Official Team Fortress 2 Thread

After playing again tonight I've come to the conclusion that due to the power of the demo man the soldier is basically now redundant, the demo man is so much better than the solider at pretty much everything.

Solider is just effing useless, the rockets dont pack enough of a punch to even kill a scout if you hit the rocket right at their feet and send them flying.

The HWG is nearly as bad, he's too much of a target which means when he gets going everyone targets him and he goes down fast.

I'm just really pissed off and fed up after tonights games, especially on 2fort, I dont feel like playing TF2 at all now, sigh...

Soldier is a match against the demoman. it helps being a former quaker, but at medium to long range, soldier definately wins against a demo man. even up close the rocket is more likely to cause damage due to the nature of it. but the soldier can snipe with the rocket, and could even be considered a support class by sending a stream of rockets. demoman has limited range.

The soldier is 200% more effective when he has the high ground. On 2fort I rocket jump to the bridge thing and once I'm up there if the snipers come out they get a rocket in their face. if people come down below its easy to rocket them. sometimes the people come outside and go under me, then I'd shoot through the gaps in the boards and theres really nothing they can do.

The only problem is that you use about a third of your own health to do it.

It depends on the jump. I started using this in real games and have been able to kill a couple people while flying over them and then make it back to a health pack without dying. Once I'm at full health, I just do it again. It's a blast. I'll make another video showing it in a real game soon.

lol i cant buy the orange box. when i click pre purchase it takes me to a screen asking if i have steam installed, even thought steam is already open. then if i click yes i have steam nothing happens, "error on page" bottom left."

I'm getting jerkiness every now and then. I notice it a lot when running and someone next to me jerks and spasms while running as well. Also, the same thing happens when firing some guns. The screen jerks really bad.

Anyone else getting this, or even better, anyone know how to fix?

Latest drivers, etc.

Here's an interesting bug I found tonight. When you're a spy you can set the zapper on sentrys through walls. Works great in 2fort on those ones close to the wall. The engineers go crazy and just keep repairing having no idea what's going on. I just clicked like crazy and probably placed 20 or so on one sentry before the engineers finally stumbled upon me behind the wall. Hopefully this gets fixed but for now, it's a great way to take down those sentrys.

After playing again tonight I've come to the conclusion that due to the power of the demo man the soldier is basically now redundant, the demo man is so much better than the solider at pretty much everything.

Solider is just effing useless, the rockets dont pack enough of a punch to even kill a scout if you hit the rocket right at their feet and send them flying.

The HWG is nearly as bad, he's too much of a target which means when he gets going everyone targets him and he goes down fast.

I'm just really pissed off and fed up after tonights games, especially on 2fort, I dont feel like playing TF2 at all now, sigh...

I disagree. Soldier is not useless. It has much more range (almost unlimited) than the demoman which means it is better for supressing enemy fire, especially snipers. You can bombard someone from accross the map. The rocket also does huge splash damage to the lighter classes and has larger splash damage radius than the demoman's pipes. Soldier is my favorite class. His attack is simplistic but it does take skill.

The rockets pack a serious punch but when you fire at someone's feet you are basically doing splash damage and I think for balance purposes it is better that you can't take down a scout with a single shot to the feet. A direct hit will usually splatter them. It take skill.

I can take down almost any demoman with the soldier, although in some situations the demoman does have an advantage. Demoman is an awesome class to be sure, but he in no way renders the soldier useless.

Not to mention the fact that the soldier is just plain fun to use.

I'm getting jerkiness every now and then. I notice it a lot when running and someone next to me jerks and spasms while running as well. Also, the same thing happens when firing some guns. The screen jerks really bad.

Anyone else getting this, or even better, anyone know how to fix?

Latest drivers, etc.

I think it is server related. I was getting it on some servers tonight, I switched servers and it disappears.

I did notice more lag tonight than usual accross the board.

Well running down the bridge alone as a HWG is basically why many feels he is weak... without adequate healing while moving towards the enemy, the HWG is of course the main target. A HWG positioned in the right area on defense however can sometimes be more effective, especially with the opposite team running a busy offense.

Well, you guys made me buy The Orange Box. Thank you sooo much TF2 is a blast to play. I've been on for about 6hrs today :eek::)

Here's a little video I made today of Demoman sticky-bomb jumping. I don't see anyone else doing it, but I'm sure it will be common very soon.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sXNloamvcoM

I thought the soldier's rocket jump would be that effective but he doesn't go very high. Am I not doing it right or something? It almost seems like there isn't a rocket jump.

Also, I think the problem with the Heavy guy is that his minigun's effective range and firing pattern is too much like a shotgun. If a someone gets close to a heavy and he opens up on them they are going down fast, but from a distance the Heavy's firing pattern spreads out and because each individual round doesn't do that much damage, he winds up being only truely effective as an infighter. He is simply outranged by almost all of the other classes. If the bullet pattern was just a bit more concentrated he would be a lot more effective. Obviously he should be less effective at a distance, but I think they need to tweak him just a bit.

If you see me in game, say hello. I go by Snooze and spend most of my time on 2fort. :)

I thought the soldier's rocket jump would be that effective but he doesn't go very high. Am I not doing it right or something? It almost seems like there isn't a rocket jump.

Also, I think the problem with the Heavy guy is that his minigun's effective range and firing pattern is too much like a shotgun. If a someone gets close to a heavy and he opens up on them they are going down fast, but from a distance the Heavy's firing pattern spreads out and because each individual round doesn't do that much damage, he winds up being only truely effective as an infighter. He is simply outranged by almost all of the other classes. If the bullet pattern was just a bit more concentrated he would be a lot more effective. Obviously he should be less effective at a distance, but I think they need to tweak him just a bit.

Rocket jumping works just fine, shoot and fire at the same time. Heavies are fine, I mow people down all the time, its quite hilarious. If you don't have a medic don't expect to succeed on offense, this game is about teamwork. Don't try to "snipe" with the heavy, that's what the sniper is for, and you will do just fine getting kills.

Don't try to "snipe" with the heavy, that's what the sniper is for, and you will do just fine getting kills.

I said I didn't think his effective range was long enough. I did not say he should have the effective range of a sniper.

Is anyone else having issues with alt+tabbing out of the game? Every time I've done it, it won't maximize again and I have to kill the program and restart it. I know it's happening to a friend of mine, but I have the voip key bound to alt so if I'm talking and check the score, I screw myself.

not sure if it has been mentioned but i had a pretty funny moment this morning playing the scout. A spy was disguised as a scout and when my mouse went over him, it showed my name. So i knew somethin was up. Sure enough he was trying to get me.

Is anyone else having issues with alt+tabbing out of the game? Every time I've done it, it won't maximize again and I have to kill the program and restart it. I know it's happening to a friend of mine, but I have the voip key bound to alt so if I'm talking and check the score, I screw myself.

Yeah If I alt-tab I can't successfully restore the game either, I need to quit the program.

Map it to something else or just get used to it.

So, I saw the "tip" that you can cast grenades longer if you hold down the fire button? But that doesnt really work does it?

does anyone know?

i FINALY got past the black screen when loading the game, but now the game cant find ANY servers, it just says refreshing for like 10 hours. wtf?????

i FINALY got past the black screen when loading the game, but now the game cant find ANY servers, it just says refreshing for like 10 hours. wtf?????

Mine does that too. Just stop the refresh, then re-refresh. Servers should come up then.

not sure if it has been mentioned but i had a pretty funny moment this morning playing the scout. A spy was disguised as a scout and when my mouse went over him, it showed my name. So i knew somethin was up. Sure enough he was trying to get me.

Yeah, that happened to me last night. My brother was watching me play, saw a guy using the same character and name as me. "Wait a minute...this doesn't look right" He went right by me and ended up capturing the point.

That's why communication is so important, so you can let everyone else know right away what is up.

gosh i know this is a major problem but i have not been playing since launch so is there a fix for the looping sound crash? it crashes either instantly or after a few minutes. ive tried running no AA , windowed, no sound etc...

I need 2 questions answered pls.

1. is there a cap of fps in the game? And how would i disable it for more fps?

2. I'm using a X-fi extreme gamer card for my sound. While in game ill try to set the setting to headphones, but after i hit apply, and ok and go back into audio settings my headphone option has turned back into 2 speaker mode. How do i fix this?

Thanks

I need 2 questions answered pls.

1. is there a cap of fps in the game? And how would i disable it for more fps?

2. I'm using a X-fi extreme gamer card for my sound. While in game ill try to set the setting to headphones, but after i hit apply, and ok and go back into audio settings my headphone option has turned back into 2 speaker mode. How do i fix this?

Thanks

Not sure about number 2, but for number 1 you can type the following into the console (activated by hitting ~):

fps_max <number>

Yeah, that happened to me last night. My brother was watching me play, saw a guy using the same character and name as me. "Wait a minute...this doesn't look right" He went right by me and ended up capturing the point.

That would be annoying as hell. I would have thought it would pick a random name on the enemy team to give the spies a chance?

That would be annoying as hell. I would have thought it would pick a random name on the enemy team to give the spies a chance?

It gives spy's the same name as someone else using that class on your team.

Eg, if there are two scouts, "Bob" & "Joe" on your team, a spy from the opposite team will be assigned either "Bob" or "Joe" if they disguise as a scout.

So basically, as a spy you don't want to try to kill the same class you are disguised as, because there is a good chance you have their name and they will know something is up :p

gosh i know this is a major problem but i have not been playing since launch so is there a fix for the looping sound crash? it crashes either instantly or after a few minutes. ive tried running no AA , windowed, no sound etc...

underclock. this was happening to me, and not any other game, and underclocking some mhz helped.

I just bought the pre-order and i'm downloading TF2, i'm assuming thats what i need to play the demo. would it go any faster if i installed HL2 from the CDs first? it needs to D/L around 7GB i think and i'm only on dsl.

Well running down the bridge alone as a HWG is basically why many feels he is weak... without adequate healing while moving towards the enemy, the HWG is of course the main target. A HWG positioned in the right area on defense however can sometimes be more effective, especially with the opposite team running a busy offense.

They are extremely susceptible to spies.

http://home.comcast.net/~krameriffic/onlinestorage/cp_well0000.jpg

That was mostly from offing heavy-medic pairs.

black_b[ ]x;1031456353 said:
I just bought the pre-order and i'm downloading TF2, i'm assuming thats what i need to play the demo. would it go any faster if i installed HL2 from the CDs first? it needs to D/L around 7GB i think and i'm only on dsl.

Yes, any Source games you have on CD, the game will use files from those, drastically cutting down the amount you have to download.

If you have every Source game to date, I believe you only need to download like 1GB or something.

On occasion I can alt-tab with no trouble, though sometimes it takes an unbearably long time to switch back to TF2.
Other times yes, the game freezes & I have to end-task.

Lame.. I was just having a blast and kicking some butt with actual good teams for a chance.. and I hit the windows key <.<

Hopefully they will fix alt-tabing / minimizing. Steam itself has seemed pretty flaky lately though.

I'd have to say, I really enjoy the scout, the movement is awesome, great for flanking people. Had a 13 kill streak while defending a point solo, then finally got taken out by another scout heh.

I love the DOMINATING / REVENGE thing it has going too.

Now to find a server again :D

Do any of you guys have the problem where the columns in the server browser, when you first start the game, are all scrunched together you have to manually separate each one so you can see the server names, pings, ect? This happens in all my steam online games.

Do any of you guys have the problem where the columns in the server browser, when you first start the game, are all scrunched together you have to manually separate each one so you can see the server names, pings, ect? This happens in all my steam online games.

Yep, started happening 2 days ago or so.

This has been happening to me to the last couple years. :(

Back