I just want to confirm the following - if I am sending audio to an external DAC (say, a receiver or DAC/AMP combo) of high quality, then there is no advantage to investing in a better sound card than whatever standard "soundmax" onboard audio comes on a typical motherboard these days.
True/false?
I currently send audio (digital) to a Benchmark DAC1 when using headphones, and to an Onkyo TX-NR3007 receiver for speakers. It's a cabling mess, and the receiver does drive other things than computer sound so speaker and receiver location isn't always perfect, but I've been quite satisfied with this setup. Is it true that upgrading to one of those pricey boutique sound cards would not change the performance of this setup one bit?
True/false?
I currently send audio (digital) to a Benchmark DAC1 when using headphones, and to an Onkyo TX-NR3007 receiver for speakers. It's a cabling mess, and the receiver does drive other things than computer sound so speaker and receiver location isn't always perfect, but I've been quite satisfied with this setup. Is it true that upgrading to one of those pricey boutique sound cards would not change the performance of this setup one bit?