Oh... so THAT's blurring (New VA Panel)

Ryun

Limp Gawd
I just picked up this beautiful BenQ LED BL2400PU monitor for around $280. It's a VA based panel, and I've done quite a bit of research on each panel before I bought so I knew what I was getting into.

I love it. I'm coming from a 32" IPS based TV that I had been using and I can automatically tell the difference. Obviously text is going to be sharper on the BenQ because of the ppi but it certainly doesn't do the LG TV I have any favors. The contrast is amazing, and the blacks are very deep.

I don't have a calibrator, but I think the colors look nicer on my the factory settings on my BenQ (but that's totally subjective).

I do kinda notice the blurring, but it's not really all that bad. Even with fast paced games it has to be right in front of me to see it -- or I have to be looking for it --, and then it's usually when it's a very dark object on a light background (or vice versa). Don't get me wrong, I can pick it out but it certainly doesn't bother me.

The only thing that does really bother me (and even my girlfriend who doesn't usually care about this stuff) is that there's like a line on my screen that doesn't seem to refresh as quickly. So it tears the image when I move stuff below this line. Even on slow moving things (like dragging a window).

I haven't really debugged it yet, so I'm gonna try on another cable/PC/GPU before I blame the monitor. Has anyone else run into an issue like this?

Thanks for your reply Evil, but I just figured it out. I still have my TV hooked up, and I had my card duplicating the displays. Turning this feature off fixes my tearing problem. I have the TV connected via HDMI and the BenQ on a DVI cable on a 6870.

I wonder if I update the drivers, or change to displayport it'll fix it.

Oh and sorry for the misleading title. I was thinking one thing and wrote something else. If a mod reads this could they please change it to read "New VA Monitor" instead?

congrats on your new screen Ryun.

Im glad to hear that you found a fix to your problem that fast - although it isnt the most practical solution.
I am getting a EW2430 in the mail today, it should be at my doorstep when I get home in 2 hours. It will be replacing my trusty old 20wgx2, which has top notch colors (not great blacks, but the glossy coating makes up for that somewhat) and a great overdrive.
When I read the title and first part of the post, I was worried that you (and probably myself) would be disappointed with the slow response time of the VA panel.

Cant wait to go home haha

edit: damn it, I missed the postman by 5 minutes. Now Im going to have to wait until tomorrow and go pick that giant box up on my bike :S

Last edited:
The black levels on these panels will make you question what you thought was black in the past Mokkat (in a good way). In terms of response time I find most people are more bothered by ghosting/reverse ghosting than blurring, so it's possible this monitor will be good for ya.

those panels have 3x contrast ratio other monitor have but 3x more response time as well... :D

just turn AMA (BenQ name for RTC) off in menu and you will like picture. With it you will see smearing and artifacts everywhere :eek: AMA is good for games and nothing else...

Welcome to the VA club. Hahaha. Not many people know that VA panels are much sharper and accurate for text. They produce absolutely stunning images as well. Not many monitors out there have native 3000:1 contrast ratio and it does make a huge difference. Especially for their price point. I'm about to purchase me a BL2400PU as well. I love how adjustable and ergonomically friendly it is. The LED backlit is a great plus as well.

The new EW2430 looks stunning as well. I currently have the EW2420 and its awesome, movies look great on it. A buddy of mine recently got his EW2430, he can't stop raving about how cool of a monitor it is and how happy he is getting it.

Mokkat how you finding your new EW2430?

Back