Old UPS batteries (APC SUA 1500)... where do you source them?

I think I might take this Cyberpower back. Its definitely gassing off. Kind of smell faint traces of it whenever I come back home from work to sit down at the computer. It's not a horrendous amount since if it was the rash on the back of my hand would start acting up (any exposure to stuff like super glue or bleach is enough to make it flare up instantly), but still, my APC unit certainly never did that. Alternatively I could try moving it or something, but dunno kind of undecided.
If it's under warranty or a return period take it back. If it isn't, rebuild the battery pack with new 12v cells from Ebay or Amazon. I've been doing that for over a decade, no issues.

These are the last ones I bought from Amz, $42 for 2 12v 9ah which matched what was in my cyberpower ups. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WRXR223

Says I ordered them in 2020, haven't had any issues. But honestly these things almost never last more than 5 years depending on how many blackouts you had.

LOL, the cyberpower branded one is $86. No thanks

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
FWIW new UPS batteries are easily available from refurbups.com. I've gotten replacement batteries as well as refurbished UPSes from them and never had a problem. They even have a recycling program if you don't have one locally, just pay shipping. With pirateship being so cheap there's little reason not to.

Cyberpower? Yuck. Make sure whatever UPS you buy that it has dual conversion.

1709432731905.png

This one is still going strong on the original batteries.
They are twice the size, but protect your equipment. They do have always on fans, so be aware.

Be careful if you go with one of the even bigger units, those use a different power plug. The 15A one, both the wall outlet and the wiring needs to support 15A. And the next larger ones use a round shaped metal plug that is a 30A connector. Same as used on electric clothes dryers.

Cyberpower? Yuck. Make sure whatever UPS you buy that it has dual conversion.

View attachment 639140
This one is still going strong on the original batteries.
They are twice the size, but protect your equipment. They do have always on fans, so be aware.

Be careful if you go with one of the even bigger units, those use a different power plug. The 15A one, both the wall outlet and the wiring needs to support 15A. And the next larger ones use a round shaped metal plug that is a 30A connector. Same as used on electric clothes dryers.
I love the 30 amp ones and that my house's upstairs breaker box was only 1/4 populated when we bought the house. Now it has 2 30a circuits for computers and 3 60a breakers for bev chargers or welding plug and the downstairs 30a is unused because I love our 9 cubic feet gas dryer. It could do something else in the future.

I think I might take this Cyberpower back. Its definitely gassing off. Kind of smell faint traces of it whenever I come back home from work to sit down at the computer. It's not a horrendous amount since if it was the rash on the back of my hand would start acting up (any exposure to stuff like super glue or bleach is enough to make it flare up instantly), but still, my APC unit certainly never did that. Alternatively I could try moving it or something, but dunno kind of undecided.
I have some of those...maybe not the exact same one, but at least similar and no funny smells.

And since we are talking batteries, has anyone used different chemistries besides SLA? I looked into it and just end up down the rabbit hole of a slight difference in voltages.

And since we are talking batteries, has anyone used different chemistries besides SLA? I looked into it and just end up down the rabbit hole of a slight difference in voltages.
UPSes designed with SLA batteries in mind are constantly charging (float charging) the battery because that's how you keep SLA batteries healthy and ready to power the load for the longest period of time (talking lifespan of the battery here, not uptime while on battery). Other battery chemistries don't like that type of constant charging, so you'd need to swap out the charging circuit for something compatible with the batteries you want to use.

I get my UPS batteries from https://www.champion-battery-sales.com/ Just ordered an RBC7 yesterday and it's arriving tomorrow. The prices of batteries suck, but whatever. Their batteries work well and are reliable.

Back