On-board graphics...

jbmx4life

2[H]4U
I am looking to piece together a new system for my daughter and I was wondering how the newer integrated graphics chipsets would do with some gaming. Now I am not talking hardcore gaming like Crysis but she is 9y/o and plays some games on the net and others that she has on CD. Would the newer IGP's play these games? Right now I believe she has an ATI Radeon 9600XT that she has been playing everything on and I would assume that the newer IGP's prolly blow that out of the water.

LMK. Thanks.

Are these net games flash based or do you have download and install a client? In fact, what net games and games on CD is she playing?

If it's just a bunch of flash and 2D games, the onboard graphics is good enough for those games.

EDIT: Oh and if you are going through the onboard video route, go for a mobo based on the 780G chipset which comes with ATI Radeon HD 3200 which is good enough for Half Life 2 @ 800x600 at the lowest settings.

Integrated graphics chipsets are pretty poor.
What games will be played?

780G and 790GX from AMD are the bomb, of course, they're Phenom and Athlon only. 790FX optioned (by AMD default specs its supposed to have this chip but motherboard manufacturers can opt-out) to have its own 64MB GDDR3 chip right on the motherboard. Stay as far away as possible from intel "G" chipsets. Intels "extreme" integrated graphics are possibly the worst thing to happen in gaming hardware (and I'm not exaggerating, its a major contributor to the alleged death of the gaming industry). If you want something in the LGA775 flavour go with Nvidia's 7150.

7150, 780G and 790GX will all handle the source engine pretty well. Anything past that is a little up in the air. With 790GX however you have full room expand as it will have three or four pci-e 16X slots and it supports hybrid crossfire with its integrated meaning you can buy a $50 graphics card and crossfireX it with your integrated graphics.

The integrated graphics on the AMD 780G mobos are about 50% faster than a 9600XT. With overclocking, you can bring that 780G IGP up to around 2x as fast as a 9600XT. Whether that's enough for your daughter, I have no idea.

Are these net games flash based or do you have download and install a client? In fact, what net games and games on CD is she playing?

If it's just a bunch of flash and 2D games, the onboard graphics is good enough for those games.

EDIT: Oh and if you are going through the onboard video route, go for a mobo based on the 780G chipset which comes with ATI Radeon HD 3200 which is good enough for Half Life 2 @ 800x600 at the lowest settings.

Yeah, if it's just going to be flash games, I would assume they would be more CPU intensive than anything else.

The integrated graphics on the AMD 780G mobos are about 50% faster than a 9600XT. With overclocking, you can bring that 780G IGP up to around 2x as fast as a 9600XT. Whether that's enough for your daughter, I have no idea.

Would you really want to oc an IGP??

Back