One long beep=not memory issue?

NOTD665

Gawd
Well, after...playing with things (hardware, you sicko), I'm single-long beeps when I start up, so obviously, no boot.

RAM, right? Swapped it with another stick, that I'm 99% sure works. Same thing.

So, to summarize: black screen, one long beep, fans spin, etc.

Barton 2500+
MSI K7N2-ILSR Delta
1GB Kingston HyperX DDR400
WD 80GB HDD
9800XT
350W Antec PSU

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Check your Mobo's manual and it should give a description of waht all the beeps mean. If you don't have the manual, one thing that comes to mind is video card. Make sure it is seated properly in the AGP slot. Also make sure the wires on the CPU fan are plugged in the correct slot and that all of them are plugged in. Nowdays if a motherboard doesn't detect a CPU fan plugged in it may not start.

One long beep is generally a video problem, usually related to the card/connection itself. One long followed by two shorts can be the same thing but tends to mean the monitor is not plugged in.

double check to see if your memory is fully seated......its possible the stick is in/clips down, but not fully in all the way.

Bump

Still no luck. Swapped video, two different sticks of RAM, everything I can think of short of swapping the board or the proc. I'm still getting system memory errors. Single long beep, and using the diagnostic LED bracket provided with the board, it's teliing me that.

Any ideas?

have you tried turning it on without the proc in? on my mobo a single continuous tone means it's not detecting the proc, found that out the hardway when my water pumps stopped running :p

Alright, it's definetly not the RAM.

But like I said, both from beep codes and the diagnostic LED bracket, it's telling me it's a memory error.

Board? Any other ideas?

Originally posted by tdg
One long beep is generally a video problem, usually related to the card/connection itself. One long followed by two shorts can be the same thing but tends to mean the monitor is not plugged in.

agreed. One beep = video problem.

You swapped cards but are they the same voltage?

New board old cards....................not good then long beeps and even mobo damage

Older vga were what 3 volt and new ones are 1.5

I am not familiar with the mobo is it old, does it support 1.5 volt?

The reverse could be true in your case. Perhaps your motherboard does not support 1.5 volt cards

The board is new, nForce2 mobo, supports 8x agp and the works. The videocard I swapped it with isn't too old...Radeon 64MB DDR VIVO.

Disable video bios shadowing, and set agp aperature to 64 for now. Disable spread spectrum , go to memory timeings and set to manual then set your timings according to memory spec.

then reboot and cross your fingers?

Oh shit i forgot your getting black screen. Do you have onboard video ? If so you will have to disable it via jmper or boot without the agp card and go to cmos then disable on baord video shut down , install agp card and boot up.

No onboard video.

And like you said before, I can't boot, so no adjusting BIOS. :p

I didn't see where you said that you did clear CMOS. Make sure you do that. Unplug the power, take the battery out, and then use the CMOS clear jumper.

If that doesn't work, run only with the mobo, CPU, heatsink/fan, RAM and vid card.

If that doesn't work, then pull everything out of the case and try again. There maybe something shorting out somewhere.

I just pulled everything out. Cleared CMOS multiple times, running with everything set to default, just proc, ram, and video.

Still memory errors.

Do you have any USB devices plugged into the back?

Any bent Monitor pins?

Did you knuckles bump the cpu heat sink?

Think of weird shit you could have done when playing around

You will find the unobvious by ruling out the obvious

Back