Only getting 100Mb on a 1000Mb NIC...

InorganicMatter

[H]F Junkie
I have a 1000Mb NIC, Cat5e cable, and a gigabit router. All the necessary equipment. Updated drivers, updated BIOS, no spyware, all the usuals. And yet, my connection is STILL only at 100Mb! What is going on here?!?

Do you have duplexing mode on your NIC and on the switch/router set to auto? If so, you might want to change duplexing on each end to 1000Mbps/Full Duplex to ensure that you are always 1000Mbps.

This can be done on your NIC by right-clicking on My Network Places (assuming you are on Windows 2000 or XP), select Properties, right-click Local Area Connection, select Properties, click on the Configure button underneath the description of your NIC, click the Advanced tab, and look for speed and duplex settings.

Is this what you actually tested or is this what your OS is reporting? If you haven't actually tested your NIC there is no way to be ablsolutely sure that it is not operating at 1000mbps.

Also you only mentioned that you have one gigabit NIC one machine on your switch. Are there other machines with gigabit interfaces? You should also be aware that network speed is affected by cpu usage. So if you are running games, benchmarks, or other cpu heavy utilities (even bittorrent) your speed will be affected.

Which router? Commonly they will only add two ports as gig and rest 10/100. Are all ports gig?

I do not understand why people get GigE at home, especially with Windows boxes. A small network of Windows boxes won't even get close to utilizing it...

LonerVamp said:
I do not understand why people get GigE at home, especially with Windows boxes. A small network of Windows boxes won't even get close to utilizing it...
Yeah, but it's all about peak demand. I may not copy 5gb of stuff over the network often, but when I do I don't want it to take forever. The other reason is futureproofing. I was down a switch for a while, so I got stuck on a 10 mb hub for a while. Try it sometime, it'll make you appreciate the faster stuff.

But then, I have a network of 7 boxes, 3 of them Linux, and I'm only on 100mbit right now without much bottlenecking. The main place I notice the bottleneck is the file server machine, which can write at 60 MB/s, but the ethernet is only 12 MB/s, so it's a real cap. I do tend toward a lot of heavy-duty stuff, though, so I'm probably the exception to the rule.

LonerVamp said:

I wanted to be the first kid on my block with GigE. :D

I have Gb network at home, it worth the extra few bucks... I'm not getting full pop, maybe an avg of 150Mb a second, but it is still 50% faster than a regular setup.

I still trying to find out why i can only upload at 80Mb a second :( but downloading from my server i can do around 200Mb

Back