• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Online backup for multiple computers?

masteraleph

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 22, 2005
Messages
435
I'm wondering if anyone out there has an online backup solution for multiple computers that they like.

Household currently has 2 PCs and 2 Macbook Airs (and a number of mobile devices).

Most of the solutions I'm seeing out there- Backblaze, Crashplan, etc.- seem to charge a flat per computer fee, which would end up making this cost something like $250/year. And it seems like some of them charge extra for external drives, which would make it even more expensive.

Anyone out there have a better, or at least more reasonably priced, solution?
 
Google hosts my domain, and I have something like 10TB available on Google Drive for $10/month/account. Seeing as how it's just me.... only the one account. Would that count? xD

More seriously, you'd be hard pressed to find better then Crashplan. Yes, you'll end up paying a fair chunk of change, but it's also money well spent. You could always run a file server locally, and just back it up to Crashplan?
 
And you should always buy CrashPlan 4 years at a time since the rate is cheaper.

If you decide you don't want the service anymore you can simply cancel through their website and you will automatically be credited back the time you have not used in full which is an amazing policy.
 
If you decide you don't want the service anymore you can simply cancel through their website and you will automatically be credited back the time you have not used in full which is an amazing policy.

Didn't know that about Crashplan. I might take advantage of the multi-year plans because of that.
 
I use crashplan to back up 4 computers, but I dont pay for 4 users. I pay for the individual plan $60 a year.

3 computers backup to my local server, 2 are local and one is my grandmothers PC 550 miles away(for free)
the server backs up to crashplans cloud ($60/yr)
 
A few years ago I started dabbling with pay-as-you-go service from the likes of Amazon and Rackspace. While I wouldn't recommend it for most people, I love it and I think it could work well for the advanced [H] folks. Nothing is automated for me. If you want automatic then you might have to get real good with writing scripts and stuff.
 
I use crashplan to back up 4 computers, but I dont pay for 4 users. I pay for the individual plan $60 a year.

3 computers backup to my local server, 2 are local and one is my grandmothers PC 550 miles away(for free)
the server backs up to crashplans cloud ($60/yr)

Great idea. I might try setting up the Crashplan package on my Synology NAS.
 
the only issue with the free version of crashplan is that it does not have versioning support.
 
Back
Top