One Velociraptor or Raid 0?

Tullphan

Limp Gawd
Since I presently can't afford a SSD drive, I'm torn between one 300GB Velociraptor (16MB cache) or two 320GB WD RE's (16MB cache) in Raid 0.
Thoughts?
Thanks.

Do you value access speed, or throughput? If you want quick accesses, than the VR is the way to go - but it won't touch the sequential throughput of a RAID 0 setup. But the best plan is to save up for an SSD so you get the best of both worlds.

According to your sig you have a 1TB black. A 300GB VR is not cheap, there are SSDs available for less than that, and what you can't put on it, put on your fastest HDD.

Yeah I use my 1TB black for storage.
I'm looking at preowned 300GB VR's that can be had for <$100.

I wonder if you'll see much general improvement on the velociraptor vs your black drive. I guess it's never a bad idea to offload your pagefile or scratchpad/cache onto a different drive though.

The way HD prices are now, if you can get 2 300GB VRs for less than 200 bucks, I'd say go for that, and stripe those. Just as reliable as a pair of striped RE2s, and a pretty damn quick 600GB.

I can get a pair of 320GB RE2s for less than half the price of a pair of 300GB VRs.
Guess i'm also concerned about performance/$ too.

I wonder if you'll see much general improvement on the velociraptor vs your black drive. I guess it's never a bad idea to offload your pagefile or scratchpad/cache onto a different drive though.

It's noticeable that's for damn sure.

Get the VR, and save up for a SSD.

Yeah I use my 1TB black for storage.
I'm looking at preowned 300GB VR's that can be had for <$100.

You can also get a (new) 64GB SSD for less than 100 bucks. A VR is just a faster HDD, nowhere near an SSD.

I have a single velociraptor. runs fine
There's a whole crowd that "Po-Pos" this drives on the GB/$ comparision but I think they're still great drives.

Like SSDs, the access times for small files makes a great desktop experience more so than Burst/STR rates.

But really, if your OS and programs are under 40GB you are entering small/cheap SSD territory.

Are the Intel SSD drives still the way to go as far as reliability?
Intel and Crucial look like the most reliable at this time.

I had to RMA 3 Intel 80GB G2s but it still doesn't change my mind on reliability.

After 3 RMAs I'm sure many would have the "OH MY GOD I'LL NEVER BUY INTEL AGAIN" posts all over the internet but I don't want to wear the same clown suit. :)

I own Crucial 256GB C-300s now and have used the Intel 80GB G1s and G2s and all have been reliable.

Well, the reason that I asked, I was about to jump on the Corsair that NE had for $109 AR, but I see it's sold out.
Back to the drawing board. :)

Just save up for the SSD. Once you use a system with an SSD, you will never go back to a HD for your OS.

Back