OnePlus 9

OP seems to have regressed a bit on their software support at least in terms of how quickly updates and security patches are rolled out with previous gen phones not getting anything for months at a time. They also really need to improve their camera software processing considerably to better compete with the iPhones, Galaxies, and Pixels. So I'm left with only Pixels and Samsung S/Note series phones to consider.

I just got a good deal mint Pixel 5 from FS/FT to hold me over for a while now that my 2 XL is no longer supported, which still annoys me because the hardware still runs great and battery life is still adequate for me. I'm sure it will be good enough for the for the next couple years though should Google invariably disappoint again with the next Pixel if not from a hardware perspective, than they will in pricing at least like they did with the Pixel 5 and all non-a variants before it.

Last edited:
OP seems to have regressed a bit on their software support at least in terms of how quickly updates and security patches are rolled out with previous gen phones not getting anything for months at a time. They also really need to improve their camera software processing considerably to better compete with the iPhones, Galaxies, and Pixels. So I'm left with only Pixels and Samsung S/Note series phones to consider.

I just got a good deal mint Pixel 5 from FS/FT to hold me over for a while now that my 2 XL is no longer supported, which still annoys me because the hardware still runs great and battery life is still adequate for me. I'm sure it will be good enough for the for the next couple years though should Google invariably disappoint again with the next Pixel if not from a hardware perspective, than they will in pricing at least like they did with the Pixel 5 and all non-a variants before it.

One Plus doesn't need to do a ton of fancy software magic because they don't have mediocre sensors like the Pixel and iPhones do. I've never been impressed with an iPhone camera to date and probably never will. (I'm talking about going all the way back to an iPhone 4) Galaxy on the other hand are actually legit and start with great imaging before going a bit too far with post processing. If you're worried about taking great pictures just take RAW and then do the post processing in a photo app and you'll probably end up with better results than Google can muster with all of their AI magic.

For the choice of which phone to get iPhones and Androids are really two quite diverging interests. If you want a good utilitarian phone that covers all of the basic use cases, then hands down buy an iPhone. If you have very specific goals then sure it's probably worth looking into the OnePlus. If you need something like dual SIM, I believe it's one of the few options. I recall seeing talks about eSIM dual sim as a possibility for some phones, but I haven't seen anyone say it's been done, especially not on a US market phone.

I had to make a similar choice like this recently for someone and I would counter T4rd's Pixel suggestion by saying most of the places I looked at with Pixel ownership people weren't that happy with them. One Plus on the other hand seemed to get a lot more praise. We picked up a OnePlus 8 series and I haven't heard of any big issues with it. (Playing phone support person you can bet I'd be hearing about it if it didn't work)

I get why they updated their status quo so much but I love my 5T with earphone jack and rear fingerprint sensor. I'm surprised how well it still works and has no issues. Wouldnt mind an upgrade but until this kicks the bucket I have no reason to yet. Definitely gotten my 550 dollars worth.

The 9 does look like a good phone so far.

I get why they updated their status quo so much but I love my 5T with earphone jack and rear fingerprint sensor. I'm surprised how well it still works and has no issues. Wouldnt mind an upgrade but until this kicks the bucket I have no reason to yet. Definitely gotten my 550 dollars worth.

The 9 does look like a good phone so far.
I've been in a similar boat. I've had my oneplus 6 within a month or two of its release. I'm looking forward to the reviews of the 9 and 9pro. I'm hoping the deal with hasselblad is more than just paying a fee to stick their name on the back

So with OnePlus shooting up to sky high prices now, it's time for the next "OnePlus One" type flagship killer again, and it's not OP. I loved the original OnePlus One, it was $299 and at that time flagships phones were selling for like $700, best thing was the clean smooth OS, Cyanogenmod and had great battery life.

Who is the next OnePlus type phone, selling a spec'd out smartphone for half the price, so that'd be like a $499 phone.

I was looking forward to the 9 Pro, but just can't justify that $1200 price tag :eek:. My Pixel 3XL still performs well enough except for its battery life. I'm still ready for an upgrade... just not $1200 ready!! ;)

Marques says " It's a pretty good phone, but the same old, same old, in regards to a OnePlus phone and the camera, overall it's a fast and smooth OS, with good battery life of 5h SoT. "

Basically he's saying it's an ok phone, not amazing, But pretty good, with ok battery life and a decent camera, but the price keeps going up year to year.

HARD PASS. No offense, but you have to be a special kind of stupid to blow $1200 on this Chinese phone. OnePlus has officially jumped the shark. I think their OnePlus 8 Pro was their best flagship they made, and at the $799 price it was selling for last year, was a very good deal, for a very good phone. But $1200 for the 9 Pro, and now it's just an ok phone, uh nope.

HARD PASS. No offense, but you have to be a special kind of stupid to blow $1200 on this Chinese phone. OnePlus has officially jumped the shark. I think their OnePlus 8 Pro was their best flagship they made, and at the $799 price it was selling for last year, was a very good deal, for a very good phone. But $1200 for the 9 Pro, and now it's just an ok phone, uh nope.
Hmmmm... the 8T can be had for $599 with 12GB/256GB. That's looking mighty tempting!

I'm no Samsung fan, but if your going to spend $1,100+ on an Android phone today, it's gonna be the Galaxy Note 21, Never an LG crap, or even my fav Google Pixel, and certainly not OnePlus. Not sure what OnePlus is thinking here, going the $1,200 smartphone price, that's insane, and even more so by them.

I can't believe I am still using this iPhone 12 Pro Max, I actually like it and I'm pretty satisfied with it, 3 months in, and my 12 Pro Max was $999, which is cheaper than the 9 Pro, but at least this iPhone holds it's value and gets great support.

Battery life reviews say it's just ok, not bad, but not amazing.

A phone this super spec'd and OnePlus's mantra of "Never settle" this phone should at least have a 5,000mAh battery.

And then the camera, yeah it's better then previous OnePlus phones, but that's not saying much. It's still not as good as the current competition.

But now the price of the phone is up there, high with the big names, but it's just clearly not as good as the S21 Ultra or 12 Pro Max.

These phones were exactly what I expected; good phones still but still can't fully compete with Samsung, Apple, or even Google in some key areas like software support and camera performance. That would be fine if they still had the value angle they used to have, but at their current price points, they're barely competitive.

I'm no Samsung fan, but if your going to spend $1,100+ on an Android phone today, it's gonna be the Galaxy Note 21, Never an LG crap, or even my fav Google Pixel, and certainly not OnePlus. Not sure what OnePlus is thinking here, going the $1,200 smartphone price, that's insane, and even more so by them.

I can't believe I am still using this iPhone 12 Pro Max, I actually like it and I'm pretty satisfied with it, 3 months in, and my 12 Pro Max was $999, which is cheaper than the 9 Pro, but at least this iPhone holds it's value and gets great support.

There is no Note 21 this year.

Battery life reviews say it's just ok, not bad, but not amazing.

A phone this super spec'd and OnePlus's mantra of "Never settle" this phone should at least have a 5,000mAh battery.

And then the camera, yeah it's better then previous OnePlus phones, but that's not saying much. It's still not as good as the current competition.

But now the price of the phone is up there, high with the big names, but it's just clearly not as good as the S21 Ultra or 12 Pro Max.

The prices being insane these days, I decided to switch back to iPhone 12 Pro Max, and I will actually keep a phone more than a year and just keep using it as iPhones can go 6 years without an issue and updates. I am done paying these insane prices for little to no change.

My 7pro will be my last OP phone. I guess google is all that's left. Google hits most of things I want in an android Phone. My 7 Pro is perfectly fine and should be good for a while still but I am done. They have lost there way and is no longer the OP of old. Now getting the previous model for 450-500$ is still a great deal! Just not 700-1000$

The prices being insane these days, I decided to switch back to iPhone 12 Pro Max, and I will actually keep a phone more than a year and just keep using it as iPhones can go 6 years without an issue and updates. I am done paying these insane prices for little to no change.
I hope the 13 has Touch ID. There are reports that say it will and it won't. Sticking with my 3XL until we know.

I'm in a weird spot. I really like OP and still on a OP6t which.. TBH is still pretty great. Recently i've wondered what it would be like owning an iPhone for the first time being an Android user since the G1.

I'll keep my 5T, more than half the cost of the 9 Pro... insane. At least strip out the crap we dont want and sell us something at a livable price.

I'll keep my 5T, more than half the cost of the 9 Pro... insane. At least strip out the crap we dont want and sell us something at a livable price.
I had a 5T and it started boot looping. E-wasted it and got an 8. I wished the cameras were a bit better but I won't pay the extra for a Samsung. Not to mention I can't stand the Samsung UI skin.

I had a 5T and it started boot looping. E-wasted it and got an 8. I wished the cameras were a bit better but I won't pay the extra for a Samsung. Not to mention I can't stand the Samsung UI skin.
Compared to the 5T the 8's cameras are leagues ahead :)

Back