*Official* Quad Core Overclock Thread

3600occt145vbd0.jpg

I am stable at 3700 now, but am going to wait for a larger power supply to go up to 3700+.

3600 @ 1.45V

3700 @ 1.48V

3700+ Will come after a new PSU.

The temperature are so extremely low it is heavenly. I am on H20 though, so temps are so far a non-determining factor.

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/2605/3600occt145vbd0.jpg

I am stable at 3700 now, but am going to wait for a larger power supply to go up to 3700+.

3600 @ 1.45V

3700 @ 1.48V

3700+ Will come after a new PSU.

The temperature are so extremely low it is heavenly. I am on H20 though, so temps are so far a non-determining factor.
All the other threads say you should add 15*C to SpeedFan's numbers. Thus, you're approaching 60*C.

-bZj

All the other threads say you should add 15*C to SpeedFan's numbers. Thus, you're approaching 60*C.

You have to add 15C to SpeedFan's temperature numbers but his post shows he is using CoreTemp 0.95 which correctly assumes a maximum junction temperature of 100C. His core temperatures are 100% right, as is, and no correction is necessary.

96redformula: If you do a CTRL+ALT+DELETE while running OCCT does it show that it is running all 4 cores at 100% load?

Could you also do a 1M PI test for me please?

Would apriciate it much.

Another great post Q6600 3.780 - 3.744 Prime Stable!!!
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1212009

3600 - 1.45V is realy need that's exactly what I have now running 3.51GHz

Since the Q6600 are in fact 2x E6600 it is interesting to compare.

When I run 3600 with my E6600 had 1.47 - 1.5 V.

Can't wait to see you guys OC the Q6600 even more.

I would suspect that the OC of the Q6600 ends a little lower than the E6600 cause of the structure of the CPU and the Mobo wich has to deal with the quadcore.

These CPU's are capable of sustaining much more heat so don't be afraid to crank up the voltage.

Don't forget to adjust the memory voltage when it gets unstable.

This is a known issue- almost all of the first-revision 680's were crap for quads (AR and TR- it's not a question of cost-cutting, but rather of being an early adopter). Set up an RMA with eVGA, they will replace it with a T1 revision. You'll get much better results.

No, they won't replace the NF63 TR version with a T1. Only the NF68 TR version. I have to get a new MB and this one is only like 2 months old. last time I'll listen to anything EVGA says.

I wish NewEgg would have had that warning. Even EVGA CS didn't warn me when I called to ask the difference. All they said the difference was, was what it comes with.

I'll post some screenies when i get home, but here are my results.

Q6600 G0 @3.45Ghz - 431x8 - 45idle/62load
EVGA 680i SLI
OCZ System Elite PC6400 @ 862

Prime95 has been running for 8 hours stable (called home to make sure)
my superpi score was 15s. i dont have the mod that shows ms though.

if you notice, nvmonitor and coretemp are saying im running at 3881mhz, but cpu-z and my bios read 3450mhz. it didnt do that before this speed. anyone else get this ?

I think that proves its stable.

I'll update my post in the OC database thread once I get through ORTHOS tonight. So far I've gotten my Q6600 to 3.15 GHz (9x350) @ ~1.225 Vcore. Got to 3.37 GHZ (9x375) with ~1.4 Vcore but I wanted to get the voltage and temperatures as low as possible. Currently doing 40 C idle 55 C load.

With a new full custom build from Overdrive PC, (that is not one of their standard productized builds), the final OC is set after they test the stability of the build. I got one of their first quad core machines.

I also just got a BIOS update and the OC is now 3.4GHz on air. The reason I posted is just as a data point that OPC will warranty the machine even though the core temps are high at full loads it. Some folks on this forum worry about frying the quad cores at temps that are my workday averages (68C).

With XP it has been rock solid since I got it about 4 months ago.

I'm curious how far you guys will get and retain stability.

I dont have any screenshots but i only did a simple OC on the quadcore

Q6600 (G0): OC @ 3ghz (stock voltage: 1.25v)
Gigabyte 965-DS3 (F12 Bios)
Thermalright SI-120
OCZ GamerXtreme 700w

Temps: 35C Idle / 50C Load (get similar temp at stock speed 2.4ghz)

Orthos (2 instances) stable for 3hrs+

SuperPI: 17s (1M)

will post screenshot next time when i have more time :D

i just installed a thermalright ultra 120 extreme with shin-etsu paste.

my ninja was a POS compared to this cooler.

my load temps with the ninja were hitting 69/71 @ 3.4ghz with the same volts as my loads now @ 3.42ghz being 10c less at 61/59. ambient temps have been more or less the same, high 70F in the room, and humid.

i benched this at 3.5 for 15 minutes but i gotta goto bed its late eastern time and worky in the mornin.

i expect to be stable close to 3.6 or higher but ill run this 24/7 at 3.42 since my idle is nice and 61 load is dandy with me since real world usage will never get there - and provide an updated OC after hours of prime stable on my high oc.

with both coolers i ran an antec tri-cool mounted on them on high (due to summer) but i will try medium with this ultra.

in fall/winter i run the fans on medium or low.

I have a B3 chip and a IP35 Pro that I picked up over the weekend at Frys. My B3 will run at 3.3 Ghz but my power supply (Antec True Control 550) starts getting too hot according to uGuru (over 80 degrees C) with 1.45v running 4x Prime. I am using a Big Typhoon and hovers around 58 degrees under full load.

I had to back down to 3200 for 24X7 and I am very happy with performance. Only needs 1.42 v, and my power supply seems to be ok (<80).

This is the first ABIT board I have owned since I had a celeron 300a and it is a superb product. :D

I got a q6600, but unfortunelly is a b3 with 1.3250 vid. I'm running orthos right now with 3.0 GHZ with 1.30v vcore. I have a tuniq cooler, right now max core is 58ºC.
I have a 680i A1 P30 bios, and I had to raise the fsb voltage to 1.4v and spp voltage to 1.3v for stability. I had a E6600 also overclocked to 3.0GHZ and I don't change any of those values.
People with 680i be warned of that :)

Which is better for stability and temps?

(375 x 9) or (425 x 8)?

Also, I'm not sure what to do about the ram settings..

I have it set at 2.175v @ 5 5 5 18 right now.

Currently, im running and testing prime95 on 400 x 8 @ 1.37 volts @ those ram settings.

First overclock the cpu and leave the ram alone. When you find your max move to the ram. It's safer that way.

First overclock the cpu and leave the ram alone. When you find your max move to the ram. It's safer that way.

So I should leave the ram settings the way they are and just focus solely on cpu?

In that case, would (375 x 9) produce lower temps/better stability compared to (425 x 8) ?

Well, if you use 375x9, then you stress the CPU but, it's designed to run at 9 so no biggie. If you use 425x8, then you stress the chipset more, which wasn't designed as much to take that much stress. I'm sure it can handle it as long as you remove the factory crap they have under the NB/SB and replace it with AC5 or ceramique. I'm sure extremely high FSB speeds have contributed to some people's failure of the memory controllers but, it's also because of the crap they put on the NB/SB that they call paste.

425 isn't too bad though. Some people push them to 500+ and 1.6v. To me, that's bad.

Cinge has right regarding the chipset stress and temps. Memory have very little impact on performance. You can run your memory with less speed because it consumes less power generating less heat and decrease the risk of failur.
You can focus on the timmings instead of the speed. Running with less mhz but with tight timmings equals more mhz and loose timings.

Okay, so for now, I'll do auto settings for my ram timings and set it to 1:1 ratio with my cpu.

As far as the FSB settings go, i'll try 375 x 9 and give it a shot.

I could POST under 400 x 9 with higher volts of 1.47 but running prime95 would give me errors. Temps were also approaching high 60's and I think i'd rather stick @ 3.2 if its going to give me better temps for 24/7 operation. I would LOVE 3.6 Ghz though, and even tried 425 x 8 but that was pretty hot/unstable for volts < 1.5

Yeah that's how I start my OC too.

I leave my ram at very tame settings like 5-5-5-15 and @ 1:1 until I find my Max OC and get things stable.

Back