On Thermaltake P90, what happens if regular cards blocked by vertical riser block?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
http://ttpremium.com/wp-content/upl...0M1WN-00_72eff1c4cdfa4f02a0c89722c3bb0000.jpg

CA-1J8-00M1WN-00_72eff1c4cdfa4f02a0c89722c3bb0000.jpg

Say I have a sound card, or some other PCI E card, and the full height of those cards are blocked by trhe video card, what then?

would you then installed more riser cable to bring those other PCI E card vertical as well?

and I notice this guy makes a round glass for the upcoming CED 2018, is that piece of glass expensive?

https://www.pcmodders.com.au/single-post/2017/12/03/Thermaltake-2018-CES-Build

yes you'll need more risers or skip those devices.
you'd order that top glass from a glass shop. then stick on some rubbers for it to sit on.

http://ttpremium.com/wp-content/upl...0M1WN-00_72eff1c4cdfa4f02a0c89722c3bb0000.jpg

CA-1J8-00M1WN-00_72eff1c4cdfa4f02a0c89722c3bb0000.jpg

Say I have a sound card, or some other PCI E card, and the full height of those cards are blocked by trhe video card, what then?

would you then installed more riser cable to bring those other PCI E card vertical as well?

and I notice this guy makes a round glass for the upcoming CED 2018, is that piece of glass expensive?

https://www.pcmodders.com.au/single-post/2017/12/03/Thermaltake-2018-CES-Build

You need risers for all of your expansion cards. I have a Core P5, which is a similar case. You basically just don't use expansion cards, except for the graphics card.

Edit: If your sound card is an X1 device, one of the risers that are used for GPU mining might work in that case. The X16 cable to the graphics card is a HUUUUUUGE ribbon cable, and it's a pain to route additional risers around it, but the X1 risers used for mining would probably work, so you could put the graphics card out front, and the sound card behind it.

Last edited:
do you have any problem with compatibility w/ the riser ribbon cable?

No. If you look at my post history here, you'll find a few posts where I complained about the early design Thermaltake one, but I'm 99% sure I was just wrong about that. Basically, the system would report PCI-E 1.0 link speed, but it turned out it changes that based on load, I guess to save power, and I didn't notice because I'm a n00b. In fact, I've owned two of the Thermaltake brand ribbon cables and one more cheap one from Amazon that looks just like them, but the screw holes are a little different.

All three worked perfectly as designed, and the performance difference between using them or plugging the graphics card directly into the motherboard is smaller than the variance of any test I can run.

The Amazon one stopped working when I spilled coolant into the female end, though. On the the plus side, it was a $30 cable, and not the $250 X99 motherboard I had installed in the system. My conclusion is that while the really pricy 3M ones look cool, you don't have to spend that much under any circumstances I can produce in my house.

this is news to me. Since when is 3M in the PC industry?

Anyhoo, on the first post at that 2nd link, what does a big curve glass costs in North America? that guy is in Australia

Last edited:
I think they've always been in the business of making board level components. I'm not sure when they started offering PCI-E risers, but they're supposedly the best on the market.

For gaming PC purposes, though, the thermaltake ones that you can get now work fine, and I think silverstone and NZXT or Phanteks also offer some that work pretty well too, for use in Mini-itx cases.

That video is made under the assumption that you're:
A. Using a typical stock air cooler on a graphics card, like the EVGA one shown
B. Using a case where the single vertical mounting location is right up against the side panel.

If either of those conditions is not met, chances are, the reasons they give for not doing this don't apply. In the P90, much like my Core P5, you're really meant to be using water cooling, which makes the whole discussion moot. Even if you're using the original cooler, however, the Core series has a different vertical mounting arrangement that most cases, where there are three or more spots to put the card in, as opposed to just one. The outermost one suffers from the problem they mention, where the gap between the card and the panel is too narrow, but the other two do not. So, if you're using an air cooler, just mount the card in the middle spot, instead of the outermost one, and you're fine.

Back