Older PC Games

jbltecnicspro

[H]F Junkie
Just installed the first Roller Coaster Tycoon. Gonna get the Loopy Landscapes + Corkscrew Follies add-ons tonight (at my parents' house). Man, I forgot how fun this game is! I do love me some older games. Easy to run, and hours of fun.

For the FYI - I was 10 when we first got it in 1999, and I played it on our Pentium 2 400 Mhz. I was so proud of how fast that computer was - it was able to play the game without slow down, even if there was a ton of people on screen. :D

I played the crap out of Rollercoaster Tycoon 3, a few years ago, it was on steam for like $10.

I love older games. I really miss the sweet airplane games where you'd upgrade your ships...

Tyrian and Raptor: Call of the Shadows... so many hours spent in those games.

One Must Fall 2097 was also amazing... and unlike a lot of future stuff, actually has a date that's still a ways off. One day, we may see giant robots fighting!!!

A really fun classic PC game is Gazillionaire. It was the first PC game I remember buying with my own money. I think it came out in mid 90's? Best of all it is available for free now at http://www.gazillionaire.com/

It's a "stock" type game where you trade commodities and stuff.. IN SPACE!

Oh and then Theme Park - I freaking loved Theme Park!

Ahh. RCT ... I enjoyed building long roller coasters that eventually ended and the cart would go flying off.

I still feel good when I play Alley Cat every so often. I was at a LAN once and someone yelled out from the other side of the (admittedly quite tiny, but 30 people were in here) room, ALLEY CAT! :D

I've had the urge to play Terminal Velocity/Fury again. Need to find the discs!

Roller Coaster Tycoon is a lot of fun. I recently dusted off Axis & Allies (original 1998 Hasbro interactive release). There is a community that has some fixes for it so it works with my computer now and has some fun tweaks I can apply to the original game.

I broke out the old Sim City not long ago. Ha, what fun :) And Wolfinstein. I remember playing that in the basement with all the lights out and about pissing my pant. Robohitler!

I am hoping/dreading the day Civ II makes it to Good Old Games and will run on a 64bit system once again. that game stole soo many hours of my life with its stupid addicting one more round

Can't say I play many old games anymore, but some of my fondest computer gaming memories come from those days. We bought a CD ROM for our 386 back when they were brand new - it came with a (maybe first generation) Sound Blaster and a Lucas Arts game pack. I went from playing cheesy pre-installed games with only PC speaker sounds to Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe, The Secret of Monkey Island, Loom (and others) with full, proper sound effects. It was magnificent.

Atomic bomberman was my very first PC game. It was epic. It had local 4 player action and hilarious sound bytes for when you die or win a round. Used to play it online too. The greatest part of all is the game had almost instant load times if you choose to to the complete install.

Can't remember if Blake stone or wolf 3d was my first pc... We couldn't afford a pc until I was 13 in 1993.. But my cousins had a commodore 64 and I used to play space taxi on it.

Theme Hospital and Another World were some of my favorite games back in the day. Heart Of Darkness was pretty cool; Wages of War was awesome.

I'd love to play them again, but I feel like I wouldn't enjoy them as much as I did back in the day. Maybe with an exception of TH... that game is just amazing on all accounts.

I got into vintage PC gaming two months ago....

I have these systems:
-386DX-40
-486DX-33/66/100Mhz CPU's
-Pentium 90Mhz
-Pentium 233MHz
-Pentium II 500MHz

The games I've played:
-Ultima Underworld I and II
-Ultima 6,7 (pt 1 and pt2)
-Master of Orion
-Civilization 1
-Star Control II (SOOOO kick asss)
-Kings Quests (2-5)
-X-Wing/Tie Fighter
etc etc etc.

Awesome times...

I never got to play too many of the fancy PC titles back in the day. My memories consist of Rodent's Revenge, Chip's Challenge, and SkyRoads. I actually loved Sim Theme Park as well, but only really played that at a friend's place.

Wing / Strike Commanders (and the strike commander add-on, that made you fight IRS was hilarious).
Freespace / Freespace 2
Emperor Battle for Dune

I miss those games

The first RTS game I played when I got my Pentium 3 pc was Real War. I don't think it was ever a popular title, but I really enjoyed it, partly due to its use of real life aircraft like B-1 bomber, F-117 and its limited units system. It has its own charm when compared to unlimited units style.

And SWAT 3, probably still one of the best tactical shooter I've ever played.

I was still gaming on my Playstation console back then, so didn't had many PC games during that era, lol.

Very first computer game I ever played was Flight Simulator on an Apple II+- loaded using a cassette tape, graphics were a 10 by 10 mile grid of lines, with a jagged line representing a mountain range...

I cut my teeth PC gaming on a Leading Edge PC running a Hercules graphics card. 4 color graphics, playing Sublogic's 1985 game Jet. Then the original Wizardry got me into RPGs. Castle Wolfenstein and Doom followed. It's simply incredible how the hardware and software have advanced.

X-wing triple pack on floppy disk was the first game I bought, didn't even have a PC until a year and a half later. Kind of looking to play Homeworld and Homeworld 2, probably watching Robotech's fault (on a classic Anime, and old games trip).

Myth: The Fallen Lords
Myth II: Soulblighter

Great single player and multiplayer. So many fond memories of king of the hill, and body parts flying.

Ahh, you young kids

I'm still waiting for a worthy port of M.U.L.E.

look it up, still one of my favorite multiplayer experiences of all time

In 1995 i was 8 years old my dad gave me my first computer that had MMX so i could play my favorite games. Basically lived on descent, warcraft and C&C. After i saved up all my pennies i went and bought myself a modem (with the old mans help) and me and my older cousins play modem to modem games.

I was a pretty weird 8 year old.

Myth: The Fallen Lords
Myth II: Soulblighter

Great single player and multiplayer. So many fond memories of king of the hill, and body parts flying.

omg yes! I couldn't play it online cuse i had a terrible dail up but i enjoy the single player. It was so much better then command and conquer. You felt connected to each of your units by the end of the game! I didn't want to let one die!

I wish they would remake it. but it probly wouldn't be the same lol

Man that reminds me of a game my friend and I used to play back in the mid to late 90s on the PC. I can not for the life of me remember the name. It might have been Gangster, Mobster or something along those lines.

The view was similar to current GTA games, overhead but not 100% overhead. Just slightly angled. You were basically in a Mob or Gang of some sort and you competed for control of the city/town against rival Mobs/Gangs. I remember being able to walk around the city and steal cars just like in GTA, but the graphics were much better. When your character went behind a building or something that obstructed it's view, you would get a cutout view of whatever was in the way. I thought that was the coolest thing ever in a game.

Can't say I play many old games anymore, but some of my fondest computer gaming memories come from those days. We bought a CD ROM for our 386 back when they were brand new - it came with a (maybe first generation) Sound Blaster and a Lucas Arts game pack. I went from playing cheesy pre-installed games with only PC speaker sounds to Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe, The Secret of Monkey Island, Loom (and others) with full, proper sound effects. It was magnificent.

oh man i had that same exact pack.

Strolls down memory lane, I just went through a bunch of old games recently which I have started to re-install some which I'm loving:

MVP Baseball 2005, NHL 2004, NHL Championship 2000, Madden 2003, Freespace 2, Doom 3, MOH Allied Assault, Call of Duty, Star Trek Voyager Elite Force with Exp pack, Aliens vs Predator 2 with expansion Primal Hunt, Deus Ex, Wing Commander Prophecy, Star Was Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, Jedi Knight Dark Forces II with Exp Pack Mysteries of Sith, Xwing vs Tie fighter with Exp Pack Balance of Power, Xwing Alliance, Shadows of the Empire, Die by the Sword, Unreal, Rainbow SIx Rogue Spear with Exp Pack Urban Ops, Ghost Recon, Red Faction, The Thing, Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto Vice City, Vampire: The Masquerade Redemption, Far Cry, Far Cry 2, Battlefield 1942, Battlefield Vietnam, Rollercoaster Tycoon thru 3 with all Exp Packs, Sim Theme Park, Sim City, Theme Hospital, Zoo Tycoon with Exp Pack Marine Park, Longbow 2, ATF Gold, Jetfighter III with Exp Pack just to name a few. ;)

I just spent my entire MLK day off doing the exact opposite of what he stood for in Civ V and it made me wish I had Civ 2 again.

Nuking India over and over again was so freaking fun.

Ahh, you young kids

Between this and Mail Order Monsters (why that hasn't been recreated, I'll never know), my brother and I were very well entertained in the mid 80s. :D

FYI - www.planetmule.com to whet your whistle until a proper release comes out.

I got into vintage PC gaming two months ago....

I have these systems:
-386DX-40
-486DX-33/66/100Mhz CPU's
-Pentium 90Mhz
-Pentium 233MHz
-Pentium II 500MHz

The games I've played:
-Ultima Underworld I and II
-Ultima 6,7 (pt 1 and pt2)
-Master of Orion
-Civilization 1
-Star Control II (SOOOO kick asss)
-Kings Quests (2-5)
-X-Wing/Tie Fighter
etc etc etc.

Awesome times...

Nice list! Especially Star Control II and the Ultimas. Some people complain, but if you haven't, I'd highly recommend U8: Pagan. It's ridiculously atmospheric, nice dark setting, and while not exactly like the others in the series, is amazingly cool. You know you can do all of that with DOSBox right. ;) Still pretty cool to play with archaic tech though I have to admit!

Ahh, you young kids

M.U.L.E. is the best. I still play the C64 version frequently with friends. However, Planet M.U.L.E does it well, though MP only. It looks like there's an iOS and Android more or less direct port coming though from the same people. :cool:

I just played through Eye of the Beholder 1 and 2 a couple of months ago. Probably the 20th time I've played through them, I really miss those games. I need to dig out some of the old Ultima games, those were a blast.

For me, the Ultima series still gets some playtime. I have U5 running on a Dell Axim PDA and I still fire up U7 from time to time. Also, Hexen 1&2 are some of my old school favorites.

Back