OmniOS installation on M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 SSD

Discussion in 'SSDs & Data Storage' started by N Bates, Aug 8, 2019.

1. N Bates

N Bates Limp Gawd

Do I need to do anything to the Corsair MP510 480GB NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 M.2 SSD before installing OmniOS on it, I am getting do drive has been selected when choosing the NVMe to install OmniOS r151030.

2. _Gea

_Gea 2[H]4U

It should simply work as long as the mainboard supports NVMe booting. (selectable as bootdevice in bios)

If the NVMe is new or has a special partition cheme and is not detected properly
    you can try to format it to something basic like ext4 or fat32.

3. N Bates

N Bates Limp Gawd

The mainborad definitely support NVMe booting, I can see it in the bios, I haven't got another board with NVMe connection apart from this Asrok rack board, not sure how to format with no os on the borad, unless I just swap it for the old sata SSD that I had, but it's a shame that I bought it especially to use with the server.

Will I find a difference in booting OmniOS betwwen the NVMe or the Sata SSD?

4. _Gea

_Gea 2[H]4U

Either it works and then there is no difference to Sata booting or not.
    Try it.

5. N Bates

N Bates Limp Gawd

Stupid me, they botyh work, what I was not doing is selecting a drive first by hitting the space bar, I was just hitting enter on the drive, thge space bar selcted the drive by adding (*) next to it.

Now it works...great, thanks again _Gea.

6. N Bates

N Bates Limp Gawd

All working now with napp-it the pool has importing fine and working, my question is do I need to update the LSI9305 24i the Asrock EPYCD8 bios and BMC to latest software?

I would like to but don't want to mess up anything, which one do I strat first and will OmniOS and Napp-it work ok after the updates or do I need to do anything else afterwards?

7. _Gea

_Gea 2[H]4U

One philosophy is to use always the newest bios and firmware.
    I would update only to fix a known bug or if a wanted feature is available then or if you have problems and there is a chance that an update can help.

8. N Bates

N Bates Limp Gawd

Great thanks, I will check to see whether any new features or bug fixes for the already installed ones, if not I will well alone, otherwise I will go ffor it.
    Thank you _Gea.