Official World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Thread.

Have my last exam of the semester this afternoon. Hopping into Cata FINALLY once I get home.

Still trying to decide what to level, any advice would be great.

I have 4 80's

Druid (Boomkin)
Priest
Mage
Rogue

They have all been my main at various times, but I'm not particularly attached to any. Trying to decide what would be most fun to start out with this time around.

In fact, I would imagine that you didn't actually clear ICC25 on a once a week raid schedule without skipping bosses?

By the time we had LK on farm, we could clear the entire instance on normal 25 in about 3 hours. There was no skipping of bosses, each wing's final boss had to be down to open up the portal to the frozen throne. We did extend the raid lockout several times leading up to our first LK kill so we didn't have to constantly kill trash/unnecessary bosses.

Maybe its the fact that I'm on a bleeding edge progression server, but I don't see myself as being a glowing exception. We were the 43rd guild on the server to down LK in 25man. He was down months before the expansion. Pretty sure the 38th or even the 27th guild on the server to down him wouldn't consider themselves "hardcore."

Last edited:
I came face to face with Deathwing and Ragnaros this morning in Mt Hyjal. Part of the zone intro where you fly on the green dragon. Those are 2 scary motherfrackers. :eek:

You are face to face with Ragnaros but he just floats there, swing that damn hammer!

Have my last exam of the semester this afternoon. Hopping into Cata FINALLY once I get home.

I have 4 80's

Druid (Boomkin)
Priest
Mage
Rogue

They have all been my main at various times, but I'm not particularly attached to any. Trying to decide what would be most fun to start out with this time around.

I've found leveling my shadow priest harder past 83, not sure if I'm doing something wrong though. Mindspike 3 times, then mindblast, mindspike 2 times then SW:Death but that uses a considerable amount of mana. I would level a rogue first due to less downtime for mana, plus stealth. Lots of 85's now on my realm just camping leveling areas now.

Got my druid to 85 yesterday. Healing is different when it compared to WotLK. In WotLK all you pretty much had to do as a resto druid is spam regrowth and rejuv with a nourish and wild growth here and there. In Cata regrowth and rejuv are mana hogs so spamming them will make you run out of mana really quick. Realized that there is a much larger emphasis on lifebloom and swiftmend in Cata which is interesting since they were rarely used in WotLK.

I have 4 80's

Druid (Boomkin)
Priest
Mage
Rogue

Druid...but I am partial to druids. On a pvp server, they are nice since they are still escape artists.

I've found leveling my shadow priest harder past 83, not sure if I'm doing something wrong though. Mindspike 3 times, then mindblast, mindspike 2 times then SW:Death but that uses a considerable amount of mana. I would level a rogue first due to less downtime for mana, plus stealth. Lots of 85's now on my realm just camping leveling areas now.

All the news from beta about rogues was constant QQ, so I'll have to see how those are.

Druid...but I am partial to druids. On a pvp server, they are nice since they are still escape artists.

Yeah, I like my druid I just get bored of looking at the same animal forms all the time. I wish they had done away with moonkin form like they did with tree, I would be a happy camper.

Thanks for the tips.

I have 4 80's

Druid (Boomkin)
Priest
Mage
Rogue

I leveled a boomkin to 85. Being able to instant to flight/aquatic form is really amazing for leveling. The aquatic form in Vashjir is as fast as the seahorse mount, of course with no cast time. Swooping down and /using quest items and not having to dismount is a great thing.

Got my druid to 85 yesterday. Healing is different when it compared to WotLK. In WotLK all you pretty much had to do as a resto druid is spam regrowth and rejuv with a nourish and wild growth here and there. In Cata regrowth and rejuv are mana hogs so spamming them will make you run out of mana really quick. Realized that there is a much larger emphasis on lifebloom and swiftmend in Cata which is interesting since they were rarely used in WotLK.

Yeah its way different than wotlk and for Druids in general. I am finding the biggest emphasis to be on using Nourish...and not using Rejuv (haven't done any 10/25 raids yet though...).

I leveled a boomkin to 85. Being able to instant to flight/aquatic form is really amazing for leveling. The aquatic form in Vashjir is as fast as the seahorse mount, of course with no cast time. Swooping down and /using quest items and not having to dismount is a great thing.

Yeah, the first time i discovered you could do that I almost came. I'm really surprised otehr classes don't complain about it more, I guess maybe it's a well kept druid secret :p

Yeah, the first time i discovered you could do that I almost came. I'm really surprised otehr classes don't complain about it more, I guess maybe it's a well kept druid secret :p

I noticed that,but I loved being able to run along the sea floor hella fast before getting the sea horse mount.

Yeah its way different than wotlk and for Druids in general. I am finding the biggest emphasis to be on using Nourish...and not using Rejuv (haven't done any 10/25 raids yet though...).

Been tanking on my druid, ran stonecore 2 times last night, bringing the total to 5 runs in there. So far, had a 2 druids, 2 priests, and a pally healing. While it could just be the players since sample so small, but here is what I noticed. Both druids seemed to have trouble keeping my hp pool above 60% on most boss fights, hit 500hp on the second to last boss. The priests did fine, though appeared to have major mana issues. The pally was the best, no mana issues and my hp was always 75%+ full.

Does druid healing feel much harder to you? Am I just imagining them struggling more?

For some 84 and more 85 mobs, because they have over 60k HP, I use VT SWP MB MF until SWD, and just rotate using AA, SF, and Dispersion to keep my mana up. Make sure you have glyph of SWD and spirit tap.

Been tanking on my druid, ran stonecore 2 times last night, bringing the total to 5 runs in there. So far, had a 2 druids, 2 priests, and a pally healing. While it could just be the players since sample so small, but here is what I noticed. Both druids seemed to have trouble keeping my hp pool above 60% on most boss fights, hit 500hp on the second to last boss. The priests did fine, though appeared to have major mana issues. The pally was the best, no mana issues and my hp was always 75%+ full.

Does druid healing feel much harder to you? Am I just imagining them struggling more?

I think "harder" is not the best way to describe, but kinda. The main thing I found is that you basically have to change the way you play. The first few dungeons I ran while leveling (with 6k 80 gear and a few quest upgrades) was rough and extremely challenging because I was dropping rejuvs on everyone and spamming regrowth for my ToL, not using Tranq etc. That coupled with dps not focusing mobs, interrupting things, and standing in death made it very difficult. I was oom very quickly with no big heals to dish out fast.

I changed things up where I pretty much do this: Keep 3 stacks of LB on tank, Nourish to keep LB's on tank, if group is taking damage use WG, Nourish everyone keeping LB up on tank (can let it drop for burst if necessary), and using rejuv/regrowth/swiftmend if stuff gets a bit hectic. Using a clearcast for a regrowth+swiftmend is nice as well. Also, in hectic times, ToL plus rolling LB's on everyone is amazing, as well as Tranq. After this I had no issues healing successfully and my mana was never issue (aka I didnt have to drink every pull). It seems now the only times there is problems is if the DPS isnt on top of their game. Some of the group-wide damage is near unhealable, however it is avoidable.

Also, Paladins *were by far the strongest healer, but have already been nerfed. I don't know the specifics since I dont really follow Pally mechanics, but there was a post about it on mmochamp. Since I haven't raided yet, I cant be certain, but I would not doubt if Druids are the most underpowered of the healers at this time.

Does anyone else think vash'jir looks crappy? I really liked how all the other new zones looked but I found vash'jir to look like shit. I feel like I have turned my videosettings down to low from ultra every time I go there, the water effects cuts down dramaticly on view distances but it does have any of the cool wavering light effects or stuff waving back and forth with the current that would make an underwater zone look awesome.

I got the fossil mount for archaeology and it looks pretty neat, I wish there were some flying mounts though as ground mounts are 90% useless now.

I think "harder" is not the best way to describe, but kinda. The main thing I found is that you basically have to change the way you play. The first few dungeons I ran while leveling (with 6k 80 gear and a few quest upgrades) was rough and extremely challenging because I was dropping rejuvs on everyone and spamming regrowth for my ToL, not using Tranq etc. That coupled with dps not focusing mobs, interrupting things, and standing in death made it very difficult. I was oom very quickly with no big heals to dish out fast.

I changed things up where I pretty much do this: Keep 3 stacks of LB on tank, Nourish to keep LB's on tank, if group is taking damage use WG, Nourish everyone keeping LB up on tank (can let it drop for burst if necessary), and using rejuv/regrowth/swiftmend if stuff gets a bit hectic. Using a clearcast for a regrowth+swiftmend is nice as well. Also, in hectic times, ToL plus rolling LB's on everyone is amazing, as well as Tranq. After this I had no issues healing successfully and my mana was never issue (aka I didnt have to drink every pull). It seems now the only times there is problems is if the DPS isnt on top of their game. Some of the group-wide damage is near unhealable, however it is avoidable.

Also, Paladins *were by far the strongest healer, but have already been nerfed. I don't know the specifics since I dont really follow Pally mechanics, but there was a post about it on mmochamp. Since I haven't raided yet, I cant be certain, but I would not doubt if Druids are the most underpowered of the healers at this time.

Ahh...very well explained. Debating whether to pick up a dual spec and heal some or remain a tank and just level my resto shaman.

Maybe its the fact that I'm on a bleeding edge progression server, but I don't see myself as being a glowing exception. We were the 43rd guild on the server to down LK in 25man. He was down months before the expansion. Pretty sure the 38th or even the 27th guild on the server to down him wouldn't consider themselves "hardcore."

The difference between bleeding edge progression servers and the average server used to be extreme.

During BC I played on a server that had at least a dozen guilds who had completed Black Temple, and another server where there was one guild (for both factions) who had completed Black Temple. My guess is the better servers attract a higher percent of quality players due to transfers and rerolls of people trying to get into better guilds.

Still plenty of idiots on all servers, but the standard of quality varies wildly.

The difference between bleeding edge progression servers and the average server used to be extreme.

During BC I played on a server that had at least a dozen guilds who had completed Black Temple, and another server where there was one guild (for both factions) who had completed Black Temple. My guess is the better servers attract a higher percent of quality players due to transfers and rerolls of people trying to get into better guilds.
QFT...similar experience.

Still plenty of idiots on all servers, but the standard of quality varies wildly.
Yup...However, I've noticed that the launch day servers tend to have a better quality player base. I also find PVP servers to have overall better quality players. Though I could have just been lucky on where I chose to play.

Ahh...very well explained. Debating whether to pick up a dual spec and heal some or remain a tank and just level my resto shaman.

I may be totally wrong here and too lazy to google it, but I think dualspec is uber cheap now. Might as well at least pick it up for kitty dps. You can try boomkin also which is pretty fun since they fixed Eclipse and added a spell that crits for more than Starfire (oh and and an interrupt/silence too!). Unless you have a massive interest in healing on your Druid, as I do, I would say to just heal on your shammy, you could level as ele/resto. (Nice 2 char combo, bear/kitty Druid and ele/resto Sham)

**bleh I googled it...lol....dualspec is 10g from your trainer. DO IT NAO!

QFT...similar experience.

Yup...However, I've noticed that the launch day servers tend to have a better quality player base. I also find PVP servers to have overall better quality players. Though I could have just been lucky on where I chose to play.

I have not really found any difference between pvp and normal servers for player quality. I have definitely seen a huge difference though in servers with lots of high end guilds, people tend to transfer to those servers hoping to get into one of the top world guilds and when they arn't accepted or don't have the time to continue playing in one they can find plenty of other
like minded people.

Not that it has any bearing on player skill, but I have found that the players on RP servers are nicer on the whole then on normal or PVP servers. Granted that could be limited across the 6 servers I have played across, but it was part of why I transferred back to silverhand after being on Mugthol, deathwing, laughing skull and a few other servers.

Sorta...reason being that many of the veteran players who really know their stuff may still be around, whereas newer servers tend to not have many long-time players (if many players at all).

As far as maturity goes, though, it's about the same. Even on my server (Kil'jaeden, one of the launch servers) there are trolls and idiots everywhere.

played pally yesterday for a little bit, did a couple heroics.

god DAMN i didnt think the nerf would affect me that much, but it has.

Its definately 'harder' than it was pre nerf, but it got considerably harder. with a good group im down to about half mana, and a bad group hovering around the bottom 10% of my mana bars on boss fights.

I suppose the nerf was necessary, and i LOVE a challenge when I heal, its the whole reason i chose to start healing. I do think its a little retarded with the mana differences between my different heals, I mean seriously? approx 10k mana for the aoe heal?

whatever though, its fun and enjoyable, especially when someone stands in shit and dies on a boss fight and you still manage to heal through the whole fight.

I mean seriously? approx 10k mana for the aoe heal?

whatever though, its fun and enjoyable, especially when someone stands in shit and dies on a boss fight and you still manage to heal through the whole fight.

^^ this. Definitely is a bit more annoying, as you can't "fix" stupid anymore as easily. It used to be that even people been retards in pugs you would still able to manage to keep every1 up, now I just keep people who aren't idiots up. You're an idiot and you stand deadly stuff, you die, you bitch? Too bad, l2p.

We used to have a shaman (this was almost 2 years ago now mind you, when I still played) she would on que stand in anything AOE on the ground, in the air, around her remotely, she'd always stand in it. On it, with it, dance on it, wave at it.

You get the idea.

We finally let her die consistently, then she sorta left the guild quietly one day.

you can't fix stupid.

I gave up on PUGS. As a tank, it's extremely frustrating to get in a group and be pushed by DPS that just wants you to fly through the instance and not CC. It just doesn't work anymore people!! gosh!

Now, I'm doing mostly guild groups or 3/5 o 4/5 guild groups. This way I get less frustrated.

I'll wait a few months until people learn to play again and then I'll do pugs. sigh.

I would honestly have to say that the worst server in WoW is Grizzly Hills. I have played on a lot of servers, and "the hills" is by far the worst server, hands down. Unfortunately I have all of my current toons there.../sigh

I have not really found any difference between pvp and normal servers for player quality. I have definitely seen a huge difference though in servers with lots of high end guilds, people tend to transfer to those servers hoping to get into one of the top world guilds and when they arn't accepted or don't have the time to continue playing in one they can find plenty of other
like minded people.

I've noticed a difference and still notice a difference now, though that difference is less than it used to be.

Sorta...reason being that many of the veteran players who really know their stuff may still be around, whereas newer servers tend to not have many long-time players (if many players at all).

As far as maturity goes, though, it's about the same. Even on my server (Kil'jaeden, one of the launch servers) there are trolls and idiots everywhere.

Good observations...yeah trolling and asshatery don't reflect on skill.

I gave up on PUGS. As a tank, it's extremely frustrating to get in a group and be pushed by DPS that just wants you to fly through the instance and not CC. It just doesn't work anymore people!! gosh!

Now, I'm doing mostly guild groups or 3/5 o 4/5 guild groups. This way I get less frustrated.

I'll wait a few months until people learn to play again and then I'll do pugs. sigh.

As a tank, you have a lot of commanding power at your disposal. You can just mark up the mobs you want CC'ed and make them CC before jumping in. As long as you know how they each function, it should be no prob.

I like pugs, the randomness of idiocy is fun to deal with! Also I don't mind dieing and I like learning and teaching zones to people.

As a former tank (now fury warrior) I know how much it sucks to be in one of those groups. I used to lead 40 mans back in the day and my main rule was do not pass the tank unless he asks you to do something. I still use that in 5 mans. In pugs theres way to many chiefs and not enough indians.

As a tank, you have a lot of commanding power at your disposal. You can just mark up the mobs you want CC'ed and make them CC before jumping in. As long as you know how they each function, it should be no prob.

Trust me, there's marking, there's polite demands of cc, there's discussion about how it's different now.. doesn't matter. Whatever I say or even other people that know what has to be done say, there's always a couple that just won't listen.

I dunno, maybe I've just been extremely unlucky with my groups.

The most imbalanced server i've ever found. I have a lowbie undead warlock there. I'd hate to see what the queue times are now.

I started out as alliance on Mal'ganis when the game first came out. Eventually started on a different server with some friends, and at one point tried to go back to my chars on Mal'ganis, goddamn that server is horrible. There's gotta be 15 horde to every ally.

Started Cata last night, got up to level 82, I was not expecting the insane scaling of XP/level.

80-81 was 1.6M
81-82 was 2.1M
82-83 is 4.0M

Don't even want to know how much higher it goes from here.

archeology iss soo boring good thing I can post on here while I fly to sites.

I started out as alliance on Mal'ganis when the game first came out. Eventually started on a different server with some friends, and at one point tried to go back to my chars on Mal'ganis, goddamn that server is horrible. There's gotta be 15 horde to every ally.

Started Cata last night, got up to level 82, I was not expecting the insane scaling of XP/level.

80-81 was 1.6M
81-82 was 2.1M
82-83 is 4.0M

Don't even want to know how much higher it goes from here.

well..... 84-85 is about 9M or so. :)

You get tons of xp per quest completed, but yeah.. lot of questing!

The most imbalanced server i've ever found. I have a lowbie undead warlock there. I'd hate to see what the queue times are now.

It's pretty wait-tastic.

Despite the free transfer off option it's never the Horde side that leaves, just the Ally that get fed up with queue times and imbalances which makes it worse. Don't believe what you hear; that taking your Horde character to MG will make you leet. And yes I realize somebody in the thread was simply telling another that their guild was laid back. :)

That being said, it's sure fun to PvP with insta-queues and heroics are now serious business.

Back