OnePlus 6

So who's ordering today? I think I'm going to wait a few weeks for a couple of reviews before I jump

Bought it... holding on to my OP5 just in case I'm unhappy, really only the glass back and fingerprint reader on the back bother me... glass will be covered / protected with a case and fingerprint on the back is kind of the new standard so I guess i just have to adjust...

So who's ordering today? I think I'm going to wait a few weeks for a couple of reviews before I jump

Early camera reviews sound like more of the same like the past. Good not great. I'll wait on this one and pick one up used from Swappa if at all.

Bought it... holding on to my OP5 just in case I'm unhappy, really only the glass back and fingerprint reader on the back bother me... glass will be covered / protected with a case and fingerprint on the back is kind of the new standard so I guess i just have to adjust...

I've never had anything but. It's not that hard to adjust.

Ultimately looks pretty good. If I didn't have a need for the best "just point and shoot" camera in a phone within a month, I'd probably have gotten the OP6.

Considering how large it is, fingerprint reader on the front would be a pain to use. Personally I think back is perfect. Only downside is when the phone is on the table, you have to pick it up first. My Honor 8 has fingerprint gestures that make it even more useful.

I'm hoping for on screen fingerprint scanners on the next round of phones.
On screen would be the best. Though, if it's on the back it can be a button too. On Honor 8 for example it's a button and a fingerprint reader. Long press takes screenhot, one press launches camera and swipe down brings the notification area down (swiping up does the opposite). Swiping left/right in the gallery lets you switch to next/previous image. With on screen reader all that functionality would be gone. At least the location would be better than front bottom.

a good solid phone should be about 200, like the honor 7x... a top of the line phone should be at most... 500+

this $1000 phone nonsense is... nonsense

ordered mine about 10 minutes after they went live (usa, ks) - scheduled to be delivered tomorrow, hard to pass up the 8gb 128 for sub $600 - not to mention the other complimentary specs / 15 day no questions return is nice too...

Got mine today, I'm pretty happy, a few kinda buddy things that annoy me that they fixed on the 5 that are "back" / shouldn't exist on this phone but I assume will be fixed soon. It came with a case in the box that I didn't know about so I'm irrationally annoyed that I bought one as well. It's super fast, the face unlock makes me giddy, gestures, 19:9 and the notch are everything I ever wanted :D Oh and side by side I get 40 extra mbps on my wireless next work! Color me impressed

Got mine today, I'm pretty happy, a few kinda buddy things that annoy me that they fixed on the 5 that are "back" / shouldn't exist on this phone but I assume will be fixed soon. It came with a case in the box that I didn't know about so I'm irrationally annoyed that I bought one as well. It's super fast, the face unlock makes me giddy, gestures, 19:9 and the notch are everything I ever wanted :D Oh and side by side I get 40 extra mbps on my wireless next work! Color me impressed

What are these annoying things? Mine is arriving on Tuesday.

I'm slightly concerned about the size of the fingerprint scanner and how well it reads

What are these annoying things? Mine is arriving on Tuesday.

1. The battery icon in the top right doesn't (won't) display a percentage... you either get a battery looking icon or a circle that moves according to how full it is... my OP5 has the percentage labeled inside of the circle icon.
2. You cannot adjust the navigation bar color or style so in most instances it looks awful. The only fix I have at his time is to disable it and use gestures. See these pics:

2cihdh0.jpg
wtc6k1.jpg

(that stupid nav bar is always white, even with the dark theme enabled and no settings to modify it)

3. There is a wonky thing with unlocking that phone that I don't like and maybe it's just a bad habit I developed that bothers me now that it functions differently. There are settings to change how this works but basically I'm used to tapping my screen or pressing power to get to the lock screen, I can check notifications etc without unlocking to the home screen (cool!) If I want to get to the home screen just tap the FP reader and you're in. However on the OP6 if you have face unlock and hit the power button or double tap and it sees your face, BOOM home-screen, you can disable this but then it requires you to press power, or double tap the screen, brings you to the lock screen you can view notifications BUT THEN you have to swipe up if you want to unlock and get to the home screen. I honestly don't know what would make this better, how to fix it or if there even is a reasonable way to "fix" it / do it differently but for now I basically have to angle the phone away from my face if I just want to check notifications. (I'm a whining complainer I KNOW!)

I'm slightly concerned about the size of the fingerprint scanner and how well it reads

It reads very well and very fast, when I scanned in my FP, I did it at the most comfortable and natural angle that I would day to day unlock it with. I think my finger is at a.... 45ish degree angle when I unlock. If FP unlock is your concern, have no fear, it works perfectly!

Sauce:
2jb5i03.jpg

1. The battery icon in the top right doesn't (won't) display a percentage... you either get a battery looking icon or a circle that moves according to how full it is... my OP5 has the percentage labeled inside of the circle icon.
2. You cannot adjust the navigation bar color or style so in most instances it looks awful. The only fix I have at his time is to disable it and use gestures. See these pics:

View attachment 76857 View attachment 76858
(that stupid nav bar is always white, even with the dark theme enabled and no settings to modify it)

3. There is a wonky thing with unlocking that phone that I don't like and maybe it's just a bad habit I developed that bothers me now that it functions differently. There are settings to change how this works but basically I'm used to tapping my screen or pressing power to get to the lock screen, I can check notifications etc without unlocking to the home screen (cool!) If I want to get to the home screen just tap the FP reader and you're in. However on the OP6 if you have face unlock and hit the power button or double tap and it sees your face, BOOM home-screen, you can disable this but then it requires you to press power, or double tap the screen, brings you to the lock screen you can view notifications BUT THEN you have to swipe up if you want to unlock and get to the home screen. I honestly don't know what would make this better, how to fix it or if there even is a reasonable way to "fix" it / do it differently but for now I basically have to angle the phone away from my face if I just want to check notifications. (I'm a whining complainer I KNOW!)

It reads very well and very fast, when I scanned in my FP, I did it at the most comfortable and natural angle that I would day to day unlock it with. I think my finger is at a.... 45ish degree angle when I unlock. If FP unlock is your concern, have no fear, it works perfectly!

Sauce:
View attachment 76859
in stock form due to the notch you can't have battery %. Also I would just switch to the gesture navigation. Gets rid of the dumb navigation bar and with the better to screen body ratio you will get that extra screen space back. It takes a few days to get used to but it's second nature after that. Plus for me I was hitting the home button to many times when using the stock keyboard.

You cannot adjust the navigation bar color or style so in most instances it looks awful. The only fix I have at his time is to disable it and use gestures.
See if you get your desired results with Nova Launcher. Nova Launcher right out of the box makes your navigation bar transparent.

Last edited:
Have you tried Nova Launcher? Nova Launcher right out of the box makes your navigation bar transparent. Because I like a black background I placed my Moto X Pure on my bed, camera side down, and took a picture then used the picture as my wall paper. Here is the result.

Sorry for the huge image, but when I chose thumbnail it came out all blurry.

View attachment 77102
he said stock

As predicted, the new OP6 is exciting lots of us who don't care about needing a great camera. But with all the issues with OP spyware and other security issues such as storing passwords in plain text, and OP's record on being plain stupid, does this reminder deter anyone now?

As predicted, the new OP6 is exciting lots of us who don't care about needing a great camera. But with all the issues with OP spyware and other security issues such as storing passwords in plain text, and OP's record on being plain stupid, does this reminder deter anyone now?
That's exactly what prevents me from buying another OP phone. I've never cared about having a state of the art camera on my phone.

Yup, that's exactly what turned me off from the OP5T and led me to the Pixel 2 XL actually.

Received mine today. Everything is mostly positive. Still, wish the screen could have been QHD. The build quality is better on the OP3, though. A decent upgrade, but could have had hold longer.

Turns out I am not liking my karbon protective case. I can sell or trade for the bumper one. Let me know :)

Last edited:
I never thought I'd own another OnePlus since the fucking fiasco that was the OP One :mad:. That purchase remains the only time I've ever had to file a charge back with my credit card company :bored:

But I gave the OP6 a shot because I was bored with the Pixel 2 XL and wanted something close to stock android. After a week with the 8GB matte black I can safely say I'm thoroughly impressed.

First off the phone is extremely well built in my opinion. It's not only much more comfortable to hold than my pixel 2 xl, but I love the finish. Can't speak on the glossy black OP6, but the matte black finish on the back feels very nice in the hand.

Being an android purist, and someone who detests skins, the OP6 software is fantastic. Its effectively stock Droid with some unobtrusive tweaks. The only thing I missed was the google now panel, but after installing nova launcher, it became non issue. The phones hardware also chews through any task with ease. I dunno how much the 8GB is actually helping, but performance super snappy, and the phone is noticeably more responsive than my PXL 2. I don't see any lag with adding widgets or using the nova skin at all.

Regarding the camera, I havnt really put it to the test. I'm no photo enthusiasts, but I do travel quite a bit so I hope it's at least adequate.

All in all, since I don't care about wireless charging or expandable storage, this phone is a home run. I understand where the shortcuts are to bring down the price, but to me the screen actually looks better overall than the higher resolution PXL 2, and I don't need bleeding edge camera optics.

The one mark against the phone I will mention is the speaker. It's a big step down from the front facing speakers of the pixel, and is pretty subpar overall. I do appreciate the headphone jack though :)

I have actually bought nova launcher when it was on sale but... I actually prefer stock EMUI launcher. Just works and is fast & simple.

Yes, there is a setting. In the "Look & Feel" settings in Nova the option for transparent notification bar also controls the navigation bar.

The setting didn't do anything for me, the nav bar remained. If anything it became stuck on white even on the home screen

midnight black 128GB. Got the carbon bumper case and the glass screen protector too. I want to get the wireless ear buds too but I don't think they will be in stock again until the end of the month. I really liked my OP3 and only quite using it because I dropped it so many times over the past 2 years that the camera finally took a crap. I got a used Axon 7 to replace it but it just doesn't feel as snappy as my 3 was

midnight black 128GB. Got the carbon bumper case and the glass screen protector too. I want to get the wireless ear buds too but I don't think they will be in stock again until the end of the month. I really liked my OP3 and only quite using it because I dropped it so many times over the past 2 years that the camera finally took a crap. I got a used Axon 7 to replace it but it just doesn't feel as snappy as my 3 was
Nice! One suggestion try using the gesture navigation. It take a few days to get used to it, but I really like them now and it has become second nature. Plus you get a cleaner look and a bit more screen back :)

Nice! One suggestion try using the gesture navigation. It take a few days to get used to it, but I really like them now and it has become second nature. Plus you get a cleaner look and a bit more screen back :)

I'll give it a shot for a couple of days for sure! Anyone else have any good tips? I haven't rooted a phone since the OP1 so prefer suggestions that don't require root or different roms

I got it yesterday and spent some time last night setting it up. Definitely a worthy upgrade from my 3

Just want to add that I dropped the phone on pavement yesterday from about 4ft. It was a bad fall, I was sure there was gonna be a crack on the screen or back.

Thankfully the phone withstood it like a champ and is working fine so far. Props to O+ for not skimping on build quality.

Last edited:
Just want to add that I dropped the phone on pavement yesterday from about 4ft. It was a bad fall, I was sure there was gonna be a crack on the screen or back.

Thankfully the phone withstood it like a champ and is working fine so far. Props to O6 for not skimping on build quality.
I think you were lucky more then anything. What case you using or is it naked?

Thankfully the phone withstood it like a champ and is working fine so far. Props to O6 for not skimping on build quality.

Mirror black?

Back