OmniOS installation on M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 SSD

N Bates

Limp Gawd
Do I need to do anything to the Corsair MP510 480GB NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 M.2 SSD before installing OmniOS on it, I am getting do drive has been selected when choosing the NVMe to install OmniOS r151030.

It should simply work as long as the mainboard supports NVMe booting. (selectable as bootdevice in bios)

If the NVMe is new or has a special partition cheme and is not detected properly
you can try to format it to something basic like ext4 or fat32.

The mainborad definitely support NVMe booting, I can see it in the bios, I haven't got another board with NVMe connection apart from this Asrok rack board, not sure how to format with no os on the borad, unless I just swap it for the old sata SSD that I had, but it's a shame that I bought it especially to use with the server.

Will I find a difference in booting OmniOS betwwen the NVMe or the Sata SSD?

Either it works and then there is no difference to Sata booting or not.
Try it.

Stupid me, they botyh work, what I was not doing is selecting a drive first by hitting the space bar, I was just hitting enter on the drive, thge space bar selcted the drive by adding (*) next to it.

Now it works...great, thanks again _Gea.

All working now with napp-it the pool has importing fine and working, my question is do I need to update the LSI9305 24i the Asrock EPYCD8 bios and BMC to latest software?

I would like to but don't want to mess up anything, which one do I strat first and will OmniOS and Napp-it work ok after the updates or do I need to do anything else afterwards?

One philosophy is to use always the newest bios and firmware.
I would update only to fix a known bug or if a wanted feature is available then or if you have problems and there is a chance that an update can help.

Great thanks, I will check to see whether any new features or bug fixes for the already installed ones, if not I will well alone, otherwise I will go ffor it.
Thank you _Gea.

Back