Official PS5 Thread

You might be killing your PlayStation 5 by using it vertically, due to a design flaw by Sony

According to a PlayStation scene member who owns a hardware repair shop in France, using your PS5 vertically can damage it permanently, and he's seen the result first hand with his clients' consoles...the problem, he says, is that the liquid metal used to cool the APU can sometimes spill, and become uneven, which impacts (at least) the cooling...Ben Montana, owner of specialized repair shop ILoveMyConsole in France, has also been trying to bring attention to this issue for months

he says these are not isolated cases.,,according to him, the risk is high for PS5s that have been standing vertically for a long time, and he says all models are impacted...this includes Digital edition consoles...some people theorize that the vibrations of the Blu Ray drive could make the issue more severe on Physical Edition PS5's...

https://wololo.net/2023/01/05/youre...n-flaw-by-sony-according-to-hardware-experts/
That's too much liquid metal, if the pics are legit.

You might be killing your PlayStation 5 by using it vertically, due to a design flaw by Sony

According to a PlayStation scene member who owns a hardware repair shop in France, using your PS5 vertically can damage it permanently, and he's seen the result first hand with his clients' consoles...the problem, he says, is that the liquid metal used to cool the APU can sometimes spill, and become uneven, which impacts (at least) the cooling...Ben Montana, owner of specialized repair shop ILoveMyConsole in France, has also been trying to bring attention to this issue for months

he says these are not isolated cases.,,according to him, the risk is high for PS5s that have been standing vertically for a long time, and he says all models are impacted...this includes Digital edition consoles...some people theorize that the vibrations of the Blu Ray drive could make the issue more severe on Physical Edition PS5's...

https://wololo.net/2023/01/05/youre...n-flaw-by-sony-according-to-hardware-experts/
Yeah, sounds like FUD and clickbait. If the liquid metal is spilling out of the heatsink at all, under any circumstance, then it's a defect with the heatsink. Not due to the orientation of the console.

The PS5 Draws 350 Watts I have a 850 Watt PSU plus Two Monitors and One set of Speakers in the same power strip you think it should be ok? I'm not going to game on Both the PC and the PS5 at the same time that would be foolish. I would move the PS5 Cord to a different outlet but I have a Humified close to that strip and don't want it to short out if it becomes wet. The worst thing I ever did as dump water on the power strip by mistake started sparking I tried to uplug it before it got out of hand got shocked a few times.

The PS5 Draws 350 Watts I have a 850 Watt PSU plus Two Monitors and One set of Speakers in the same power strip you think it should be ok? I'm not going to game on Both the PC and the PS5 at the same time that would be foolish. I would move the PS5 Cord to a different outlet but I have a Humified close to that strip and don't want it to short out if it becomes wet. The worst thing I ever did as dump water on the power strip by mistake started sparking I tried to uplug it before it got out of hand got shocked a few times.
The PS5 is rated for 350W, but it only draws 200-220W maximum depending on the game. Just as your PSU is rated for 850W, it doesn't mean it's drawing that much power.

If you have 15A breakers then you can draw up to 1,700W before it starts becoming an issue (1,725W is max at 115V). You can absolutely run both your PC and PS5 at the same time. I wouldn't do it on a power strip, though. I'd invest in a good sine wave UPS. I have a CyberPower 1500VA unit.

That's fine. You can safely draw at least 1700 watts from an outlet/circuit before risking tripping the breaker. Which is all that should happen if you were somehow overdrawing too much power anyways. You'll never realistically be near with all that anyways since you'll never be near their max rated draw. Just don't be daisy chaining power strips.

Sony is offering 30-40% discounts for new or upgraded PS Plus accounts for the first 3- or 12-months until January 13 (this Friday). This makes the "Extra" tier the same price for a year as the "Essential" tier.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/ps-plus/#subscriptions

1673298478944.png

1673298506182.png

I saw this on another forum and I hadn't realized it...2023 is the first time in a long while where all 3 console makers have a 1st party potential GOTY title releasing...Sony: Spider-Man 2, Nintendo Switch: Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom and Microsoft: Starfield

if I had to guess, I'd say Starfield is the one that has the biggest risk of being a disappointment

I saw this on another forum and I hadn't realized it...2023 is the first time in a long while where all 3 console makers have a 1st party potential GOTY title releasing...Sony: Spider-Man 2, Nintendo Switch: Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom and Microsoft: Starfield

if I had to guess, I'd say Starfield is the one that has the biggest risk of being a disappointment
extremely concerned about zelda

I found BotW to be okay, but not great. I never understood a lot of the "best game ever" talk that was so prevalent at the time. I never really saw anything that make the game particularly unique or great. Even the premise of being able to literally go anywhere from the very beginning wasn't really the case. The game still had several gated points and sections with huge difficulty spikes to dissuade that. I don't think the game was bad or anything, but I never saw anything beyond an above average game that people wanted to like...because Nintendo somehow means fun and graphics don't matter and the 1980's ruled and stuff.

On the topic of the PS5, I'm pretty excited to see what the PSVR2 is all about. In particular, I'm unbelievably psyched for Switchback. I'm somewhat interested in Spider-Man 2 as well. I don't really see any other exclusives that strike my fancy. I guess I'm hopeful The Last of Us Part 1 will eventually drop to $30, too.

I found BotW to be okay, but not great. I never understood a lot of the "best game ever" talk that was so prevalent at the time. I never really saw anything that make the game particularly unique or great. Even the premise of being able to literally go anywhere from the very beginning wasn't really the case. The game still had several gated points and sections with huge difficulty spikes to dissuade that. I don't think the game was bad or anything, but I never saw anything beyond an above average game that people wanted to like...because Nintendo somehow means fun and graphics don't matter and the 1980's ruled and stuff.

On the topic of the PS5, I'm pretty excited to see what the PSVR2 is all about. In particular, I'm unbelievably psyched for Switchback. I'm somewhat interested in Spider-Man 2 as well. I don't really see any other exclusives that strike my fancy. I guess I'm hopeful The Last of Us Part 1 will eventually drop to $30, too.
It was that a average game. Not even really a good open world game. If they changed the characters and the name of the game to a new IP no one would of cared about it.

PS5 VR2 coming out February 22nd for $550. Looks like a pretty solid unit. Comes with 2 controller, headset and earphones.

The PSVR bundle I bought was $499. I still have a photo of the receipt on my phone. I bought the one that included VR Worlds, a single pair of move controllers, the headset, and the camera. Well, that and the annoying breakout-box connector. No earphones were included. Considering this one doesn't need a camera, literally the only difference is the bundled game. $550 is in no way cheap, but it's not a huge jump.

PlayStation 5 Vertical Orientation Issue Clarified by Technician; Issue Happens on “Unopened” Consoles

In the last report about this situation, we mentioned a YouTube technician/repair shop owner known as TheCod3r...he talked about the liquid metal spilling issue and was one of the first to report it...however, due to a misquote by Wololo, he had to make another video to clarify further where the issue came from...the issue seems to affect PlayStation 5 consoles left unopened by other repair shops or the owners themselves

another YouTuber known as SpawnWave Media also talked about this issue in detail and theorized that this still isn't widespread...he believes that the barrier that's placed around the liquid metal will be enough to protect the console...additionally, he also states that despite the numerous reports that came in from multiple repair shops, it still hasn't reached the levels of other fatal console design flaws, such as the Red Ring of Death...

It's a few months away and i've seen so very little of the game. For such a huge scope they have a tiny dev team, they should have used the same world, and a bunch of the same assets, put new mobs and quests in there, and release. You have this massive massive world thats basically empty, why develop a game in the clouds, use the dang world you have. It's the same hardware, so it's not like you can make something more impressive for this iteration. Such a waste of time and effort.

For what it's worth, i absolutely loved BOTW, and will play through again before may. But i'm concerned this will not have the same grandeur that botw had, and my switch has been sitting idle for 6 months :(

PS5 VR2 coming out February 22nd for $550. Looks like a pretty solid unit. Comes with 2 controller, headset and earphones.
I preordered one, hope i like it. Pretty expensive considering the last gen games don't work, wtf. Hopefully it doesn't collect dust after i finish horizon.

PlayStation 5 to Get Cloud Streaming Functionality and Discord Integration with Firmware Update 7.00

In addition to the Discord integration, sources have revealed that PlayStation 5 games will also be streamable on the PlayStation 5 via cloud streaming (to save that all-important drive space)...it was said that this feature will be included in the PlayStation Plus Premium Tier...the update is currently scheduled for March 8, 2023...

https://insider-gaming.com/playstation-5-version-7-00-update/

PlayStation 5 to Get Cloud Streaming Functionality and Discord Integration with Firmware Update 7.00

In addition to the Discord integration, sources have revealed that PlayStation 5 games will also be streamable on the PlayStation 5 via cloud streaming (to save that all-important drive space)...it was said that this feature will be included in the PlayStation Plus Premium Tier...the update is currently scheduled for March 8, 2023...

https://insider-gaming.com/playstation-5-version-7-00-update/
sigh.

Sony revealed a launch lineup of 30 titles for PSVR2 when it launches next month, including 13 new games and updates for 17 games already available.

https://blog.playstation.com/2023/01/19/playstation-vr2-13-new-titles-and-launch-lineup-revealed/
  • After the Fall (Vertigo Games)
  • Altair Breaker (Thirdverse)
  • Before Your Eyes (Skybound Interactive, launch window)
  • Cities VR (Fast Travel Games)
  • Cosmonious High (Owlchemy)
  • Creed: Rise to Glory – Championship Edition (Survios, launch window)
  • The Dark Pictures: Switchback (Supermassive, launch window)
  • Demeo (Resolution Games)
  • Dyschronia: Chronos Alternate (MyDearest Inc., Perp Games)
  • Fantavision 202X (Cosmo Machia, Inc.)
  • Gran Turismo 7 (via free update to PS5 version of GT7)
  • Horizon Call of the Mountain (Firesprite, Guerrilla)
  • Job Simulator (Owlchemy)
  • Jurassic World Aftermath (Coatsink)
  • Kayak VR: Mirage (Better Than Life)
  • Kizuna AI – Touch the Beat! (Gemdrops, Inc.)
  • The Last Clockwinder (Pontoco/Cyan Worlds)
  • The Light Brigade (Funktronic Labs, purchase includes PS VR and PS VR2 versions)
  • Moss 1 & 2 Remaster (Polyarc)
  • NFL Pro Era (StatusPro, Inc., free PS VR2 upgrade)
  • No Man’s Sky (Hello Games, launch window)
  • Pavlov VR (Vankrupt)
  • Pistol Whip (Cloudhead, free upgrade)
  • Puzzling Places (Realities.io, free upgrade)
  • Resident Evil Village (Capcom, via free update to PS5 version of RE Village)
  • Rez Infinite (Enhance)
  • Song in the Smoke (17 Bit)
  • STAR WARS: Tales from the Galaxy’s Edge (ILMxLab)
  • Synth Riders (Kluge Interactive, free upgrade)
  • The Tale of Onogoro (Amata K.K)
  • Tentacular (Devolver)
  • Tetris Effect: Connected (Enhance)
  • Thumper (Drool LLC)
  • The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners: Ch. 2: Retribution (Skydance, launch window)
  • Vacation Simulator (Owlchemy)
  • What the Bat (Triband)
  • Zenith: The Last City (Ramen VR, free upgrade)

Glad to see Switchback on that list. Almost thought it wasn't going to be a launch game, but it's under "The Dark Pictures." That's going to be my jam. My wife is hoping for some kind of spiritual successor to Eagle Flight.

Replacement covers does anyone have one?
Just don't want a glossy one due to scratches. I think Black would look too plain looking at Camo ones but might look tacky after awhile

.Screenshot_20230126-054159.png

Last edited:
Just don't want a glossy one due to scratches. I think Black would look too plain looking at Camo ones but might look tacky after awhile.View attachment 544559
The only nice one I seen are the Dbrand one. All the other Chinese made are really cheap plastics. The Dbrand 2.0 are redesigned with better airflow then the stock plates. I don't think they are worth the $50+ tho.

Just don't want a glossy one due to scratches. I think Black would look too plain looking at Camo ones but might look tacky after awhile.View attachment 544559
Sony has official replacement panels.

**I do have a purple controller cover, just like that one. And I like it a lot. Fattens up the controller, in all the right places. Also have some convex attachments for the sticks.

That Purple one looks nice plus they have the PS5 logo etched on them also you know they will fit.

Update: I picked up the Galactic Purple one the Cosmic Red looks way too Red saw a video on Youtube.
Now do I ditch my white controller? I think I'll skip the controller the buttons don't look very distinct on the colored version plus they are 70.00 rather buy DDR5 or something.

Last edited:
Was going to get a matching purple controller but decided to go with the Camo at work. Damn girl got her keys stuck in the case lol I tried to help her but I pinched her fingers instead. Got another guy over there to help after 10% discount it was 66.60 only but 5% sales tax. The camo controller is really nice looking the Black was sold out but the Camo is pretty decent.

I used to own a PS4 it had tons of scratches on the glossy section I didn't even try to scratch it. PS5 is more durable especially the covers.
The PS5 doesn't have that issue. The only part on the console that could get scratched is the piano black part where the front USB ports are. These covers don't replace that part.

Mind control sedation or just bored PSN devs?

what game is at the :43 second mark?...looks like Tomb Raider but it's an Amazon produced game and wouldn't be a PS exclusive...rumors are it could be a new Uncharted game

*even though Naughty Dog has stated that they are done with the UC series after Uncharted 4, Sony has stated that they plan on continuing the brand

what game is at the :43 second mark?...looks like Tomb Raider but it's an Amazon produced game and wouldn't be a PS exclusive...rumors are it could be a new Uncharted game

*even though Naughty Dog has stated that they are done with the UC series after Uncharted 4, Sony has stated that they plan on continuing the brand
Looks like The Last of Us 2.

Back