*Official* Quad Core Overclock Thread

Make a sugestion to the man that controls the data base and see if it's even possible..........:eek: Maybe he can add it as a option...........:D

I'd be willing to be that all those might make the chart a bit on the large size ...............:eek: And then he would have to mod the rules a bit so that all temps were taken with the same program so that the data would mean something. Not sure if it's worth all that much trouble really, but if he decides to include it, so be it..........:D I really don't have a problem running any core at any OC with my water cooling rig, it can take just about anything right now, and if the temps get to warm for my liking, I still have room in my case to add another dual 220 radiator that I have sitting on the shelf...........:D

I'd be willing to be that all those might make the chart a bit on the large size ...............:eek: And then he would have to mod the rules a bit so that all temps were taken with the same program so that the data would mean something. Not sure if it's worth all that much trouble really, but if he decides to include it, so be it..........:D I really don't have a problem running any core at any OC with my water cooling rig, it can take just about anything right now, and if the temps get to warm for my liking, I still have room in my case to add another dual 220 radiator that I have sitting on the shelf...........:D

i think i will be moving to water cooling before my next cpu upgrade. my freezer 7 cools my [email protected] fine, but i think a quad would be a problem.

I haven't a clue how any CPU from the XP's on run on air.........:eek: After I started water cooling, I never looked back..............:D

Back to topic...

I'm now running my G0 Q6600 at 3.4 GHz with 1.375v. Load temps running Prime95 (stable for 10 hours now) with 4 instances is hovering between 45C and 52C (hottest core). It's awesome and it's cooler than my E4300 with less voltage. All this with air cooling (Thermalright SI-128 with Silverstone FM121 fan).

I tried running at 3.5 - 3.6 GHz but I got freezes and no boot in the mix and a moderator from XS said my Bad Axe 2 is limited to 9 x 390-395 with quads. I'm now considering swapping it for a P95 mobo to unleash the power since I'm feeling there is still a lot of room. I will also watercool during the fall for a higher overclock (I believe that with the right motherboard and watercooling, I will be able to reach 3.7-3.8 GHz).

So far, the G0 stepping is really impressive and I'm now folding with the quad with the SMP client averaging 6 minutes per frame for those who understand this.

You should try a nVidia based board...........I hear that they work well with Quads..........;)

I may have results from my Xeon X3220 late this evening. Day-um Newegg is fast. I ordered Tuesday and according to my tracking number my CPU is the area on the truck for delivery today.

On a side note, I have heard the EVGA 680i A1 mobo does well with quad cores. I am going to test my Xeon in this BX2 and likely wait on the X38.

I may have results from my Xeon X3220 late this evening. Day-um Newegg is fast. I ordered Tuesday and according to my tracking number my CPU is the area on the truck for delivery today.

On a side note, I have heard the EVGA 680i A1 mobo does well with quad cores. I am going to test my Xeon in this BX2 and likely wait on the X38.

I'm awaiting your results but I can predict you will bottom out at 3.5 - 3.55 GHz as well due to the Bad Axe 2 limitation. I would like a confirmation of this.

Air cooled only here and the only overclocking I've done is by the multiplier on a qx6700 to 3.2 ghz.

Rock solid stable :)

Xilikon: Do you have the northbridge voltage on your board maxed out? When it comes to overclocking the 975 isn't in the same league as the P965 or P35. Have a look through the [H]ard OC database for the E6300 and E6400 and it becomes pretty obvious what chipset manufacturer makes the best overclocking motherboards. Hint: It isn't Nvidia. :D

Xilikon: Do you have the northbridge voltage on your board maxed out? When it comes to overclocking the 975 isn't in the same league as the P965 or P35. Have a look through the [H]ard OC database for the E6300 and E6400 and it becomes pretty obvious what chipset manufacturer makes the best overclocking motherboards. Hint: It isn't Nvidia. :D

Not maxed out but pretty close. This didn't change anything as the higher you go, even if the temps is ok, I get random lockups and sometime, no boot to windows or freezes. Supertim0r, from XS who maintain the Bad Axe 2 official topic said that with quads, it will bottom out at 390-395 FSB and I'm close to that. He suggested getting a P95 motherboard to unleash the quads, which is what I might do. I'm looking at a Abit IP35.

Well, the 3.4ghz the other guy got with his G0 was under 1.4v. In your case its a toss up between higher overclock by 100mhz and 0.1v. Granted you have a kick ass watercooling setup so voltages really won't matter that much, but for those on air cooling the G0 will probably be a better bet. The sky is blue.:)

How many sec does it do on 1M PI?

Is it possible to start up Orthos two times while pushing your 4 Cores at the same time?

Which software regulates the 4 Cores?

I'm awaiting your results but I can predict you will bottom out at 3.5 - 3.55 GHz as well due to the Bad Axe 2 limitation. I would like a confirmation of this.

I'll end your suspense. I was able to set 401 x 9 in the BIOS and windows crashed before it loaded. Very early results look like 3.51GHz is going to be it. So your guess is accurate. There is no way air cooling is going to tame it well. TAT puts me into the mid 70s.

So if I want to stay on 3.5 I'm going to need watercooling. Unfortunately 3.5 also requires on the order of 1.5v too.

Details while I am here:

Xeon X3220 pack date 07-05-07
Prod Code SL9UP
Batch L640F187T

I am going to wait for reviews to come out on the X38 then decide which way I am going, with it or P35. I'll move to watercooling at the same time.

After some fiddling, I'm now set on 3.4 GHz 1.4v (F@H SMP is getting errors after a while at 1.375v). I used CoreTemp 0.95 which should be more accurate and the hottest core is 72c (28c ambient) instead of 57c from SpeedFan (5C under ambient at idle is impossible so adding 15c make it accurate enough). I'm now letting it run to get validated for the overclocking database submission.

Here is a screenie of the current settings :

Q6600G0-3400.jpg

Blacklash, your X3220 is B3 so this explain the higher voltage and higher temps for your overclock in addition of a crappy board. Just look at my results and I'm limited by temperature so I need to watercool to get higher along with a new board and I will also wait for X38 reviews before deciding. I started planning my future watercooling setup and will dive into it during the fall period.

Currently running at 3GHz (9x333) at 1.376 actual voltage (CPU-Z). Seems to be stable but hitting 70 degrees (adjusted) with Small FFTs.

Either my MB sucks or the CPU or something.

B3 stepping

Product code BX80562Q6600SL9UM
FPO/Batch# L719B074
Pack Date 07/10/07

I upgraded my board ot the latest P30 bios and still get crappy OC.

I max out at 2.8ghz. It maxes out at 312 FSB.

CPU is at 1.33v, FSB at 1.4v

I max out at like 50c on each core using Prime95 so it's not a temp issue.

Anything past this and it's unstable. Man, this sucks. My E6600 was hitting 3.4ghz with ease.

I was hoping for at least 3.0ghz

B3 is the older hotter stepping unfortunately =(

Now Dual Orthos Testing at 3.3GHz (9x366). Temps are running close to 74 degrees. If I hit 3.6GHz at all, I'll consider myself having hit the jackpot.

But it's not running hot. 50c on each core running 2 prime95 and orthos.

Well, check the other settings then. Could it be a simple mistake like memory being set too high?

Now stressing at 3.4GHz. Looks like this is the limit on air without raising voltages from 1.360V. At 3.5GHz, I error out immediately.

That's nice voltage for 3.4.GHz. ^

I may flea bay this chip. Taming 1.5v @ 3.5GHz is going to be a pain in the arse.

I was hoping for 1.4-1.45v for 3.5GHz. I am a tad disappointed. I seem to draw chips
that need over 1.5v for a decent OC a lot. My E6600 is fully capable of 3.8-3.9GHz
and it takes 1.65v to do. Naturally, I can't tame that. 3.7GHz = 1.55v. 3.6GHz = 1.45v.

Error at about 28 minutes for one set of cores, the other set seems fine. Going back to 3.3GHz (366x9) to find the Air/Stock Voltage stable point.

If I boosted voltage a bit and played a bit with multipliers, I could probably get 3.6GHz

Thats what I am exactly running on my E6600 right now 3.52 GHz with a CPU Voltage of 1.45 V.

I like to know how many seconds you guys do on 1M on your quadcores.

OC_1M_145s_352GHz-E660025July2007.jpg

BIOS SETTINGS E6600 PB5-DL WIFI Edition
AI Tuning [manual]
CPU Freq [389]
DRA freq [DDR2-1167 MHz]
PCI Express freq [AUTO}
PCI Clock Synchronisation Mode [AUTO}
Spread Spectrum [AUTO]
Memory Voltage [2.30 V]
CPU VCore Voltage [1.4500 V]
FSB Terminator Voltage [1.450 V]
NB VCORE [1.45V]
SB VCore (Sata,DCIE) [AUTO]
ICH Chipset Voltage [AUTO]

BIOS HARDWAREMONITOR
CPU Temp: [33]
MB Temp: [35]
CPU Fanspeed [1016]
CPU Q-Fan Control [Enabled]
CPU Fan Profile [Performance Mode]
VCore Voltage [1.368 V]
3,3 Voltage [3.312 V]
5V Voltage [5.120 V]
12V Voltage [12.038 V]

Frequency: 3.516 GHz
FSB Speed: 1556 MHz
Cache L1 32 KB
Cache L2 4096 KB
Ratio Status Unlocked (Max: 09, min:06)
Ratio Actual Value: 9
CPUID: 6F6

Graet post Q6600 3.744 Prime stable!!!
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1031321667&posted=1#post1031321652

Some of you might be interested in this data point relative to the Intel Quad cores.

I have an air cooled Overdrive PC Quad Core. It is OC to 3.2GHz and totally rock stable. Core Temp 0.95 shows about 85C with 90% utilization on all cores for extended periods of time. Room Temperature of about 68F.

As of a few months ago that was the limit for their three year warranty

Some of you might be interested in this data point relative to the Intel Quad cores.

I have an air cooled Overdrive PC Quad Core. It is OC to 3.2GHz and totally rock stable. Core Temp 0.95 shows about 85C with 90% utilization on all cores for extended periods of time. Room Temperature of about 68F.

As of a few months ago that was the limit for their three year warranty

What do you mean by limit?

Yea, I just think I got a cheap junk MB for OCing Quads. Nothing I do helps get it past 315FSB stable.

I tried that too. No good. I set it to 7 to start with to find my FSB max and 310 or so is about it. On my C2D, I was hitting 410 without a prob at all and still had room.

Well, after checking the EVGAforums, seems it is my MB. I guess I ended up with the POS MB version. Last time i will listen to EVGA CS as I was told the only difference between this board and the other more expensive ones was that this one didn't come with a manual and extras, thus the lower price. Well, now I find out it won't OC quad worth a crap. I can't even get 2.6 stable. It will run the desktop and browsing but online gaming it crashes hard with hardware failure. So much for that idea.

Avoid the 122-CK-NF63 TR like the plague.

Only one q6600 post so far?

This is the CPU I'm really interested in. It would need out perform the e6300 and e6320 in speed for me to consider it. So is anyone getting 3.5 Ghz and up?

Here is what I am getting (The chip is at 1.375v in the bios) I just stoped prime 95 as the max i was getting was around 57c

My idle temps are around 38c right now. as you can see here:

I tried that too. No good. I set it to 7 to start with to find my FSB max and 310 or so is about it. On my C2D, I was hitting 410 without a prob at all and still had room.

Well, after checking the EVGAforums, seems it is my MB. I guess I ended up with the POS MB version. Last time i will listen to EVGA CS as I was told the only difference between this board and the other more expensive ones was that this one didn't come with a manual and extras, thus the lower price. Well, now I find out it won't OC quad worth a crap. I can't even get 2.6 stable. It will run the desktop and browsing but online gaming it crashes hard with hardware failure. So much for that idea.

Avoid the 122-CK-NF63 TR like the plague.
This is a known issue- almost all of the first-revision 680's were crap for quads (AR and TR- it's not a question of cost-cutting, but rather of being an early adopter). Set up an RMA with eVGA, they will replace it with a T1 revision. You'll get much better results.

Back