Official PS5 Thread

Update drops tomorrow, SSD expansion and some minor UI tweaks. I will like hiding most all of those icons in control center.

Do we have a list of SSD that fit in the expansion slot, or is it just safe to say to not use one that comes with an integrated heat spreader?

Good timing - just got a new monitor (FV43U) and have a hankering to get back into some PS5 gaming to test out the HDR/4K (going from a 32" 1440p to 43" 4k).

Do we have a list of SSD that fit in the expansion slot, or is it just safe to say to not use one that comes with an integrated heat spreader?
You want one which comes with a single sided heatsink. Unless its an SSD officially rated to function fine without one.

There is a list of compatible heatsinks, which includes a double sided one. If you get a SN850 it would be cheaper to get one without the included heatsink and add one of these yourself.
  • Be Quiet MC1 (the Pro variant is NOT compatible)
  • MHQJRH Heatsink
  • PELOTE Heatsink
  • Sabrent M.2 NVMe PS5 heatsink (Pre-Order)
  • Warship Pro Heatsink
  • GIGABYTE AORUS External Heatsink

Hey guys. Just wanted to share my PS5 with ya'll. I am finally done and happy with it.

Below is just a progress pic.

1. Stock
2. Black side panels added: https://www.amazon.com/Shockproof-PlayStation-Anti-Scratch-Dustproof-Replacement/dp/B08T79W5M1
a. Added dBrand Matte Black middle skin b/c I hated the cheap shiny finger-print magnet plastic front. They put the same crap on the original PS4. https://dbrand.com/shop/special-edition/ps5
b. PS5 Power Light decal from Flaming Toast so the LED is always blue (except when it's yellow in Rest Mode unfortunately) https://www.flamingtoast.com/?product=ps5-power-light-decal-blue

1.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hey guys. Just wanted to share my PS5 with ya'll. I am finally done and happy with it.

Below is just a progress pic.

1. Stock
2. Black side panels added: https://www.amazon.com/Shockproof-PlayStation-Anti-Scratch-Dustproof-Replacement/dp/B08T79W5M1
a. Added dBrand Matte Black middle skin b/c I hated the cheap shiny finger-print magnet plastic front. They put the same crap on the original PS4. https://dbrand.com/shop/special-edition/ps5
b. PS5 Power Light decal from Flaming Toast so the LED is always blue (except when it's yellow in Rest Mode unfortunately) https://www.flamingtoast.com/?product=ps5-power-light-decal-blue

View attachment 395206

Love it! Good stuff dude.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That all-black treatment does look pretty nice, and I do like the more matte brushed-look of the middle skin now that you've shown it. Though I have to say the white side panels have grown on me a little, almost every piece of electronics I own is black so it's something different. It clashes a bit but I don't mind it.

Looking forward to updating the firmware & popping in my SSD later, haven't even owned it very long and already have had to shuffle games around a bit. I'm one that likes to have pretty much any game I might want to play installed, and there are a variety of games I play with the family that I don't ever want to uninstall.

1TB SN850 are going for $180 right now. The 2TB are down to $350 after being up around $500. May grab a 2TB for mine. Not sure which heatsink to go with, but I'm leaning toward the MHQJRH.

There's a new section for configuring your audio for both TV's and AVR's. I don't think it'll change much for most people, but it'll let you fine tune some options if you have an unusual speaker configuration.

The New PlayStation 5 CFI-1100 Review- Featuring Gamers Nexus!

dropping back on the size and material of the cooler makes for a cheaper machine and Sony has recently said that the disc version of the new PS5 no longer loses money on each console sold...but does this make for a hotter, worse machine then the launch version?

There's a new section for configuring your audio for both TV's and AVR's. I don't think it'll change much for most people, but it'll let you fine tune some options if you have an unusual speaker configuration.
Heh I was just going to ask if anyone noticed their audio settings changed. I had mine set to home theater (or whatever it was named before I forget) and 5.1, and after the update it was set to TV. Had to go back in and change it and re-set it to 5.1 again.

Popped in my 2TB 980 Pro with an aftermarket heatsink, works great so far. Copied a couple games to it and played one off of it with no apparent issues. The read test after format only reported like 5650ish, which is still fine but not as fast as I see other drives going. It was a pretty recent production date so I didn't bother to try and update the firmware (also mostly due to laziness as far as opening up my rig's case & replacing an existing drive to run Magician and then swapping again).

The New PlayStation 5 CFI-1100 Review- Featuring Gamers Nexus!

dropping back on the size and material of the cooler makes for a cheaper machine and Sony has recently said that the disc version of the new PS5 no longer loses money on each console sold...but does this make for a hotter, worse machine then the launch version?

TL;DW
No, it doesn't.

I put in a 1TB Gigabyte Aorus drive, copied some PS4 games to it, went pretty fast for 150 GB.

I have a really big problem with PlayStation and more specifically Sony with how they're handling the cross-platforming between the previous generation and the current. First let me say that I love my PS5, but the way that Sony is handling the game situation I feel is REALLY rubbing me the wrong way. We all know it's hard... in fact it's VERY hard to get your hands on a PS5 at retail pricing nowadays and it appears this trend will continue into next year... When you look under the hood the Xbox One and PS4 are x86 computers now... we finally moved away from PowerPC architectures with the 360 and PS3 and now the previous gen and current gen are just basically very specialized computers being x86 now.

If you think about the approach to games with how Microsoft is handling Xbox games from previous gen to current gen basically ALL the games that come out for the foreseeable future will be playable on both the Xbox One and Series X. This is a GOOD thing. Yes some could argue that doing this is less incentive for users to upgrade systems, but I fully disagree with this b/c every generation people upgrade because they want better graphics. Well with this new generation you get a lot more than just better graphics, but you get faster loading times with the SSD, etc, etc.

So what I am getting at here is that Sony is very specifically selling PS5 games with no intent whatsoever for those to be played on PS4. Why is this a problem you ask? Well say you are a PS4 player and you have tried for months to get your hands on a PS5, you have the money ready to go, you just need one opportunity to be able to order it but you keep missing out. What if you want to start buying PS5 games now for your collection and play them on your PS4 until you get your PS5? No you can't do that. You have to buy the PS4 version of that game now, and then pay the $10 upgrade fee to get the PS5 version digitally say months down the road... Well what if said PS5 game has dropped in price already by the time you get your hands on a PS5? What if you wanted the PS5 case for that game instead of the PS4 one for your collection?

My point is that these consoles are just computers now. Imagine releasing a game on PC and then a company charging a upgrade fee when you buy a new video card so you can play the same game with slightly better graphics? Pc gaming in this respect has it right because imagine you played Crysis when it first released, and while you couldn't crank up the graphics to Max you still had fun playing it, and then you upgraded your graphics card down the road and can now see the game in it's full glory. Well you can do this now with the Xbox games, but not with PlayStation games. I just looked at the box art for Halo Infinite and on the spine it just says "Xbox" on it and on the front it says "Xbox Series X" and under it it says "Xbox One."

I don't feel like development of games is held back at all anymore with respects to supporting the previous generation b/c these consoles are just like computers now. It's like playing a PC game on high settings on your latest computer, and playing the same game on medium settings on your previous build. The new consoles are just like increasing the graphics fidelity settings from Medium to High or whatever so why is it that Sony REALLY want to differentiate the PS5 games and not only make it so you can't play "PS5" branded games on the PS4 (you can't put a PS5 disc into a PS4 and have it work), and on top of that wants to charge $10 more for a version where literally the only thing they're doing different to the game is increasing it's graphics options?

I think Microsoft has the right idea here in that the games are console agnostic. You'll get a better experience playing a game on the newer console, but it's still playable on the old one albeit with not as high graphical fidelity and slower load times just like PC gamers even if they have a slightly older system can play the newest PC games, but with slightly toned-down graphics settings.

I have a really big problem with PlayStation and more specifically Sony with how they're handling the cross-platforming between the previous generation and the current. First let me say that I love my PS5, but the way that Sony is handling the game situation I feel is REALLY rubbing me the wrong way. We all know it's hard... in fact it's VERY hard to get your hands on a PS5 at retail pricing nowadays and it appears this trend will continue into next year... When you look under the hood the Xbox One and PS4 are x86 computers now... we finally moved away from PowerPC architectures with the 360 and PS3 and now the previous gen and current gen are just basically very specialized computers being x86 now.

If you think about the approach to games with how Microsoft is handling Xbox games from previous gen to current gen basically ALL the games that come out for the foreseeable future will be playable on both the Xbox One and Series X. This is a GOOD thing. Yes some could argue that doing this is less incentive for users to upgrade systems, but I fully disagree with this b/c every generation people upgrade because they want better graphics. Well with this new generation you get a lot more than just better graphics, but you get faster loading times with the SSD, etc, etc.

So what I am getting at here is that Sony is very specifically selling PS5 games with no intent whatsoever for those to be played on PS4. Why is this a problem you ask? Well say you are a PS4 player and you have tried for months to get your hands on a PS5, you have the money ready to go, you just need one opportunity to be able to order it but you keep missing out. What if you want to start buying PS5 games now for your collection and play them on your PS4 until you get your PS5? No you can't do that. You have to buy the PS4 version of that game now, and then pay the $10 upgrade fee to get the PS5 version digitally say months down the road... Well what if said PS5 game has dropped in price already by the time you get your hands on a PS5? What if you wanted the PS5 case for that game instead of the PS4 one for your collection?

My point is that these consoles are just computers now. Imagine releasing a game on PC and then a company charging a upgrade fee when you buy a new video card so you can play the same game with slightly better graphics? Pc gaming in this respect has it right because imagine you played Crysis when it first released, and while you couldn't crank up the graphics to Max you still had fun playing it, and then you upgraded your graphics card down the road and can now see the game in it's full glory. Well you can do this now with the Xbox games, but not with PlayStation games. I just looked at the box art for Halo Infinite and on the spine it just says "Xbox" on it and on the front it says "Xbox Series X" and under it it says "Xbox One."

I don't feel like development of games is held back at all anymore with respects to supporting the previous generation b/c these consoles are just like computers now. It's like playing a PC game on high settings on your latest computer, and playing the same game on medium settings on your previous build. The new consoles are just like increasing the graphics fidelity settings from Medium to High or whatever so why is it that Sony REALLY want to differentiate the PS5 games and not only make it so you can't play "PS5" branded games on the PS4 (you can't put a PS5 disc into a PS4 and have it work), and on top of that wants to charge $10 more for a version where literally the only thing they're doing different to the game is increasing it's graphics options?

I think Microsoft has the right idea here in that the games are console agnostic. You'll get a better experience playing a game on the newer console, but it's still playable on the old one albeit with not as high graphical fidelity and slower load times just like PC gamers even if they have a slightly older system can play the newest PC games, but with slightly toned-down graphics settings.
I agree and feel Sony is just trying to milk it since they are on top atm. It is going to come but them in the ass next generation I promise you. Sony is being very anti-consumer this round. Granted it would be very hard for Sony to compete with MS with game pass cause MS has to be lose a lot of money on it. It rubs me the wrong way that Sony is charging $70 for all it's exclusives and making people pay for ps5 upgrades. Most 3rd party companies even offer free upgrades on their system. They also still charge $60 ffs. If it wasn't for Sony's exclusives I wouldn't even own a console this generation. I also believe cross gen is hurting games. GoW 2 did not look impressive to me. I know several people that are content with sticking with base model PS4 asking as those exclusives keep coming out for it. I even offered people PS5 I got for MSRP and had no interest in buying them.

no, No, NO!

If you can't get a ps5, sorry, pay more or wait. The games aren't going anywhere, you can play them later. No more cross gen bullcrap. If microsoft wants to do that(they'll probably have to since they released series S for some dumb reason) great. I don't want my ps5 experience hampered by appealing to 8 year old hardware. I don't want it, no ps5 person wants it, sorry. PS4 games, go away.

no, No, NO!

If you can't get a ps5, sorry, pay more or wait. The games aren't going anywhere, you can play them later. No more cross gen bullcrap. If microsoft wants to do that(they'll probably have to since they released series S for some dumb reason) great. I don't want my ps5 experience hampered by appealing to 8 year old hardware. I don't want it, no ps5 person wants it, sorry. PS4 games, go away.

As close to PCs as these consoles are... imagine telling PC gamers they don't want games to work on older hardware because it's somehow "holding" back the new games. It's complete BS.

As close to PCs as these consoles are... imagine telling PC gamers they don't want games to work on older hardware because it's somehow "holding" back the new games. It's complete BS.
These aren't PC's, this is how consoles have worked since pong. If you value that PC cross generational experience, cool. There's a platform for that :)

I lean in the "move on" direction myself. I appreciate the buffed versions of older titles, but the rare current-gen exclusive titles look night and day better than everything else. I want that to be the standard and I don't want everything being held back so that they can have PS4 versions of everything. If the PS5 wasn't so tough to get, I don't know if this discussion would be happening. In the past, when a new console launched - people knew what they were in for. Titles would continue to trickle out for the older systems, but the serious new titles were going to be for the new machine.

These aren't PC's, this is how consoles have worked since pong. If you value that PC cross generational experience, cool. There's a platform for that :)
Consoles since the PlayStation days worked via PowerPC architecture and these new ones are now x86. That's why I was comparing them to PCs because in that sense the new consoles are just souped-up versions of their previous counterparts which explains why cross-compatibility is so universal. Everyone Xbox One game plays on the new console, and same with PS4 games on PS5 with very few exceptions.

I agree that we need to start focusing on the new machines, but I am just saying I think Microsoft has a much better approach right now with respect to how you move forward with new games and your existing library.

Consoles since the PlayStation days worked via PowerPC architecture and these new ones are now x86. That's why I was comparing them to PCs because in that sense the new consoles are just souped-up versions of their previous counterparts which explains why cross-compatibility is so universal. Everyone Xbox One game plays on the new console, and same with PS4 games on PS5 with very few exceptions.

I agree that we need to start focusing on the new machines, but I am just saying I think Microsoft has a much better approach right now with respect to how you move forward with new games and your existing library.
Xbox was an Intel Celeron with an off the shelf nforce chipset no?

I consider a PC to have a rolling generation of 7 years. In other words, developers shouldn't be catering to hardware older than 7 years old. They need to stop pandering to the vocal cheapskates complaining about lack of compatibility with their now-15 year old Athlon X2 CPU.

Looks like it was free for PS4 and PS5, during the month of May. But it is not part of the semi- permanent PS Plus game collection.

Yeah, the game has been on sale for $10 or less a few times before too on PSN. They've been literally and practically giving the game away for the past few years now, which is awesome considering it was one of my favorite games of last gen.

Praey For The Gods (Early Access game which is heavily inspired by Shadow of The Colossus) is being ported to PS5 and takes advantage of Dual Sense controller features.

Just throwing this out there that after the PS4 came out, a lot of games came out for both the 3 and 4. If you had a game on the 3, got a 4, and wanted to replay the game on the ps4, you'd have to repurchase the game, not just pay $10.

So $10 isn't a big deal if you want to jump from one generation to the next with the same disc.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
Just throwing this out there that after the PS4 came out, a lot of games came out for both the 3 and 4. If you had a game on the 3, got a 4, and wanted to replay the game on the ps4, you'd have to repurchase the game, not just pay $10.

So $10 isn't a big deal if you want to jump from one generation to the next with the same disc.
Yea but it more the fact Xbox is not charging and making games be playable between the two generation. Sony is in top and starting to try and take advantage again. I wouldn't be surprised if MS takes the crown this generation later on if Sony continues down this anti-consumer path. They built up a good trust with gamers with PS4 and even wrecked MS on their anti-consumer practices with the xbone. Only to reverse course the following generation is lame.

The PS4 was when consoles moved to x86 from PowerPC so there was a reason you couldn't just put a PS3 disc into a PS4. However the current gen consoles are just souped-up versions of their previous generation counterparts which is why backwards compatibility is a non-issue this gen and universally works.

Back