Official PS5 Thread

The PS4 was when consoles moved to x86 from PowerPC so there was a reason you couldn't just put a PS3 disc into a PS4. However the current gen consoles are just souped-up versions of their previous generation counterparts which is why backwards compatibility is a non-issue this gen and universally works.
Right, but the assets on the PS4 disc are FOR the PS4, and the assets on the PS5 disc are for the PS5 version.

If you put a PS4 disc into the PS5 you play the PS4 version, unless you pay for the PS5 assets.

If the only difference is improved framerate, then it's a scam.
But it's higher polycounts, better textures, and can even be a different renderer.

I grudgingly accept and prefer Sony's $10 fee to Microsoft's ad-driven and user-hostile "console". Now granted, if Sony starts locking things like 60+ FPS and resolution bumps behind the paywall then I'll be pretty pissed. The Xbox isn't a gaming console anymore, it's commercialized spyware in your house intended to feed the ad-tech industry parasites - everything else, including the "gaming" part, is a distant secondary priority.

I grudgingly accept and prefer Sony's $10 fee to Microsoft's ad-driven and user-hostile "console". Now granted, if Sony starts locking things like 60+ FPS and resolution bumps behind the paywall then I'll be pretty pissed. The Xbox isn't a gaming console anymore, it's commercialized spyware in your house intended to feed the ad-tech industry parasites - everything else, including the "gaming" part, is a distant secondary priority.
What are you talking about? I'd love to see your sources for these assertions.

Quick question... are saves automatically uploaded into the cloud? I am asking because I recently tried Persona 5 and I saw it had a separate save slot for cloud saving. If I just save a game regularly are the uploads done automatically? Yes I have PS Plus... I know it's required for cloud game saves.

I also saw in the PS5's system settings that there is a section to upload saves to the cloud which I don't understand why that's there if it's done automatically. Is there anything I need to do to make sure saves are being uploaded?

Quick question... are saves automatically uploaded into the cloud? I am asking because I recently tried Persona 5 and I saw it had a separate save slot for cloud saving. If I just save a game regularly are the uploads done automatically? Yes I have PS Plus... I know it's required for cloud game saves.

I also saw in the PS5's system settings that there is a section to upload saves to the cloud which I don't understand why that's there if it's done automatically. Is there anything I need to do to make sure saves are being uploaded?
With PS Plus, the option is automatically enabled. The upload feature is if something didn't upload right or if you recently transferred saves from a local backup.

What is the difference from Alexa, google Facebook or every other tech company? You think Sony is not listening to you? Everyone is listening to you every where. It is BS but nothing can be done about it. People of their own free will give up their privacy for slight convince and you will not convince them to stop.

Pretty interesting testing showing more evidence that speeds are largely irrelevant on expansion SSDs in PS5, outside of some game transfers to it taking exceptionally long.

Gonna hold off for more reasonably priced 2TB SSDs for my PS5 though. I don't play or keep more than 1-2 games on the internal SSD at a time and am good with keeping all my games on a 4TB external until I decide to play them. Which you can transfer games between drives on the PSN app so you can do it while away and it'll be ready later when you sit down to play.

Yea but it more the fact Xbox is not charging and making games be playable between the two generation. Sony is in top and starting to try and take advantage again. I wouldn't be surprised if MS takes the crown this generation later on if Sony continues down this anti-consumer path. They built up a good trust with gamers with PS4 and even wrecked MS on their anti-consumer practices with the xbone. Only to reverse course the following generation is lame.
well people complained about it enough that Horizon 2 will be a free upgrade. So.....you can buy the PS4 version for $10 less and then put it in your PS5 and play the PS5 version.

Also a reminder that there are plenty 3rd party games doing free upgrades on PS5. Nioh 2 is one of them. You can buy Nioh 2 on PS4 right now, for like $14.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
well people complained about it enough that Horizon 2 will be a free upgrade. So.....you can buy the PS4 version for $10 less and then put it in your PS5 and play the PS5 version.

Also a reminder that there are plenty 3rd party games doing free upgrades on PS5. Nioh 2 is one of them. You can buy Nioh 2 on PS4 right now, for like $14.
It is more with Sony's exclusives. Lots of 3rd party devs give free upgrades.

Can someone do me a favor? What is the width and height of the PS cutout on the side panel of the PS5? I am not home to measure it myself. Doesn't have to be TOO exact.

Can someone do me a favor? What is the width and height of the PS cutout on the side panel of the PS5? I am not home to measure it myself. Doesn't have to be TOO exact.
https://www.gamesradar.com/ps5-dimensions-size/
PS5 size: Approximately 390mm x 104mm x 260mm, or 15.4" x 4.1" x 10.2" (width x height x depth)

PS5 Digital Edition size: Approximately 390mm x 92mm x 260mm, or 15.4" x 3.6" x 10.2" (width x height x depth)

https://www.gamesradar.com/ps5-dimensions-size/
PS5 size: Approximately 390mm x 104mm x 260mm, or 15.4" x 4.1" x 10.2" (width x height x depth)

PS5 Digital Edition size: Approximately 390mm x 92mm x 260mm, or 15.4" x 3.6" x 10.2" (width x height x depth)

I said the "PS5 cutout" on the panel.

Screenshot 2021-09-23 111737.jpg

Quick question... if I buy a game with my PS Plus discount... say for instance God of War for $7.99... and then my PS Plus expires will my access to God of War go away too since I bought the game using a PS Plus discount?

Quick question... if I buy a game with my PS Plus discount... say for instance God of War for $7.99... and then my PS Plus expires will my access to God of War go away too since I bought the game using a PS Plus discount?

Nope you'll still have it. The games you would lose are the "PS+ Free Titles" or whatever they're called, those monthly ones you can add for free.

Nope you'll still have it. The games you would lose are the "PS+ Free Titles" or whatever they're called, those monthly ones you can add for free.

I think if you don't renew your PS+ within 6 months too, you permanently lose your free/claimed PS+titles, which IMO is garbage and different from how Xbox handles it since I think they let you regain access to free Gold games regardless of how long your sub lapsed.

Edit: Googling this again, I can't find anything about PS+ games expiring permanently after your sub lapses. But I could have swore I had read that from Sony at one point. May not be the case anymore.

Last edited:
I think if you don't renew your PS+ within 6 months too, you permanently lose your free/claimed PS+titles, which IMO is garbage and different from how Xbox handles it since I think they let you regain access to free Gold games regardless of how long your sub lapsed.

Edit: Googling this again, I can't find anything about PS+ games expiring permanently after your sub lapses. But I could have swore I had read that from Sony at one point. May not be the case anymore.

Yar, I don't think this is the case anymore. I had let my PS+ lapse for a couple of years and when I renewed it for PS5, they still appeared in my library.

PlayStation Officially Acquires Bluepoint Games, Next Game Planned to Be an Original, Not a Remake

Bluepoint and PlayStation have worked closely together for years, but the news comes after the studio's latest successful release, as Sony confirmed Demon's Souls has sold more than 1.4 million copies since release...

https://www.ign.com/articles/sony-acquires-bluepoint-next-game-playstation-exclusive
Bluepoint knocked Demons Souls out of the park. 1.4mil copies is impressive considering the game's "sleeper" lineage, but also too bad so many of those people never got to experience the remake in all its glory - apparently around 420,000 of them never made it past the first boss (Phalanx).

Bluepoint knocked Demons Souls out of the park. 1.4mil copies is impressive considering the game's "sleeper" lineage, but also too bad so many of those people never got to experience the remake in all its glory - apparently around 420,000 of them never made it past the first boss (Phalanx).
Heheeeehhh!

But yeah. I think lifetime sales of Demon's Souls on PS3, was about 2 million. So....1.4 in a tough year, is very impressive. I expect that number to grow, as more people get their hands on PS5's.

The Demon's Souls remake is still one of the best looking games out there in spite of it being a remake of an older game. That's even compared to most PC games. Playing it for 2 minutes shows the huge leap the PS5 can be vs. the X1 and PS4.

Back