Ok Installed Linux. What do I do now?

USMC2Hard4U

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Apr 4, 2003
Messages
6,157
Ok. I successfully Installed Linux Mint (Via a recommendation)

What do I do now? lol. Drivers? Programs? Do I need to set other stuff up? If so How do I do this? Should I get an AntiVirus? Do I even Need one? Is there a free one?
 
1. learn the inner workings of a linux box
2. learn how to network and make two or more linux boxes talk to each other
3. install and get familiar with production software such as apache / tomcat and mysql / pgsql / *sql
4. get linux related admin / engineering job
5. ???
6. profit
 
basically just play and fingure out whats going on. what distro did you install? you can check out their package management tool to get some new programs and stuff.

Clam AV is supposed to be pretty good.
 
If you have to ask then you're probably not a big enough nerd to enjoy linux. Sorry, but it's true.
 
What do I do now? lol.

That's a common question after installing linux for the first time. The answer is to just use it as you normally would. Also, think "baby steps".

What tasks do you do normally use your computer for? Make a list and then work through it.

ex.
1. I check my email.
Launch Evolution (or whatever your distro comes with) and start configuring it.

After you have that taken care of, move onto the next task. :)

2. I need to be able to edit documents.
Launch Oo_O Writer and check it out.

The place where you get stuck is when you jump in with a bunch of things at once.
ex."Ok. I just got this awesome linux installed. I think I need to get mp3 support so I can stream DVDs from my Icecast Apache into my Doom server! .... I think it's something like that.. maybe... that's what it said in a forum anyway. ... this is confusing and sucks..."

Linux apps tends to be very single task focused, and in my experience it helps if initially you take the same approach in compartmentalizing the things you do.
 
format your hard drive and install a decent Linux distro, like Gentoo!!! for example ;)
 
Ok. I successfully Installed Linux Mint (Via a recommendation)

What do I do now? lol. Drivers? Programs? Do I need to set other stuff up? If so How do I do this? Should I get an AntiVirus? Do I even Need one? Is there a free one?

Once you get everything up and running for your daily usage. It's time to play with it.

If it ain't broke, go break it then fix it.
 
Once you get everything up and running for your daily usage. It's time to play with it.

If it ain't broke, go break it then fix it.

This is actually good advice. I learned alot just by messing with it, and then having to find out how to fix it.
 
by installing linux, you agree to extoll it's virtues to anyone and everyone that will listen.

don t forget to bring up the live-cd ~ try before you install capability, and the ease of setting up a dual boot...

Mint is a nice distro, I use it on my Eee PC =)
 
What do I do now? lol. Drivers? Programs? Do I need to set other stuff up? If so How do I do this? Should I get an AntiVirus? Do I even Need one? Is there a free one?

Under linux you don't have to worry about drivers (generally.) Mint is very good at automating installs of things like third-party binary only video card drivers. In fact, that's basically the most important way in which Ubuntu and Mint are different.
I agree with whoever it was who said to think about your priorities and uses. Basically, other than gaming, anything that can be done in Windows can be done in linux (plus some other stuff, too, but that's generally highly specialized software for businesses, or highly nerdy software... y'know... for nerds.)
Antivirus generally isn't necesary, but if you'r worried you can try out ClamAV. It's free as in freedom.

I would also recommend checking out synaptic. You see, in most linux distros, when you want a new piece of software, you don't generally do it like in windows (in windows, I would go to the website for the piece of software, find the big download button, and then click it, follow a wizard and then launch it from the start menu.) In Ubuntu (and Mint) you run the synaptic package manager from the menu system (I'm not sure how Mint's menus are layed out, just google it) find the piece of software in there, and install it from there. Then it will be in the menus.
Here are some neat recommendations of things to check out on synaptic:
amarok
mplayer
wesnoth
scummvm
audacity
Nexuiz
OpenArena
freeciv
And that's just what comes to mind right now, there are tens of thousands of software packages in there!
Good luck!
 
Back
Top