old receiver, spring clips broke

Imitation

2[H]4U
So i've got about a 20 year old onkyo tx-800, and a plastic clip on both channel A and now B have broken off. Now the spring isn't tight and won't hold the wire. I'm not sure if I can repair these or possibly use a banana plug or something?

If i can avoid replacing the entire receiver then that'd be great. Is it even possible to use banana plugs with spring clips? I've never tried. Would the plug not make a connection with the spring in tact?

looks like i'm pretty much done with it. I opened it and the clips are 1 big block and i'd have to desolder them from the bottom of the board to get it apart. Not worth the hassle even if i could get my hands on another block of clips that fit. It also showed me that banana plugs wouldn't work either.

Banana plugs only work in 4/5-way binding posts. Those spring clips are awful. I'm so glad that only the cheap garbage uses them today and the decent stuff uses binding posts.

Not that big a deal though. That receiver is literally worth $0 even if the spring clips all worked. You might have found someone to give you $10-20 for it at best. And you can find something comparable for $0-20 if you want to. I've been offered MANY older but working stereo receivers for free over the years.

Last edited:
Back