Old Apple 30 inch..replace with what?

harsaphes

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey all. So I'm looking to replace my Apple 30 inch cinema display. I've had this monitor for about 5 years or so. I would like to stay in the 27 inch size range.
Use is gaming, browsing, screenwriting(final draft)
I'm looking for something that looks good and works just as well.
I like my Apple but their current monitors don't seem to have the many input options other manufactures have. They are also 1000 dollars, which I could spend up to but would prefer not to.
Any ideas or a direction to go would be helpful.
Thanks.

EDIT. The more I look around (amazon) the more confusing it is. Should I just get another Apple?
EDIT God, I've edited this post so much..sry. Seems it could be a problem connecting the PC to the newer Apple displays so that might leave them out.

Last edited:
I would seriously consider keeping that 30" Apple Cinema Display unless you really have to have those extra inputs. That said, if you're set on changing, the next best thing would probably be a 27" WQHD (2560x1440) monitor with multiple inputs; they're at least getting easier to find in the wild.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Was actually thinking the same thing after looking around. Thanks.

NP--I actually went from an ACD to a Dell U3011, and while I don't necessarily regret it the only time I've ever used an input other than DVI-1 on this damn thing was for a server. Save that money! :)

I replaced mine with a Dell 3007wfp-hc. It looks a lot better. I'm sure picking up any modern 30" will be better.

If you want proper colors for media, a non-grainy matte coating, deeper blacks and better motion performance don't buy a 30" monitor.

Just to revive this thread, if Apple isn't going to replace the Cinema HD 30", then what's the current best choice at that size and resolution?

I have the original version, which has 400:1 contrast ratio. Am thinking it shouldn't be difficult to find a new model that gives better than that these days? Or am I mistaken

I have a MacBook Air, so cant push more pixels than this externally, but would prefer 30" rather than go down to 27".

Well, they are all about the same if I'm not mistaken. If I were you, I would get something that has DP and be done with it. If heat is an issue, get something with LED lighting (Dell u3014). If input lag is an issue, then getting a 30" without a scaler is good (Dell 3007wfp-HC, 3007wfp [these two don't have DisplayPort]) (HP ZR30w)

Just to revive this thread, if Apple isn't going to replace the Cinema HD 30", then what's the current best choice at that size and resolution?

In the monitor world, asking this question is akin to asking which kind of anthrax tastes better. Aside from being bigger, 30" monitors are mediocre in every way compared the 27" 1440p and 4k 32" options. They suffer from far more corner glow (measured contrast is irrelevant when viewing a 30" from less than 121cm/4ft away when not placed in extremely bright rooms), grainy matte coatings (CCFL 30"), inaccurate wide gamut colours (the first ACD is not wide gamut) with mediocre sRGB modes inferior to 170$ 23" IPS and/or extreme overshoot ghosting (Dell 3014 & Lenovo LT3053P).

Get a 4K 32" (Acer B326HK or BenQ BL3201PH) or 27" 1440p monitor which are much cheaper (best 27" 1440p monitor thread). You might like your Apple, but ignorance is bliss.

Well, they are all about the same if I'm not mistaken. If I were you, I would get something that has DP and be done with it. If heat is an issue, get something with LED lighting (Dell u3014). If input lag is an issue, then getting a 30" without a scaler is good (Dell 3007wfp-HC, 3007wfp [these two don't have DisplayPort]) (HP ZR30w)

Thanks for the info - and I appreciate that someone was listening specifically to what I was actually asking.

Looks great, but as stated I'm working with a Macbook air 2013 and I think a single 2560x1600 screen is the max pixels I can push externally with it. Its the laptop I've been issued at work and so that's what I've got to work with. They have the 13" MPB as well, but I hate the way the edge of palmrest digs into my wrists while typing so and I dont want that thing.

Otherwise, my solution would have been a lot simple: I'd just get two 27 inchers. So basically what I'm after is the best 2560x1600 in the biggest size that is reasonable and proportional.

So far sounds like suiken_2mieu's rec for the Dell U3014 would be the way to go.

Thanks for the info - and I appreciate that someone was listening specifically to what I was actually asking.

Except you are obviously unaware of the differences between your original ACD and newer 30" or ignored my response.

The original ACD is not a wide gamut monitor like newer 30" which have vastly over-saturated and inaccurate colours which can not necessarily be changed without using color management which is not supported by games and some programs (Dell 3007, HP ZR30W and Z30i) or have poor colours when using their sRGB mode (3008, 3011 and 3014) compared to cheap budget IPS.

The Dell 3014 suffers from extreme overshoot ghosting which even shows up when scrolling text or moving windows slowly, unlike your Mac and ACD. It's also likely that your Macbook Air's TN panels colours are superior to the 3014's sRGB mode.

Last edited:

There's a little too much spite in this post for my liking. Please understand, people are trying to inform you that there are much cheaper alternatives that will perform and look much better than the 30" monitors you're looking for.

Wouldn't you prefer a monitor with a clearer matte coating, lower input lag, less glow and all the other bells and whistles you could ask for in exchange for a small amount of size and resolution? I certainly would.

The Dell U3014 is an overshooting mess and isn't suitable for gaming, or even web browsing. If you have to go the 30" route for some reason, then consider the extremely expensive NEC PA302W because everything else is awful at this screen size.

Edit: I thought you were the OP of this thread.

Last edited:

There's a little too much spite in this post for my liking. Please understand, people are trying to inform you that there are much cheaper alternatives that will perform and look much better than the 30" monitors you're looking for.

Wouldn't you prefer a monitor with a clearer matte coating, lower input lag, less glow and all the other bells and whistles you could ask for in exchange for a small amount of size and resolution? I certainly would.

The Dell U3014 is an overshooting mess and isn't suitable for gaming, or even web browsing. If you have to go the 30" route for some reason, then consider the extremely expensive NEC PA302W because everything else is awful at this screen size.

Edit: I thought you were the OP of this thread.

No, I am not the OP, thus I stated that. But more important, I stated that my laptop maxes out at 2560x1600 externally and I want to max it, since I cant push 2 external screens. So 4K recommendations are not exactly "help" even if they are great screens - because I cant use them.

I'm not looking for the best screen in the world, especially given I am working with constraints - but all I'm asking is: surely there is something out there today that would be a surefire upgrade on a 10 yr old screen that had a 400-1 contrast ratio when new (and probably even less by now)?

No, I am not the OP, thus I stated that. But more important, I stated that my laptop maxes out at 2560x1600 externally and I want to max it, since I cant push 2 external screens. So 4K recommendations are not exactly "help" even if they are great screens - because I cant use them.

I'm not looking for the best screen in the world, especially given I am working with constraints - but all I'm asking is: surely there is something out there today that would be a surefire upgrade on a 10 yr old screen that had a 400-1 contrast ratio when new (and probably even less by now)?

I made that edit because I had assumed you were a writer (as per the op) and likened you to myself.

You're being recommended 27" 1440p screens that blow the 30" 1600p screens out of the water. Furthermore, contrast only affects black depth; buying a 30" monitor that glows profusely will result in horrible black levels no matter the calibrated or uncalibrated contrast.

Something like the LG 27MB85R-B (on NCX's list), glows less, is delay-free, has excellent pixel response and color presets, and can be found for half the price of the 30" monitors you're seeking.

I did clarify:
"....Otherwise, my solution would have been a lot simple: I'd just get two 27 inchers. So basically what I'm after is the best 2560x1600 in the biggest size that is reasonable and proportional...."

In any case, you can put the handbags way - I'm just going to hang on the the ACD 30" for now. Replacing laptop will be a better place to start the upgrading process, as that seems to be the current bottleneck.

Last edited:
I did clarify:
"....Otherwise, my solution would have been a lot simple: I'd just get two 27 inchers. So basically what I'm after is the best 2560x1600 in the biggest size that is reasonable and proportional...."

In any case, you can put the handbags way - I'm just going to hang on the the ACD 30" for now. Replacing laptop will be a better place to start the upgrading process, as that seems to be the current bottleneck.

And we're basically saying that you may as well ditch the extra 160 vertical resolution because all of the 30" monitors suck compared to 27" 1440p alternatives.

Evidently, you did not read any of the information given to you regarding this matter.

Furthermore, as I pointed out earlier, your desire for a monitor with greater contrast is highly illogical because contrast only affects black depth, and every single one of the 30" 1600p monitors glows profusely, meaning the measured contrast ratio is inconsequential as the blacks will look horrible.

Last edited:
I read it. I don't think you read what I said. I said: better in relation to the 11 year old monitor, but with same resolution - which I want to maintain that resolution because I am limited to a single external screens. But no answers provided an explicit or detailed comparison of these, neither contrast ratio nor black level.

I don't need a long dissertation on 27" 1440p, as I would simply have gotten 2x 27" 1440p and been done with if I wanted that resolution and had the laptop output capabiilty for it.

The entire inquiry hinges on the limitations of the particular laptop and me wanting not to go down in vertical resolution given the single-external-screen limitation. This was not a "what's your current favourite bestest 27" for gaming" question.

At this point the entire thing is a moot point as I am done with the inquiry - you seem to not have read that bit either.

You're just swinging around in an empty phone booth now. See ya.

And we're basically saying that you may as well ditch the extra 160 vertical resolution because all of the 30" monitors suck compared to 27" 1440p alternatives.

Evidently, you did not read any of the information given to you regarding this matter.

Furthermore, as I pointed out earlier, your desire for a monitor with greater contrast is highly illogical because contrast only affects black depth, and every single one of the 30" 1600p monitors glows profusely, meaning the measured contrast ratio is inconsequential as the blacks will look horrible.

Hello Hello! So I think I can add in some light as NCX has helped me numerous times.

You guys are not listening to him. He actually was really clear he wants a 30" monitor and above. He prefers to not go lower and likes having his "1600p" I can sympathize since I have those Dell 30" U3014's

Lets not badger him about 27" monitors as hes welcome to his opinion. Will write you a PM and try to help you if you want.

Cheers.

Good advice is good advice whether someone wants to accept it or not. Given the information available, only a monitor noob or a dick would encourage someone to buy a 30" monitor over a 1440p or 4K monitor.

Last edited:
Back