ok so does PS3's Software BC work fine now?

spincut

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 19, 2005
Messages
1,191
I was just curious if software BC has yet reached the point where most/all games run on it just as it would the hardware BC version, or if people still find they run into problems?
 
There is no software BC. I assume you're talking about the cutdown BC used in the 80gb model?
 
There is no software BC. I assume you're talking about the cutdown BC used in the 80gb model?

There is Software BC, "i" assume you're talking about the "software" BC in the current 80GB BC model? because it's software bc.
 
Ok... so why isn't that software BC available on the other PS3 models? Any idea?
 
There is Software BC, "i" assume you're talking about the "software" BC in the current 80GB BC model? because it's software bc.

It's actually 50/50 software/hardware. There isn't full software BC available for the PS3 yet.
 
It's actually 50/50 software/hardware. There isn't full software BC available for the PS3 yet.

I really hope yet is an accurate statement and it comes. Probably not, but it would be great for some games I'd like to play again.

Ugh, just gotta cave and buy another ps2 mem card i guess
 
I doubt they're going to work more on this--it seems like they're going to cut BC with the new 80GB Core PS3.

This is another reason I'm glad I found a 60GB when I did.
 
Ok... so why isn't that software BC available on the other PS3 models? Any idea?

assuming you're genuinely asking (since you've established you arent familiar with this very well known fact) Sony released the 40GB core system with no B/C for PS2 games, but before they did that they discontinued the hardware BC 60GB and replaced it with the 80GB model that is now out, which employs software enabled backwards compatability to run/emulate ps2 games. Sony even has a software B/C database to look up games and any possible issues.

To answer your hopefully genuine (and not attemptably contradictory) question, Sony claims they want people to focus on buying PS3 games for the PS3, and PS2 for PS2, and no longer care as much on the draw that it can play your older game library as they used to.

But suffice it to say at the present time, only the 40GB has no backwards compatability for PS2 games, the 60GB was hardware based, and the 80GB is software based (although as someone else said there is still a chip it uses as well).

***....ANYWAY, back to the original question, for those that have had a 80GB PS3 for a while, do you find it mostly plays your games the same at this point?
 
The 80gb has the PS2's graphics processor inside of it, still. It only emulates the CPU.
 
I doubt they're going to work more on this--it seems like they're going to cut BC with the new 80GB Core PS3.

This is another reason I'm glad I found a 60GB when I did.

Me as well. I was going to ebay mine but I kept it instead and I am sure glad I did. 60GB PS3 for the win :D.
 
assuming you're genuinely asking (since you've established you arent familiar with this very well known fact)
I'm glad others have already cleared it up for you... but to make sure: The 80gb model contains the PS2 GPU, the old 60gb contained the PS2 GPU and the CPU, the current 40gb (and future 80gb) contain no PS2 hardware at all - which is why they can't run PS2 games.

Software BC is something a lot of people are waiting for, but no-one knows if it's ever going to happen (probably not at this stage).
 
I'm glad others have already cleared it up for you... but to make sure: The 80gb model contains the PS2 GPU, the old 60gb contained the PS2 GPU and the CPU, the current 40gb (and future 80gb) contain no PS2 hardware at all - which is why they can't run PS2 games.

Software BC is something a lot of people are waiting for, but no-one knows if it's ever going to happen (probably not at this stage).

This is correct, and the original post seemed to refer to full software bc, which has been rumored at times but never made concrete. The 80gb is not full software bc, as has been stated several times now. Not sure why the OP got so defensive...
 
ok so now that people have cleared up all the semantics of the question can someone please answer him? The Spirit of his question is this: With an 80 gig version of the PS3 what percentage of PS2 games can run on it compared to th 60 gig model that basically has a PS2 built into it.

I cannot answer because I own a 60 gig version sorry
 
My best suggestion on that would be to look at one of the user created BC lists online. The official one is iffy (suggesting perfect compatibility on games that have issues). That way at least you can check if the specific games you have work (or games you're interested in).

There hasn't been much in the way of updates, but a couple of titles have had compatibility improved.
 
Me as well. I was going to ebay mine but I kept it instead and I am sure glad I did. 60GB PS3 for the win :D.

Yeah, I jumped on the PS3 train early when Tekken DR and Tekken 6 were announced and I have to say I'm pretty glad I got a 60GB. I ended up giving away my PS2 and never looked back.
I think they see the money the PS2 is continuing to make (and finance much of what they're doing I'd guess) so they probably don't want to have the PS3 cannibalize that.
The 60GB model has the most features of any PS3 model, plus since HD's can be swapped - it's futureproof, too.
 
Yeah, I jumped on the PS3 train early when Tekken DR and Tekken 6 were announced and I have to say I'm pretty glad I got a 60GB. I ended up giving away my PS2 and never looked back.
I think they see the money the PS2 is continuing to make (and finance much of what they're doing I'd guess) so they probably don't want to have the PS3 cannibalize that.
The 60GB model has the most features of any PS3 model, plus since HD's can be swapped - it's futureproof, too.

I feel the same with my 20gb. Got a huge HD in it now, and i have a 40gb for my entertainment system.
But honestly i havent used PS2 BC more than 5 times to play GT4.
 
ok so now that people have cleared up all the semantics of the question can someone please answer him? The Spirit of his question is this: With an 80 gig version of the PS3 what percentage of PS2 games can run on it compared to th 60 gig model that basically has a PS2 built into it.

I cannot answer because I own a 60 gig version sorry

exactly, it is still requiring software to run as opposed to the previous hardware one so it's very very VERY pointless semantics to talk about it when everyone understands what the "software B/C 80GB model" is.

anyhow, I already know where the database/list is, but i still want to here from actual people, as many have said (earlier on though) that it overall didnt run as well as the hardware version did. But with many of the bugs and glitches seemingly fixed, i'm curious for those that do own it a more personal account. Aside from the odd glitch that would be covered on the list, does it run B/C basically the same as the 60GB/PS2 models now?
 
you may just want to make a list of PS2 games you own or want to play and check that list. I bought my 60 gig near launch and to tell you the truth the only BC I have ever done is replay all the metal gear solid games so I could get a better grip on the story line for when I played MGS4. The idea of BC was much more a factor of my purchase than the actual use of it. I own close to 50 PS2 titles but they are collecting dust since I would rather play new titles. Although I did buy Joust from the PSN Store just to laugh at a really old game I used to enjoy back in the day at the arcade. ( Remember when we had to leave the house to play good games?)
 
Just as a counter-point to some people saying that no one uses the PS3 BC: I use it incessantly. The PS3 is a far superior way to play PS1 and PS2 games, for the most part. You get:
1. 1080p upscaling
2. AV over a single HDMI cable
3. Free memory cards (on your HDD)
4. All of the hardware PS2 accessories (broadband, HDD)
5. Dual Shock 3 controller (which is better than the DS2 you'd be using on a PS2)
6. You don't waste a component input on your TV/receiver for the PS2.

Pretty much the only thing it's worse for is PS2 games that use guitars or dance pads. In the former case, I'd just say "time to upgrade". In the latter, well, you're screwed for now and forever, since Konami seems to have made the 360 their platform of choice for DDR.
 
Yeah, I'm pretty much with erwos, although I don't have any of the dance pads or anything like that.
Still, I'm a fighting game fanatic and I have my library of Tekken, Street Fighter, Sould Calibur, Virtua Fighter, etc. games from the PS2 that I play all the time.
PS2 games look better on a PS3 as they're upscaled. The graphics don't "improve" but they aren't as blocky and pixelated on an HDTV. Plus, like he mentions - all accessories/memory are automatic.

If you play God of War and do the "HD" trick on it along with the upscaler - it looks pretty killer. Reminds me of the upscaled Ninja Gaiden when played on a 360.
 
These backward compat issues are turning the original 20GB and 60GB into real collector's items.
In the future they will be seen as the ideal PS3 models.
 
5. Dual Shock 3 controller (which is better than the DS2 you'd be using on a PS2)

I disagree. The DS3 is a bit inferior as a controller. The face buttons don't have as much range in there pressure sensitivity. The sticks are flatter on top, making it harder to have a secure connection with your thumb when tilting the stick at steeper angles. While I don't mind the triggers on the DS3, they do muck up certain features in games. Overall I think R2 and L2 on the DS2 are a better design for general use.
 
you may just want to make a list of PS2 games you own or want to play and check that list. I bought my 60 gig near launch and to tell you the truth the only BC I have ever done is replay all the metal gear solid games so I could get a better grip on the story line for when I played MGS4. The idea of BC was much more a factor of my purchase than the actual use of it. I own close to 50 PS2 titles but they are collecting dust since I would rather play new titles. Although I did buy Joust from the PSN Store just to laugh at a really old game I used to enjoy back in the day at the arcade. ( Remember when we had to leave the house to play good games?)

no, i already said i made this thread to get a real human response to how it works. Many said earlier on the software versions just didnt work as well (wasnt sure if they were just refering to known bugs/glitches or general performance), and while i'm sure it's been improved, it would be nice to hear from real life people to see if their games generally performed the same.
 
I have never had any issues with the PS2 games I have played on my 80gb ps3. I have only tried about 4 games total though.
 
I have never had any issues with the PS2 games I have played on my 80gb ps3. I have only tried about 4 games total though.

so they didnt perform any different?

One thing i had trouble early on is when people cited issues with performance, if it was related only to listed glitches, or if it was general smoothness of performance.....and if that has been improved upon through updates (even though it looks like they're going to stop updating the software BC database soon).
 
so they didnt perform any different?

One thing i had trouble early on is when people cited issues with performance, if it was related only to listed glitches, or if it was general smoothness of performance.....and if that has been improved upon through updates (even though it looks like they're going to stop updating the software BC database soon).

Here's the basic deal:

You're asking for a really specific answer from a really specific person: namely, someone who has played through a tons of games first on PS2 to know what they were all originally like AND played them all on an 80GB PS3 when they first came out AND has recently just played through them all again to make sure they all still work / perform better.

Yes, there were problems with the PS3's "software" emulation at the beginning with some games, but not all. From what I have heard, most of these problems are still there and there have been only a few incrimental changes since then. Many games worked in the past and continue to work. If you really need to play the games just as well as the early hardware models, then ebay one of those models.
 
there were problems, they are still there, games worked then games work now. That seemingly covers almost everyp ossible answer though.

I can find any noted glitches from searching the software database, but i was curious if people feel that outside of documented glitches (Which dont seem to be addressed nearly enough, and probably wont if they dont keep supporting and fixing what issues are left) that the games run like they would on any otther system.
 
To make things more confusing the new 80GB model won't have backwards compatibility.
 
How is that not helping? Your asking if people feel that other than documented gliches if games run the way they would on other systems.

I've played many PS2 games and currently playing Hitman:BM, and "working fine" would be answering your question.

What is the answer your looking for?
 
How is that not helping? Your asking if people feel that other than documented gliches if games run the way they would on other systems.

I've played many PS2 games and currently playing Hitman:BM, and "working fine" would be answering your question.

What is the answer your looking for?

look closer, i am asking if the games run the way they would on their "80GB" system. I am not really that curious how the 60GB version runs as it's all hardware based and is probably on par with just a regular PS2.
 
So far, I've tried like God of War 2, and Soul Calibur 3 & 4, all of which seem to run a bit slower framerate than on the PS2

Edit: tried them on my 80GB that is
 
So far, I've tried like God of War 2, and Soul Calibur 3 & 4, all of which seem to run a bit slower framerate than on the PS2

Edit: tried them on my 80GB that is

well that's a bit unnerving, from the comments i got so far it seemed like everything worked fine out of a few well documented glitches from the databse, not good to know they actually do run differently like that.

btw though, Soul Calibur 4 isn't out yet, and when it comes out it will be for the PS3, it wont be a PS2 game.
 
well that's a bit unnerving, from the comments i got so far it seemed like everything worked fine out of a few well documented glitches from the databse, not good to know they actually do run differently like that.

btw though, Soul Calibur 4 isn't out yet, and when it comes out it will be for the PS3, it wont be a PS2 game.

Sorry, meant to say "Soul Calibur 2 & 3". I have Soul Calibur IV on the brain, heh
 
Back
Top