Official Team Fortress 2 Thread

Keep distance? Use the conveniently placed water on maps?
And you would recommend doing this how? Because I don't think even hardcore players would be able to memorize levels to the point where they can run through the entire thing backwards, without looking. I can't tell you how many time that's happened to me, and how many times I've seen it happen to teammates; 2 or 3 pyros rushing through a choke point, so everybody backs up but still tries to shoot them. Teammate get stuck on some random stupid object like a support for a wall, pyro catches up, teammate is dead in less than 3 seconds. Or, MAYBE they kill the pyro and survive for another 5 seconds, and then die. Either way, it's still ridiculously lame. The pyros are overpowered to the point where 3 of them running together the right way can break the entire check and balance system of the game.

i really dont think the pyros are over powered they die pretty fast, called get some medics behind you healing and hit them with some rockets they will die pretty fast espically since they would be bumping in to each other trying to dodge.

without a good medic a pyro cant really rush offensively. but today for example i had a good medic, and within a matter of 30 seconds i took out 6 or 7 players desperately trying to save their final cp. :D

yeah the medic i think is the best unit in the game :) you can usually help with the rush if people dont take me out as a medic lol. Pyros and heavys with medics own everything

The pyros are overpowered to the point where 3 of them running together the right way can break the entire check and balance system of the game.

One direct hit from a soldier RPG = instakill for the Pyro - even at 200 health! And with a cluster of 3 pyros, you'll have no trouble picking a couple of them off.

Okay, I found the [H] Steam Community page, but it says by invite only. Will someone send me an invite? My username on steam is - you guessed it - "Axdrenalin"

Ax

And you would recommend doing this how? Because I don't think even hardcore players would be able to memorize levels to the point where they can run through the entire thing backwards, without looking. I can't tell you how many time that's happened to me, and how many times I've seen it happen to teammates; 2 or 3 pyros rushing through a choke point, so everybody backs up but still tries to shoot them. Teammate get stuck on some random stupid object like a support for a wall, pyro catches up, teammate is dead in less than 3 seconds. Or, MAYBE they kill the pyro and survive for another 5 seconds, and then die. Either way, it's still ridiculously lame. The pyros are overpowered to the point where 3 of them running together the right way can break the entire check and balance system of the game.

You can put out the flames by jumping into water, finding a health pack, or getting a medic to heal you. On top of that, they go out by themselves if you don't let the Pyro keep flaming you.

The Pyro isn't overpowered at all. In fact, everything I've heard you bitch about so far has made you seem like you don't understand the game and that you probably just totally suck at it.

Go play Counter-strike or something.

The Pyro isn't overpowered at all. In fact, everything I've heard you bitch about so far has made you seem like you don't understand the game and that you probably just totally suck at it.

Hey, everyone starts out as a "n00b" at some point, but there's no need to be an ass about it. Not a real good way to invite newish players to the game.

I think the Pyros are well balanced now, people fear the flame now which is good, they should fear it, thats the whole point, it makes you retreat and panic, providing you leg it you usually stay safe.

I do however think the health of the Pyro is a little high, direct rocket hits dont seem to kill him and it often takes 3+ hits to their feet to kill them with a soldier, I think their health should be 150 instead of 175

They now just need to buff the HWG in the same way, people shouldn't be bunny hopping around the HWG, they should be running for their lives, it's the whole point of the character, his gun doesn't do nearly as much damage up close as it should do.

The classes are nice and balanced now IMO. I just hope that with the official release, they will unlock the higher res textures and add some new maps shortly after.

They now just need to buff the HWG in the same way, people shouldn't be bunny hopping around the HWG, they should be running for their lives, it's the whole point of the character, his gun doesn't do nearly as much damage up close as it should do.

I've never understood this sentiment. Whenever I play HWG, I mow down anything even remotely close to me. Being able to bunny-hop around someone seems more like a testament to their shitty mouse setup and slow reflexes. I find the HWG to be balanced just fine.

His obvious weakness is medium to long range - especially against Soldiers and Snipers.

I'd have to agree that the pyro is (finally) fixed now. I went medic with a good pyro this weekend on gravelpit. Let me tell you, an uber'ed pyro is a BEAST. I had so many assists because I'd pop uber and we'd just bumrush a group and light them all of fire. It was tons of fun.

Did you ever play TFC?

People feared the HWG, when he charged his gun and you could hear it spinning up peoples first thought was to get the flock out of there.

Now I can take down the majorety of HWG with practically any class execpt for maybe the medic.
  • Scouts completely own HWG's in fact I've batted to death most of the ones I've come across, I don't fear HWG as a scout, that's totaly backwards...
  • Pyro can run rings around them and due to their slow move speed and the new uberdeath from point blank flames HWG is dead if ambushed by a Pyro
  • Engineer turrets push back the HWG too much and so he can't get close for his gun to be effective, it takes an ubermedic/HWG combo to take out turrets
  • Snipers 1 hit kill to the had
  • Spys 1 hit kill to the back
  • Soliders can kill by popping out of cover, firing, poping back in, rise and repeat.
  • Demoman (see soldier) but also have the ability to indirect fire over obstacles and around corners
  • Medic is dead against a HWG most of the time, but you could say that about medic vs any other class

The HWG becomes quite a foe when powered by a medic but thats 2 classes not one. A HWG on his own is not powerful enough for how slow he is, when he's firing his gun at close to med range at say a scout, the scout shouldn't be able to get past his point of view, a quick blast should take the scout down, but it's just not the case, even when aiming directly over them the gun just doesn't have a high enough DPS to kill things before they're back into cover. This effect is only exaggerated by the fact that it takes ages for a HWG to run from the spawn to the front line.

• Scouts completely own HWG's in fact I've batted to death most of the ones I've come across, I don't fear HWG as a scout, that's totaly backwards...
  • Pyro can run rings around them and due to their slow move speed and the new uberdeath from point blank flames HWG is dead if ambushed by a Pyro
  • Engineer turrets push back the HWG too much and so he can't get close for his gun to be effective, it takes an ubermedic/HWG combo to take out turrets
  • Snipers 1 hit kill to the had
  • Spys 1 hit kill to the back
  • Soliders can kill by popping out of cover, firing, poping back in, rise and repeat.
  • Demoman (see soldier) but also have the ability to indirect fire over obstacles and around corners
  • Medic is dead against a HWG most of the time, but you could say that about medic vs any other class

I don't know, I guess my experiences from playing as a HWG tend to be a little different. And yes, I'm talking 1v1, sans Medic. Anything in relatively close range to me will usually end up dead.

Scouts? I have no problem tracking them, and when they see me they usually do run.

Pyros? If they can get the drop on me somehow, then yeah, they'll do some damage. Either he'll die and I'm badly hurt, or we'll double-kill each other.

Turrets? Yeah, that knock-back is complete bullshit and usually prevents any HWG from taking out a sentry at medium range. Sentry guns need to be addressed by Valve.

Sniper? I'm okay with a one-shot kill from them. Snipers are kinda worthless anyways as far as I'm concerned. Keeping Heavy's in check is a good role for them.

Spies? If one is smart enough to actually maneuver in right behind me, then yeah... I guess a one-shot kill is fine. Same as every other class. =( But seeing as how Heavy's are usually thier number one target, I'm typically pretty cautious.

Soldiers are probably my #1 nemesis as HWG. Spinning up the gun just makes you a sitting duck for their rockets. At medium range, I obviously won't spin up. Instead I'll just dance around his rockets for a bit, then once he goes into his reload phase I'll try to get some damage on him. If it ends up being sort of a 'stalemate', I'll just retreat from the fight. Or if we're in close and there are a lot of hallways and cover, and fast Soldier will be tough to kill.

Same with Demoman, except the Demoman is probably even worse at range.

The HWG is slow, for sure, but he's still able to dodge indirect fire just fine. I think that most players forget that, and they feel that the instant they see an enemy, they need to start spinning up. Pick your fights a little better and know when to lay down the lead. Works well enough for me.

Yeah I never had a problem with a heavy, I think most people playing them are new players and don't know how to look around... I mean I've been a medic for some heavies who are brain dead or only half awake, as I seem to tie them for kills when they fail to check a hallway or don't bother turning around at all but just go straight for their "goal"... so it leaves me having to defend myself with the needle gun (good weapon btw, once you are used to its slow fire / arc) or saw.

As a heavy, I have no problem mowing down scouts or demos. Yes, Snipers will pwn you, but they are supposed to if you are at long range. Big, slow moving people are their bread and butter kills. Eng's sentry knockback definitely sucks, as it doesn't allow you to move to and from hallways / cover, so hopefully they will tone that down a bit. Soldier is a toss-up, you can avoid a few rockets, but a good soldier will usually win (though be hurt badly). Pyros is death for both people a lot of the time, assuming they get a jump on you, med range you can kill them first.. short range you might die first but they will be hurting bad.

You can put out the flames by jumping into water, finding a health pack, or getting a medic to heal you. On top of that, they go out by themselves if you don't let the Pyro keep flaming you.

Golly, I didn't think about the health packs! I'd forgotten that they were scattered literally every 3 feet. I practically can't strafe without running into 5 health packs. I'd also forgotten about the abundance of water in the maps, the majority of which take place in the fucking desert. I mean, I'm practically submerged in water the entire game! I will be sure to remember to just be calm about the fact that I am aflame and losing 5 hp every half second, resting assured that the medic building his ubercharge on a heavy who is currently trying to kill a sniper from 200 yards away will eventually heal me to perfection. And shucks, your Counter-Strike recommendation is real tempting, but I'm already, like, the best CS player in the world. I used to have a clan in CAL-O! Have you heard of it? We were really good. People say CAL-I is better but I think CAL-O takes more skill, and O also comes after I in the alphabet, so I think CAL-O is definitely better.

Or I can just stop deluding myself into thinking that I will run into intelligent people in multiplayer internet games as opposed to your ilk, the OMGWTF WHY R U RUHSING B THATZ WRONG GO A GO A kind.

Golly, I didn't think about the health packs! I'd forgotten that they were scattered literally every 3 feet. I practically can't strafe without running into 5 health packs. I'd also forgotten about the abundance of water in the maps, the majority of which take place in the fucking desert. I mean, I'm practically submerged in water the entire game! I will be sure to remember to just be calm about the fact that I am aflame and losing 5 hp every half second, resting assured that the medic building his ubercharge on a heavy who is currently trying to kill a sniper from 200 yards away will eventually heal me to perfection. And shucks, your Counter-Strike recommendation is real tempting, but I'm already, like, the best CS player in the world. I used to have a clan in CAL-O! Have you heard of it? We were really good. People say CAL-I is better but I think CAL-O takes more skill, and O also comes after I in the alphabet, so I think CAL-O is definitely better.

Or I can just stop deluding myself into thinking that I will run into intelligent people in multiplayer internet games as opposed to your ilk, the OMGWTF WHY R U RUHSING B THATZ WRONG GO A GO A kind.

Health packs are literally every few feet in the bottlenecks that you should be defending anyway. If you go out into enemy territory, you can't expect an easy reprieve from Pyros. Either that or your team's engineers suck and aren't deploying dispensers everywhere needed.

Starting to hate Pyros a bit - playing as them's fine, but the number of times i've come across some cheap mongol sitting outside the sliding spawn doors with a medic, just toasting people the second they try and actually enter the game is filthy and boring.

Not to mention they just roast everyone they see, testing for spies, which makes playing as one a little difficult. A little friendly-fire would help this - after all, if someone's being an awful spy, you can tell and kill them. No worries about team damage. If someone's being a good spy but gets raped by chance simply because common practice is to shoot absolutely everything, there's no reward.

Disguise yourself and then hit it from behind.
That's what she said?

Sorry.

Wally, I feel your pain. It's slightly less important for everything but pyro; there've actually been a few times where I'm disguised as an enemy and an engineer will shoot me a couple times to test...part of the test is to not react by running away. Having not killed me (but bringing me down to like 20 hp) he'll continue on his way, then I'll stab him in the back and get an enemy medic to heal me. But there's still the pyros who can just go around spamming everything; if you're cloaked they can see you, if you're disguised they know to shoot the teammate on fire. I never saw a server with FF on, though.

thought pyros only had 175 hp, not really sure i just run around and start people on fire

FF is forced off because it breaks the gameplay, also in the patch notes. I have had my turret kill me a few times though when someone comes up from behind me and the turret tries to kill them :p

FF is forced off because it breaks the gameplay, also in the patch notes. I have had my turret kill me a few times though when someone comes up from behind me and the turret tries to kill them :p
The turret kills are due to the mechanic that your own weapons can still harm you. It's the same reason that a rocket jump harms a soldier or walking over your own grenades kills you as a demo. The SG is treated as an extension of yourself, despite the fact that it's essentially an autonomous unit.

That said, I've done the same thing and it's pretty funny.

The turret kills are due to the mechanic that your own weapons can still harm you. It's the same reason that a rocket jump harms a soldier or walking over your own grenades kills you as a demo. The SG is treated as an extension of yourself, despite the fact that it's essentially an autonomous unit.

That said, I've done the same thing and it's pretty funny.

Oh yeah I know thats how it works, sucks though! But imagine if your turrets would kill friendlies, or demo / heavy spray hurt teammates, or pyros who shoot first and mumble questions later... bleh.

Edit: In most games I like FF on, but it just doesn't work right with TF2's playstyle and craziness while depending on teammates to survive/win.

Oh yeah I know thats how it works, sucks though! But imagine if your turrets would kill friendlies, or demo / heavy spray hurt teammates, or pyros who shoot first and mumble questions later... bleh.

Edit: In most games I like FF on, but it just doesn't work right with TF2's playstyle and craziness while depending on teammates to survive/win.

That's how it happens in Fotress Forever... spies hack turrets after which they attack friendlies and shortly self destruct, giving kills to the spy. I take it in TF2 the spy just temporarily disables the SG?

I think it could work if implimented correctly, personally I like reverse FF, you go around blasting everyone on the spy hunt you end up killing yourself, (least it used to work that way in TFC). ;)

this would force people to have a more descriminate fire patern, (and keep pyro's from nuking everything that moved.)

Honestly, I couldn't care less if people who deleted the game after an hour of play feel "invited",

Well see that's the problem with folks like you, and that's why some people probably do delete a game after a short while, since there is a learning curve to any game which can be tough enough for some, then dealing with asinine players on top of that can really be a turn-off.

I think any new release is looking to invite as many to the game as possible, not alienate them.

Take a chill, MC.

Played again for a bit tonight, as every class. 80% of my deaths were from Pyros. Big, spamming gangs of them, plastering every visible surface with fire. The trouble is that, although many classes can technically take them down quickly, in reality it's easier said than done. They can easily weave to avoid rockets, the Demoman's only any good against them if they run into a cluster of pre-prepared sticky things, and for everything else you know you could kill them except for the fact that the instant you get a lick of flame you have to piss off and find some health so you don't die.

It's getting a bit silly.

when i see one, i think they are easy to kill, no matter what class i am, unless im also a pyro, and in that case i bust out my shotgun, and kill them

Well see that's the problem with folks like you, and that's why some people probably do delete a game after a short while, since there is a learning curve to any game which can be tough enough for some, then dealing with asinine players on top of that can really be a turn-off.

I think any new release is looking to invite as many to the game as possible, not alienate them.

Take a chill, MC.

If you want to continue to start shit with me, you better bring more to the table than this.

For the record, 99% of the time I'm courteous and respectful to people in game, as long as they're the same to me. I'm usually the first person to help out a new player, and if someone asks how to do something I always give them a hand.

What I don't care for are people who come into threads and moan about a game, saying things like "LOL I deleted it after an hour" or "nerf Scout pl0x". I find them to be self-important jerks who continually start arguments with people over trivial bullshit.

So excuse me if I don't take kindly to someone badmouthing a game after playing for an hour and deleting it. If you want to defend someone like that, be my guest.

I find that there are a lot of pyros at this point in the game because people want to play them! They weren't able to before, and now that they are a playable class people rush to get them.

It will even out, give it time.

Can any of the admins in the [H] Steam rooms setup an event via the Steam community control panel. So we can get some team based action going on sometime this week? Calebb? Northbridge? Bueller?

Played again for a bit tonight, as every class. 80% of my deaths were from Pyros. Big, spamming gangs of them, plastering every visible surface with fire. The trouble is that, although many classes can technically take them down quickly, in reality it's easier said than done. They can easily weave to avoid rockets, the Demoman's only any good against them if they run into a cluster of pre-prepared sticky things, and for everything else you know you could kill them except for the fact that the instant you get a lick of flame you have to piss off and find some health so you don't die.

It's getting a bit silly.

I sometimes set traps as the demo man, 4 stickies on a wall somewhere, if you meet a large force that's way too strong for you, retreating while shooting normal grenades and when they pass your safety area nuke em all in one hit.

Soliders should be shooting rockets at their feet, if done right in front of them it helps impeed movement as well which helps.

i love this game, but it seems everything is too big even though my resoultion is quite high and there is no radar my main gripe

If you want to continue to start shit with me, you better bring more to the table than this.

For the record, 99% of the time I'm courteous and respectful to people in game, as long as they're the same to me. I'm usually the first person to help out a new player, and if someone asks how to do something I always give them a hand.

What I don't care for are people who come into threads and moan about a game, saying things like "LOL I deleted it after an hour" or "nerf Scout pl0x". I find them to be self-important jerks who continually start arguments with people over trivial bullshit.

So excuse me if I don't take kindly to someone badmouthing a game after playing for an hour and deleting it. If you want to defend someone like that, be my guest.
So far as I recall, I didn't come across like that by saying it wasn't my thing. I didn't insult people who like it. I didn't say, "I'm better than this game and the people who play it." In fact, I just re-read it, and I still don't think I came across like that. If so, I apologize, it was not my intent.

However, you were the one who responded as though you have good posture because you have to, lest you hunch over slightly and the stick wedged in your ass break your back. Aztec hasn't even been flaming you, he's just politely suggesting that maybe you be slightly more helpful...and then you accuse him of starting fights? Dude, I acknowledge that I don't necessarily prompt a warm reception, but you're just insulting people for the sake of insulting them.

Back