Ooooookay, it's REALLY time for PC games to go Blu Ray now....

Arct1c0n

Gawd
It's 1999 all over again. And yes, they are dual layer, about 28gigs

cv2d4sX.jpg

zpMYzPe.jpg

Last edited:
I'd be ok with physical media moving to blu ray. Physical media is nice if you're in an area with bandwidth caps or slow internet.

Except I have high speed internet and no Blu Ray in my computer ... it would be nice if you could exchange your DVD discs for a Blu Ray though (if you had a need for that)

I haven't bought a physical copy of a PC game since UT2k4. I am surprised they haven't made a transition to Blu-ray yet though.

I haven't bought a physical copy of a PC game since UT2k4. I am surprised they haven't made a transition to Blu-ray yet though.
They probably figure that most people that would own a bluray player on their computer, would likely be the same people that wouldn't buy a physical disk in the first place and would just download it.

All bluray players also play DVDs, so you its kind of a lowest common denominator catch-all.

I don't think that Blu-ray is as ubiquitous as CD or DVD was (because of the cost and DRM requirements perhaps) ... that is the main reason that PC games haven't made the jump to Blu Ray ... also, with more than 90% of PC game purchases (in the USA) being online I think there has been more focus there

They probably figure that most people that would own a bluray player on their computer, would likely be the same people that wouldn't buy a physical disk in the first place and would just download it.

All bluray players also play DVDs, so you its kind of a lowest common denominator catch-all.

I've never had a bluray player in my PC and technically I've no need for one. Digital downloads and waiting for a few disc swaps has never been a harm to me. The install would probably take about the same time either way. Digital downloads can take awhile and seems to take about the same time as a multidisc install. In the end as long as I can play the game I'm happy!

Digital downloads and waiting for a few disc swaps has never been a harm to me. The install would probably take about the same time either way. Digital downloads can take awhile and seems to take about the same time as a multidisc install. In the end as long as I can play the game I'm happy!

Baby sitting disc swaps is lame as hell though. This install was freaking over an hour, swapping discs and then doing 3 gig day one patch.....

PC games go Blu Ray? Hell, PC gamers are ditching optical drives altogether.

How many people here on [H] have no optical drive in their gaming rig? I bet it's a fairly large number. I myself have a Blu Ray drive, but if I didn't possess the need to rip BDs to my Plex server, I would have never bought one.

No way PC gamers are going to start adopting Blu Ray drives. Physical media, of any type, is falling by the wayside. The last game I bought on physical disk was Fallout 3, and that was only because I had a Dell giftcard and surprisingly, Dell sells (or did sell) PC games on disk. Guess what? That disk is now a coaster on my desk, as I bought Fallout 3 and Fallout: NV on Steam for less than the cost of a pack of smokes.

I think most PCs don't have Blu Ray. Most people don't buy the drives and most laptops don't come with one. Digital downloads is probably a big reason why. I only use my DVD drive for a few things:

1) Windows install.
2) Older games that I only have on CD/DVD.

PC games go Blu Ray? Hell, PC gamers are ditching optical drives altogether.

How many people here on [H] have no optical drive in their gaming rig? I bet it's a fairly large number. I myself have a Blu Ray drive, but if I didn't possess the need to rip BDs to my Plex server, I would have never bought one.

No way PC gamers are going to start adopting Blu Ray drives. Physical media, of any type, is falling by the wayside. The last game I bought on physical disk was Fallout 3, and that was only because I had a Dell giftcard and surprisingly, Dell sells (or did sell) PC games on disk. Guess what? That disk is now a coaster on my desk, as I bought Fallout 3 and Fallout: NV on Steam for less than the cost of a pack of smokes.

I have actually replaced many physical copies I bought years ago with digital copies as well (from both Steam and GOG) ... the benefits and convenience of digital far outweigh the risks (for me) ... the only time I get physical discs now is when I buy some big collector's edition box (Reaper of Souls was the last one of those I bought)

I bought physical copies of Dying Light since it was cheaper than digital,
dying-light-2-copies.jpg

Since it is a Steam game, you just use the code and download it from Steam.

Maybe one day a download service called Steam will be invented, and it'll be amazing because you won't need discs.

The last PC game I purchased on disc was Fallout New Vegas. I've been 100% steam since that point.

100% digital here also, unless it has anything to do with Richard Garriot..... I'm slated for a physical copy of Shroud of the Avatar to go along with all my physical Ultima stuff....

Call me oldschool, but if I'm paying $50-60 for a game, I want the physical copy in my hand. Steam is ok for older games, but newer games I want to see what I bought, not look at it on some download site.

Call me oldschool, but if I'm paying $50-60 for a game, I want the physical copy in my hand. Steam is ok for older games, but newer games I want to see what I bought, not look at it on some download site.

56957271.jpg

I think most PCs don't have Blu Ray. Most people don't buy the drives and most laptops don't come with one. Digital downloads is probably a big reason why. I only use my DVD drive for a few things:

1) Windows install.
2) Older games that I only have on CD/DVD.
Windows installs are WAY faster if you invest in a cheap USB3 thumbdrive.

For the older games, CDs/DVDs were never really designed for long term storage. I wonder if you'd have any difficulty just ripping ISOs along with a text file of your key. Be a lot safer and more convenient I think. :)

I setup each family household with a server that has a bluray drive, that way in the rare instances they have backwards compatibility or can stream the bluray to any HTPC, laptop, etc in the house if need be too.

Why not download the game, and then download a high resolution wallpaper for free to look at or order a physical T-Shirt or poster or keyring or figurine or something that is much more interesting to look at than a CD with a printed label?

I have lots of "gamer swag" or whatever you wanna call it. :D

Why not download the game, and then download a high resolution wallpaper for free to look at or order a physical T-Shirt or poster or keyring or figurine or something that is much more interesting to look at than a CD with a printed label?

Kids just don't get it....

The struggle is real. I'm hoping for a future where huge games don't even need an installation, rather than a source. You just get it, and it works. No software to get the game, no temp files, no DRM. Realistically, maybe just unzip it and open the main exe. Maybe a super-quality USB 3.0 usb stick with the game on it that you literally plug and play. Also have it be shipped with a physical box. Physical boxes and cases are necessary when you buy anything.

Bluray for games looks like it'll be skipped since most PCs don't need a bluray drive.

You buy licences. That's what it always has been.
Think this is crazy?
Try spending $5500 and receive a number in an email. Welcome to the world of software.

Aside from that when you are as old as me you probably realise that all you want in the room with you is your PC, chair, desk and a plant or two. Life without clutter is lovely.

Last edited:
Thats hilarious! I remember installing windows 3.1 and 95 from floppies. Lets just say I don't miss floppies at all.

3.1 and 95 weren't that many floppies. My Newtek Video Toaster 4000 software for my Amiga was on 45 floppies. I think Windows NT 3.51 was on 25 or so floppies, I paid my little sister $5 to swap the floppies on that NT install, lol.

I haven't had an optical drive in my computer for the past 2 years. It has become irrevelant. Even the games that I buy retail it's faster to just download them on steam or origin, or whatever than to install from disc.

I only have an external USB bluray writer but only as a last resort. I maybe used it once since I have it.

Kids just don't get it....

shit, im 36, no way im buying physical shit to take up space and ultimately get tossed anymore. call me lazy. Been there and done that. Havent put an optical drive in my computer for probably 6 years now. Digital all the way.

You could be really retro and ask that they be supplied on locked USB sticks. One might even call them cartridges...

I don't even remember what the last game I bought a physical copy of was...maybe BioShock 2? Seeing as how:

1. You don't own the software on the disc
2. Most discs don't even have the installation media on them
3. 99.9% of discs still require the game to be activated and have DRM through Steam

It makes no sense why physical copies should exist at all, except in a minority of cases where someone has bandwidth caps.

I don't have an optical disc in my PC. What should be happening is that we should be pressuring the FCC to Title II broadband so that everyone in America can have speedy downloads. Those cases do look neat for nostalgia though. ;)

I don't even remember what the last game I bought a physical copy of was...maybe BioShock 2? Seeing as how:

1. You don't own the software on the disc
2. Most discs don't even have the installation media on them
3. 99.9% of discs still require the game to be activated and have DRM through Steam

It makes no sense why physical copies should exist at all, except in a minority of cases where someone has bandwidth caps.

Same here, I couldn't tell you the last physical game I purchased on PC. The last PC game I strictly recall going to a store to purchase was SWAT 4: The Stetchkov Syndicate. So... 9 years ago? There may have been something past then, but I doubt it. Around that time, I was playing more console games than PC games, and by the time I started getting back into PC gaming, I was pretty much all digital.

Back