OMG! GOING INSANE! Where can I find mouse pad material?!

JoeUser

2[H]4U
What I thought would be a quite easy find is turning out not to be.

What I am looking for (with choices in size, pad thickness, cloth color, etc preferably) is MOUSE PAD material/whatever...ya know, the rubber bottom cloth topped stuff.

I want to cover the top of my desk with it but can't seem to find it ANYWHERE. Only places that sell what I want are Alibaba and the likes which require me to order enough to cover a damn football field.

If anyone knows of anywhere or anyone that sells this (really looking for only like 3x6ft sheet) please POST!

THANKS! :D

I've looked locally, online, everywhere...actually calling screen printers and promotional material companies now here in GA...which is even MORE frustrating because I SWEAR TO GOD 99% of these DAMN companies don't seem to know how to ANSWER A DAMN PHONE...

Whew...calm down Joe...:D

The material is a fabric covered Neoprene and should be available at local fabric shops...
onlinefabricstore.net sells a 51 by 83 inch Sheet for about $69... It's in Red, Blue, Black and can be 2mm or 3mm Thick... For better choices I would suggest using a fabric shop...

Yeah I saw that...just seems f-in pricey! Might just be me, but I fail to see how a 50x40 inch sheet of this stuff costs anywhere near $60 PLUS shipping...

I mean, if it didn't look so ghetto I'd go buy a bunch of mouse pads for $1 or lower a piece or look in a random dumpster...stuff CAN'T be THAT expensive!

Maybe I'm just a cheap bastard? :rolleyes:

Well, looks like I'm just a cheap bastard. Found a couple other places that sell what I want and they're all around the same price.

Hmmm...well, alrighty then. Thanks Panda!

If anyone else has any ideas let me know!

A laser mouse will run on pretty much every surface, maybe you are too restrictive in your search.
You might find what you want in an auto shop, like these sprays or liquid cans they use to rubberize the metallic bottom of a pick-up truck bed. That looks just as rugged as a Ratpadz pad.
There are probably other products that ship liquid in cans and solidify on contact with air.
Try also a fabric shop, get a few samples to try out. Next thing you know you'll glue natural silk to your desktop..
A sheet of glass with something underneath for the laser to reflect on?

Hell, you could make your own pad material by boiling some old tires if it didn't leave dark marks on your arms and shirt. If you are using fabric, that tire rubber (or wax like for an oilcloth) could be spread on the bottom of the fabric, then you would just need to lay the fabric on your desktop, it will never slip. 2-liter soda bottles or other recycled plastics could make a great cover too, without leaving marks.
Depending on what you use, you may need something to protect your desktop though, maybe a plain sheet of paper with wallpaper glue so you can easily restore your desk to stock, and maybe some kind of varnish layer too if the product needs protection or to make the mouse glide more easily.

Do it the [H]ard way and tell us how it went! ^-^

Back