on the volume? Maybe the Paragon resize didn't do something right and check disk will fix the partition boundaries or see the end of it and update accordingly.
 
I am guessing that utility resized the partition without actually resizing the file-system.
 
Not sure what is going on here. Originally diskpart did not see the new space of the expanded array which is why I ended up using Paragon. I went ahead and undid the change in Paragon, rebooted, and went back into dispart. This time the new space was recognized, so I tried to expand the partition in diskpart and I recevied an error "Invalid Parameter". with same results as when Paragon was used. Parition appeared to have expanded fine, but viewing properties showed that the new space was still not recognized.

I've never seen this happen before. But files are intact, so I'm thinking I will just move the data to some new drives, wipe the old partition and copy the data back.

This is the 3rd time I've expanded the raid array and partition. I wonder if that may have something to do with it.
 
wow I bet those minutes after the electricity went out were very long and tense hoping it'd come back up!
 
@fventura03 - no kidding! Even with a UPS a rebuild is still so vulnerable. But 15 minutes was enough this time :)

Well good news. The fix listed here worked. I ended up having to boot into safemode to correct the filesystem. I have no idea what program/service was causing the issue, but safemode did the trick.

Geez, what an adventure this was.
 
Back
Top