• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

old receiver, spring clips broke

Imitation

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 18, 2004
Messages
2,536
So i've got about a 20 year old onkyo tx-800, and a plastic clip on both channel A and now B have broken off. Now the spring isn't tight and won't hold the wire. I'm not sure if I can repair these or possibly use a banana plug or something?

If i can avoid replacing the entire receiver then that'd be great. Is it even possible to use banana plugs with spring clips? I've never tried. Would the plug not make a connection with the spring in tact?
 
looks like i'm pretty much done with it. I opened it and the clips are 1 big block and i'd have to desolder them from the bottom of the board to get it apart. Not worth the hassle even if i could get my hands on another block of clips that fit. It also showed me that banana plugs wouldn't work either.
 
Banana plugs only work in 4/5-way binding posts. Those spring clips are awful. I'm so glad that only the cheap garbage uses them today and the decent stuff uses binding posts.

Not that big a deal though. That receiver is literally worth $0 even if the spring clips all worked. You might have found someone to give you $10-20 for it at best. And you can find something comparable for $0-20 if you want to. I've been offered MANY older but working stereo receivers for free over the years.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top