Old Guy Needs your advice

Scratch99

n00b
Here's the deal:
I've had a great run with a Gigabyte computer that I put together in (or about) 2002 with your help.
I enjoy building machines but my brain is a little light with software.
Problem is that Windows destroyed my favorite gaming with their malware.
I'm rural so I can't use Steam.
So I feel that I have two choices in front of me.
Use my present machine with Win 7 as long as possible and:
1. Build an inexpensive gaming machine using purchased and spare parts.
Install my trusty Win XP and my fav games and never use it to go on the net.
2. Install Linux Ubunto (which I presently know nothing about) on this or another build.
I feel best about option #1 as it gives me some room to explore and alternative O.S.
Also retired with limited funds.
Your advice will be very much appreciated by this old gamer.
Scratch...

Last edited:
You're hard to follow. So are you looking for a machine to play some vintage XP era games?

You're hard to follow. So are you looking for a machine to play some vintage XP era games?
[/QUOTE

Sorry.
Edited so it makes more sense.
Yes, exactly as you say.
Would like to use some of the parts I have on hand, case, power supply, drives.
Recommendations for a reliable mother board and proccesor would be very helpful.

Here's the deal:
I've had a great run with a Gigabyte computer that I put together in (or about) 2002 with your help.
2. Install Linux Ubunto (which I presently know nothing about) on this or another build.
I feel best about option #1 as it gives me some room to explore and alternative O.S.
Scratch...

I would use the Win 7 set up as the gaming machine that is NEVER connected to the internet. Install Ubuntu or a distro based on Unbuntu on the machine you would have rebuilt for Win XP and use that as your internet connected daily driver.

In my case I bought a cheap (around $300) refurbished i3 desktop from Dell's Outlet store which is now updated to Win 10 Pro. I then installed a Ubuntu based distro on my old Win 7 Pro daily driver and have it in my living room connected to my t.v. and my modem in another room with a 100' Cat 6e ethernet cable.

It might be helpful if folks knew how you connect to the internet: dial-up, DSL, Satellite?

Hope this helps.

So, you think Windows 10 will help the Aliens stuff a probe up your ass? Is that the only reason why you're not going with a bog-standard modern gaming system?

Here's the deal:
Scratch...
A lot of PC gamers do what you are suggesting and build retro gaming builds. It sounds like your Internet may be slow but if you have a chance, check out PhilsComputerLab YouTube channel. He does a lot of retro builds and may give you some ideas. Here's an example XP build.

But yeah, if you build an XP station, I recommend not doing a lot of web browsing with it. It's probably safe to have connected to the web but don't use it as your "daily driver".

As for your 7 machine, you can still use updated browsers to safely browse the web, but 7 is becoming increasingly less secure as time goes on. If you do not want to move to Windows 10, you can definitely look at an OS ike Ubuntu which has a built in browser and office tools and such, plus it's secure and doesn't have a lot of the stuff people don't like about 10. However, the UI is a bit different, but if you are willing to learn you can use many version of Linux with just the UI.

I would use the Win 7 set up as the gaming machine that is NEVER connected to the internet. Install Ubuntu or a distro based on Unbuntu on the machine you would have rebuilt for Win XP and use that as your internet connected daily driver.

In my case I bought a cheap (around $300) refurbished i3 desktop from Dell's Outlet store which is now updated to Win 10 Pro. I then installed a Ubuntu based distro on my old Win 7 Pro daily driver and have it in my living room connected to my t.v. and my modem in another room with a 100' Cat 6e ethernet cable.

It might be helpful if folks knew how you connect to the internet: dial-up, DSL, Satellite?

Hope this helps.

Thank you sir:
I connect via satellite.
Not very much bandwidth for a lot of money.
I'm presently running Win 7 on top of Vista OEM.
I may at some time cave and get Win 10 but I would rather explore another alternative at present.
Your post was very helpful Chukler.
Thanks again.
So, you think Windows 10 will help the Aliens stuff a probe up your ass? Is that the only reason why you're not going with a bog-standard modern gaming system?
Thanks for the laugh defaultuser, also helpful.
Cheers!

A lot of PC gamers do what you are suggesting and build retro gaming builds. It sounds like your Internet may be slow but if you have a chance, check out PhilsComputerLab YouTube channel. He does a lot of retro builds and may give you some ideas. Here's an example XP build.

But yeah, if you build an XP station, I recommend not doing a lot of web browsing with it. It's probably safe to have connected to the web but don't use it as your "daily driver".

As for your 7 machine, you can still use updated browsers to safely browse the web, but 7 is becoming increasingly less secure as time goes on. If you do not want to move to Windows 10, you can definitely look at an OS ike Ubuntu which has a built in browser and office tools and such, plus it's secure and doesn't have a lot of the stuff people don't like about 10. However, the UI is a bit different, but if you are willing to learn you can use many version of Linux with just the UI.
Hey Chris.
Thanks a lot man.
Made my last post probably at the time you were posting
Good info.
I'm off to the sites that you gave me in the A.M.
Really appreciate your help.
Scratch...

Thank you sir:
I connect via satellite.
Not very much bandwidth for a lot of money.
I'm presently running Win 7 on top of Vista OEM.
I may at some time cave and get Win 10 but I would rather explore another alternative at present.
Your post was very helpful Chukler.
Thanks again.

Thanks for the laugh defaultuser, also helpful.
Cheers!
You're welcome! Keep us posted on what you decide.

Windows 10 is not bad if you install it offline and do a lot of setup before going online and activating. I disabled driver updates and unistalled the app store, and used WPD tool to disable and block telemetry, among some other minor tweaks. It has been a good experience so far since 12/02/19. Even all my emulators work great. Have not tried any XP era games though. I was a die hard Win7 loyalist as well, but I knew I had to move on eventually due to hardware and DX12 games. As far as using older OS to browse the web, and security concerns, if you don't do anything sensitive on the machine it won't matter. Just keep it isolated from any sensitive machines on the network, and keep up to date images for if something breaks it.

I think the trap of Windows is actually that it spreads procrastination. People could be using their gaming time to all sorts of productive activities. Huge amounts of resources are wasted. I made that mistake too when I was younger.

I think the trap of Windows is actually that it spreads procrastination. People could be using their gaming time to all sorts of productive activities. Huge amounts of resources are wasted. I made that mistake too when I was younger.
Hi BOOnie
I actually discussed your post at with my daughter this morning. (also a gamer)
The consensus was:
That gaming is good for the soul.
Gives the mind entertainment after workaday stress thinking, where you do need to be productive.
This workaday stress creates ulcers. (wanna see the scar)
Not gaming. (except flight sims, where you absolutely have to get that Messerschmitt)
Probably cleans out the cobwebs and improves memory for old farts like myself.
Certainly better than day time television. :)
Cheers!

Windows 10 is not bad if you install it offline and do a lot of setup before going online and activating. I disabled driver updates and unistalled the app store, and used WPD tool to disable and block telemetry, among some other minor tweaks. It has been a good experience so far since 12/02/19. Even all my emulators work great. Have not tried any XP era games though. I was a die hard Win7 loyalist as well, but I knew I had to move on eventually due to hardware and DX12 games. As far as using older OS to browse the web, and security concerns, if you don't do anything sensitive on the machine it won't matter. Just keep it isolated from any sensitive machines on the network, and keep up to date images for if something breaks it.
Thanks Vick.
Appreciate the info.

Hi BOOnie
I actually discussed your post at with my daughter this morning. (also a gamer)
The consensus was:
That gaming is good for the soul.
Gives the mind entertainment after workaday stress thinking, where you do need to be productive.
This workaday stress creates ulcers. (wanna see the scar)
Not gaming. (except flight sims, where you absolutely have to get that Messerschmitt)
Probably cleans out the cobwebs and improves memory for old farts like myself.
Certainly better than day time television. :)
Cheers!
I prefer to use the time for self improvement nowadays. If I need to unload I grab a few beers and watch a comedy.

Back