Oops

Azphira

[H]ard|Gawd
Changing video cards recently must have been the last straw to expose it.

Reinstalled Windows 7 because of enough hardware changes over the months then started getting alot of bluescreens, first usbuhci.sys, then dxgmmsl.sys, then nothing at all just d1 bluscreen.

Discovered I had inadvertently, when I overclocked my ram, left cas/trc/rp/tras at 7 and the voltage at 1.50 volts when the ram requires 1.64 and 8's at the speed it's running at. It's a miracle the machine even booted.

So far a few hours of prime95 and memtest86 have resulted in no errors or crashes.

One positive thing from this was squashing all the other system issues trying to uncover this one.

So I fixed the voltage, still crashed, took the cpu off auto and set the voltage to what I though was higher, but actually dropped it with no increased crashes or any crashes.

What mostly triggered the reinatall was the usb corrupting files transferred to the external usb drive.

Reinstalled found usb drivers and fixed that. But then thought... if the usb needs drivers to stop corrupting, wouldn't reinstallation of Windows 7 pre-driver from a USB flash drive be a bad idea?

So I reinstalled from dvd this time.... here goes nothing...

If it crashes again, everything goes back to default speeds, then it's time to pick out a cpu and ram for upgrade.

So I fixed the voltage, still crashed, took the cpu off auto and set the voltage to what I though was higher, but actually dropped it with no increased crashes or any crashes.

What mostly triggered the reinatall was the usb corrupting files transferred to the external usb drive.

Reinstalled found usb drivers and fixed that. But then thought... if the usb needs drivers to stop corrupting, wouldn't reinstallation of Windows 7 pre-driver from a USB flash drive be a bad idea?

So I reinstalled from dvd this time.... here goes nothing...

If it crashes again, everything goes back to default speeds, then it's time to pick out a cpu and ram for upgrade.

Well desktop ram is not ECC so running it like that may have introduced a ton of errors into your system (I'm guessing). The first thing I would do if you have any more issues is a fresh install.

Well it wasn't that, and strangely going to 3.4ghz and raised voltage does not increase any frequency of crash so far.

I however looked in msinfo32 and discovered the gtx580 and one of the usb ports share irq16. "usbuhci.sys / dxgmmsl.sys" coincidence? Disabled the offending port, time will tell.

I've concluded the motherboard can no longer hold an overclock.

memtest86 can't fail the ram, and prime95 can't fail the cpu at 3600mhz+, when the machine is left alone. Just random use while overclocked.

So, can anyone recommend a good X58 motherboard that's non Gigabyte?

I took your idea on name but liked the Sabertooth X58 more, the 5 year warranty and the components that are more apt to tolerate heat stressors over time.

Dan at [H] seemed pleased with it even though daydreaming of the Rampage III, And I was waiting for Tom Logan at Overclock3D to propose marriage to it.

what board were you using? i would recommend any classified board from evga or classfied. or an asus but please dont go with foxconn.

I was using a Gigabyte EX58-UD4P.

The Asus Sabertooth X58 arrived about an hour ago, the box looked like UPS sat on it. The motherboard box inside was unharmed though. I guess we'll see how tough it's ''TUF'' is later when I install it.

Back