Old box into a NAS / HTPC / Picture Editor

Limp Gawd
I’m finally going mobile and ordered an new i7 laptop. My first mods will be 8 gigs of ram and a M4 512 gig SSD.

My current box is a Q6600 setup that I want to move out to my TV. What I am hoping for is to convert it into a home theater / network attached storage / picture editing via lightroom and a master cs5 suite. Photography seems to be my main passion lately. I have many questions on how to accomplish this task. But first I would like to apologize in advance if these are stupid noobie questions. I rarely make it here to the forums anymore and have little time for research.

System specs are q6600 at 3.2 with 4x1 gig sticks of ram. ASUS P5K3 DELUXE and a SeaSonic power supply. The current Mushkin SSD will go into my wife’s Laptop and I’ll use two older raptors mirrored for windows 7 pro and the rest of the software. The storage is just two mirrored 2 tb drive but I’d like to double that and put it into a more functional raid 5 or maybe even raid 6 setup. I know I’ll need a controller for that and I have no idea on what’s needed and what’s overkill.

I’d like to move everything into this case. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163118. There just doesn’t seem to be any HTPC type cases that can handle a bunch of drives. This still has to look attractive to pass the wife test.

I figure I am gonna need a new video card and am looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102934 to replace what’s in there now. My TV has HDMI inputs and I figure that the easiest route. Although I have looked at the DVI to HDMI cables, I am unsure if this would be the best option for me. Any ideas here? I don't really have a home theater and rarely even turn it on anymore. But I would like the ability to record stuff to a hard drive and burn it to a disc when needed.

I am really interested in the ability to access this box when I'm on the road to upload my pictures to my storage drives. Thus my interest in a NAS type setup too. I’m pretty sure 7 can handle my on the road access needs. However, I have no clue in how to set that up. Can someone point me in the right direction for a step by step guide?

Lastly, my little 13.3" screen on the Toshiba Protégé' I am getting isn't known for very good graphics. I'll need to do most of my lightroom and other graphic style work from the Mitsubishi DLP TV I'll have this hooked up to. Having an additional monitor to use would be nice, but I'm not sure how that would work out. I gotta keep my wife happy with this set up too... ;) I might be able to get away with an additional monitor next to my chair if the setup wasn’t overly unattractive when not in use. But I do not know how to get around the long cable that would be required. Is there some sort of wireless setup I could utilize as a second monitor?

Again, I am sorry if these are basic noobie questions. I know no research time isn’t a good excuse, but that’s all I have.

The storage is just two mirrored 2 tb drive but I’d like to double that and put it into a more functional raid 5 or maybe even raid 6 setup. I know I’ll need a controller for that and I have no idea on what’s needed and what’s overkill.
If you're planning on using Windows, you're pretty much gonna need a true hardware RAID controller as a lot of software RAID solutions for Windows sucks. However, what exactly do you wish to accomplish with a RAID 5 or RAID 6 array?

I figure I am gonna need a new video card and am looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102934 to replace what’s in there now.
If you're using Adobe software, especially Adobe Premier Pro, you should be looking at a Nvidia card with at least 1GB of VRAM. Nvidia cards tend to provide better GPU acceleration for Adobe software.
My TV has HDMI inputs and I figure that the easiest route. Although I have looked at the DVI to HDMI cables, I am unsure if this would be the best option for me. Any ideas here?
DVI to HDMI adapters or cables are fine. However many video cards do come with a regular HDMI port.

I don't really have a home theater and rarely even turn it on anymore. But I would like the ability to record stuff to a hard drive and burn it to a disc when needed.
What "stuff" do you want to record? Local Over The Air content?
I am really interested in the ability to access this box when I'm on the road to upload my pictures to my storage drives. Thus my interest in a NAS type setup too. I’m pretty sure 7 can handle my on the road access needs. However, I have no clue in how to set that up. Can someone point me in the right direction for a step by step guide?
It's generally recommended NOT to combine the HTPC and NAS together.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1419906

With that said, you could try setting up a FTP server or a Hamachi VLAN to connect to your PC and upload pictures.

Back