• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Old Dell Trinitron getting brighter and BRIGHTER

Have you changed you settings on your graphics card lately?If not, get a new monitor If you don't feel up to try fixing it ,because an repair shop will charge up to 75.00 to repair an 17 inch or bigger monitor or you can buy an 17 inch veiwsonic from walmart for 117.
 
Yeah, it's not a graphics card setting, because it still does it even when the computer is off and I get the "no signal" image. I ordered a new monitor that just got here today. Hopefully this one lasts longer. I was really in love w/ my monitor, the images was always nice and purty.
 
Crazy tech said:
Hi I found some info on your monitor happy hopping It says to replace C610,c611,c612,c614,cc15,ece ect and try replacing q512,q11and d540. Hope this helps. Now quiksilvr00 your monitor as one of two things wrong with it, one the horizontal transistor fried or, one or two of the caps in the horizontal section shorted. Good luck.

thanks. Just a quick question on the above, as I'm not a repair guy by trade. What's "ece, ect"?
 
Here's the update: the technician who worked on the monitor can't quite fixed it.

But he offer me a Sony 500 PS, 21" diagonal outside, true dimension is 20" diagonal, for $115. The monitor is very new, hardly noticeable that the monitor is used.

I fig. if I have to repair that old GDM-20SE, it'll cost me as least that much anyway. With this monitor, I can do 1600x 1200 x 85Hz. So far, every thing looks good on this monitor. But it takes a while to get used to.

I am happy at 1280x1024x 85Hz on this monitor, but 1600x1200x85Hz seems blur on some screen, I'll gather every s/w that I used and if I have any problem, I'll post a new thread for help.
 
If you're using an nvidia card try the image sharping in the advanced control panel and tweak the digital vibrance, on my nec monitor these two cleared up the blurring for me maybe it'll work for you.
 
I just click Nvidia desktop manager, and I don't see this function. Where did you see this function? Can you give me detail as in step by step getting to click this function?
 
Right click on your desktop to bring up the menu select properties, then click settings then at the bottom click advanced, next click geforce, then click color correction the now you should see the settings for digital vibrance, contrast,brightness and sharpness. Hope this helps?
 
Very useful. Thanks a lot. The digital vibrance was set to off. I now move it to low.

I'll also play around w/ the brightness, contrast, etc. and see what happens.
 
I never notice that Image Restoratino option on my Sony 21inch CRT e540. I never used the option because it always said, available after warm-up.

I had brightness at 20 from 1-100 and it was still too bright.

I set the brightness to 50-70, then waited the couple hours for warm-up and used image restoration. It started to do tests with the some grey screen and in 20 seconds or less it was done.

Immediatly I notice a huge difference, much darker and richer, blues and greens in Win XP just poped out now and very viberant.
 
I have a Trinitron from Dell but it has been getting darker and i ahve to have the brightness and contrast all the way up. Strangly this other monitor i have which is probably twice as old is proabably brighter than when i originally got it but it has been running fine for a year.
 
heeeee. thread resurrection for good cause! My dell 21" has been getting brighter and nastier for years.... i have no idea why I never googled the damn problem. I'd just liek to point out that I've been dealing with horrible image quality for like 4 years now, and all I had to do was run the "Color Return" from the OSD as mentioned a bit above in this thread. Fantastic!
 
I wouldn't recommend cranking a monitor case open yourself - theoretically there can be a lot of power stored in the caps.

If you really do want to do it work with your right hand, stand with feet shoulder length apart and have your left hand going behind you touching your back - that way if you do get electrocuted it'll run down your right side and hopefully won't stop your heart.

(was an Apple tech)
 
Wow, over a year since this thread.

My dad has the trinitron now that I had, it's looking too light again, with blacks almost a greyish green while the monitor warms up. Plus it gets fuzzier the lighter it gets. I'll have to remind him about the image restoration option again. But the monitor is still working.

I was also tempting him to go for that 24inch Sony widescreen Trinitron that's on ebay for around $400 shipped that's being talked about in this thread:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=952788&highlight=trinitron
 
bringing up an old thread again..

i just got a sony multiscan g500 that my sister got off the curb.. its a 21 inch.. bnc connectors on the back..

the bnc cable was messed up.. the red didn't work.. so i put on a standard 15 pin cable..

the monitor is way too bright though.. with the brightness at 0.. it is too bright..

i did image restoration.. reset.. and other stuff... but it didn't work..

also.. everything is doubled.. there is a very faint double of stuff about 8mm to the right.. so my cursor for example has a faint double to the right of it.. this is only noticeable with high contrast..

so... what do you think that problem is? i am going to crack er open one of these days.. probably not until next semester.. becasue i just want to get my shit done and leave for winter break... and see if those knobs will work.. but i am not sure if those will help with the double shadow crap.. and maybe osmeone knows what that means..
 
Check your screen for a pin connector.

MonitorRepair2005.gif
 
I have this problem on a Sony trinitron. It's about time you need to buy a 2405. As the repair cost is $840 and it only last 1.5 yr.
 
i got it from the trash.. no money is going into it.. i have dual 19 inch monitors in florida.. that i will be picking up in jan before i come back here for next semester...

i will try to fix it myself though.. i just gotta find that description on how to discharge the caps using resistors instead of the brute force screwdriver method which can damage surrounding components..

oh yeah.. i don't have that port on the back.. the monitor was made in 2000..

so yeah.. sometime in jan when i have the time i will crack it open
 
I got a Sony E400 and E440 that are doing this. The E440 also has a green tint when checking the grayscale. I only had both for about a year and they started doing this. Neither one of them have the Image Restoration feature. :(
 
Back
Top