Official PS5 Thread

Deathloop is a PS5 exclusive for a year. Comes out in September, though, not November-December.

So if HZD is pushed to 2022, this holiday season looks like alot of Battlefield and little else. PS5 is gonna feel like my switch. Maybe i'll take up archery.
Ive been so sucked in by Destiny 2 the last 2-3 years Its taken a majority of my limited spare time and I have largely neglected all the top PS exclusives. I just started getting to my PS backlog last week and all the games I have been pushing off now have PS5 enhancement patches so I'm super excited. Now about 8 hours into the FF7 remake, after that its God of War, then the original Spiderman game (already crushed miles) then Horizon Zero dawn.

Add in the new Battlefield game and I'm set for the next very long while lol

Ive been so sucked in by Destiny 2 the last 2-3 years Its taken a majority of my limited spare time and I have largely neglected all the top PS exclusives. I just started getting to my PS backlog last week and all the games I have been pushing off now have PS5 enhancement patches so I'm super excited. Now about 8 hours into the FF7 remake, after that its God of War, then the original Spiderman game (already crushed miles) then Horizon Zero dawn.

Add in the new Battlefield game and I'm set for the next very long while lol
I got spiderman with my ps pro, played it for a bit and then i think OG HZD came out and i played that instead. Tried to go back to it but i forgot all the buttons and it was just a chore. Definitely revisited it after playing miles morales and it was worth it. FF7 remake i thought was also great. HZD is fantastic, it's a great experience. I think Hades is also coming to PS5(although graphically it's not really necessary) but I've sunk countless hours into it on switch, and damn it's fun. You have a bright future, ignore destiny for a bit, that's a great game lineup you got.

Deathloop is a PS5 exclusive for a year. Comes out in September, though, not November-December.
I'm not super excited about it, seems to slow for me, i'll wait for reviews and pick it up possibly. I think September i'll be waiting for bridge of spirits, hopefully it's good.

Anyone actually in on this “beta firmware” currently and has tried a gen 4 nvme yet?

I registered for it like 7-8 days ago?? Still no word. Or how do i check again?

Anyone actually in on this “beta firmware” currently and has tried a gen 4 nvme yet?

I applied for it as well, but nothing from Sony. Strange how it was easy to get into the PS4 betas...

I applied for it as well, but nothing from Sony. Strange how it was easy to get into the PS4 betas...
I signed up for the beta the day nvme support was announced and just got the email inviting me to test it now.

I registered 7/29 and received the email invite today. Still waiting for my SSD (Gigabyte GP-AG70S1TB) to arrive, but it should be here this weekend.

I just got the beta invite as well. My WD SN850 won’t be here until next Tuesday though, boo.

I only play one game at a time. No point of this for me, but I get it for people that play 10 games at once.

Well I guess we all got the invite today then because I got mine too lol.

I’ll order a 2TB gen 4 nvme off Amazon tonight

Got the beta firmware and SSD setup, haven't played anything yet, but moving games from native storage to M.2 was pretty fast given their size. I have a decent gaming PC and I deal with enterprise-level storage on a regular basis so I think I have a good idea of what 'fast' is when it comes to moving data. I'm hoping to see some benches between the native storage and M.2 drives because I'm not counting on myself to notice a speed difference if it's just a few seconds. Regardless of speed, it's nice seeing all the extra space.

A new trailer for the PlayStation 5 version of 'The Medium' by Bloober Team has been released...in it, we get to see how the developers will use the console's Dualsense controller to immerse you even deeper into the dual-reality horror game...

PS5 Firmware 2.0 Tested: M.2 SSD Storage Upgrade vs. PS5 Internal Drive Loading Time Tests!

Equipped with a Samsung 980 Pro M.2 SSD, we investigate how such an expansion runs native PS5 apps like Ratchet and Clank - and how it fares across loading and transfer tests too...

PS5 Firmware 2.0 Tested: M.2 SSD Storage Upgrade vs. PS5 Internal Drive Loading Time Tests!

Equipped with a Samsung 980 Pro M.2 SSD, we investigate how such an expansion runs native PS5 apps like Ratchet and Clank - and how it fares across loading and transfer tests too...

Can we get a TL;DW?

Can we get a TL;DW?

They only tested on a 500GB Samsung 980 Pro SSD and found that most PS4 games loaded negligibly faster than the internal SSD, while some loaded negligibly faster on the internal SSD. PS5 games loaded pretty much identically as the internal SSD and performed identically in a demanding game like R&C Rift Apart while warping into different levels and areas. Also, copying games to the external SSD is significantly (at least 3-4 times) faster than copying them back to the internal SSD for some reason.

I saw this article from the Verge too that claims the slowest Gen 4 drive they could find at well under Sony's 5.5 GB/s read speed (3.9 GB/s) and it performed identically to the internally drive and another Sabrent Rocket SSD rated at 7 GB/s. Not that I (or they) would recommend buying a slower drive like that, as I'm sure there are other factors that could impact game play later on that current games just aren't demanding enough to show.

They only tested on a 500GB Samsung 980 Pro SSD and found that most PS4 games loaded negligibly faster than the internal SSD, while some loaded negligibly faster on the internal SSD. PS5 games loaded pretty much identically as the internal SSD and performed identically in a demanding game like R&C Rift Apart while warping into different levels and areas. Also, copying games to the external SSD is significantly (at least 3-4 times) faster than copying them back to the internal SSD for some reason.

I saw this article from the Verge too that claims the slowest Gen 4 drive they could find at well under Sony's 5.5 GB/s read speed (3.9 GB/s) and it performed identically to the internally drive and another Sabrent Rocket SSD rated at 7 GB/s. Not that I (or they) would recommend buying a slower drive like that, as I'm sure there are other factors that could impact game play later on that current games just aren't demanding enough to show.
Its very possible and even likely, that some of the better aftermarket drives have better sustained write capability, than the internal drive. And that is likely why the Samsung performed better, when copying a whole game to it.

As far as slower drives still making par: its obvious that one way or another, PS5 games aren't yet demanding the full capability of the internal drive. There might never be a game which really needs the full 5.5. Who knows.

Also, I believe the acclerated access and data decompression features of the PS5 (similar to what direct storage will be on PC) are applied to the aftermarket drive.

Most Gen4 drives I've seen have real-world sequential read speeds of around 5000 MB/s. I have yet to see one actually hit anywhere close to the 7000 MB/s that some drives advertise.

Most Gen4 drives I've seen have real-world sequential read speeds of around 5000 MB/s. I have yet to see one actually hit anywhere close to the 7000 MB/s that some drives advertise.
Well the ratings seem accurate to what the PS5 is benching them at. That cheap ADATA SSD from the Verge is rated at 3900 MB/s and your can see in their article the PS5 benches it at 3898 MB/s. In DF's video, their 980 Pro SSD is rated at 6500 MB/s and the PS5 benches it 6510.98 MB/s.

Looks like I finally scored a PS5 ! Was demon souls ever $30 yet ? I see it's around $50 right now was it ever cheaper? Also the extras in the digital deluxe are these exclusive or all things you can find make or farm in the regular version ? So pumped for Demon Souls and Ghost of Tsushima Directors cut. Nipple rubs

Looks like I finally scored a PS5 ! Was demon souls ever $30 yet ? I see it's around $50 right now was it ever cheaper? Also the extras in the digital deluxe are these exclusive or all things you can find make or farm in the regular version ? So pumped for Demon Souls and Ghost of Tsushima Directors cut. Nipple rubs
$49.99 new, is the overall best price right now.

Its going for about $50 used on Ebay.

Gamestop has it for $45 used. but they don't have any good used game promos or BOGO deals, right now. They were running some of those promos, for the past few weeks...

I'll probably just buy the regular digital version of demon souls. I don't care for the exclusive weapons. They are not upgradeable anyway and I lost out on the scythe cuz I didn't pre order the game already. So the hell with all that stuff. I don't really care for discs because you have to use the disc to launch the game... There's no advantage to a hard copy anymore anyway.

They really should just label modern warfare as incompatible for backwards combability, every update breaks the install and causes massive stuttering or flat out stops working.

I am really enjoying my PS5, I have had every generation of Playstation, and am impressed. I just recently bought LoU 2 for $20 @ Best Buy and am now playing through that while we wait for new games to come out. Beat SpiderMan:MM and Rift Apart already, both great games. Looking forward to Horizon Forbidden West, God of War 2, Hogwarts Legacy (unless PC version is better), Indiana Jones, Dragon Age....alot of good memories on some of these older games.

I continue to be super happy with my PS5. I enjoyed Miles Morales and have enjoyed the benefits on replays of Ghosts of Tsushima and now God of War. I'm eyeballing Ratchet and Clank at some point.
Agreed, the ps5 enhancements on these games are awesome. Slowly but surely whittling my way through the ff7 remake (on chapter 11 now) and I'm glad I waited for the ps5 enhancements to do it lol.

Cant decide if I want to play god of war or tsushima next (haven't played either yet)

Agreed, the ps5 enhancements on these games are awesome. Slowly but surely whittling my way through the ff7 remake (on chapter 11 now) and I'm glad I waited for the ps5 enhancements to do it lol.

Cant decide if I want to play god of war or tsushima next (haven't played either yet)
God of War is really fun, the world is so different, and really does not get boring. There is a lot of collectibles to gather, but gathering them doesnt feel painful. the story is great, the voice acting is superb. really good game.

I am teetering on Tsushima...it sounds like its skeleton is like Ubisoft, and I have had my fill of the Assasins Creed games for a bit. I will wait till the PS5 version comes out and is sub $30.00 most likely.

I refuse to buy the "new" GTA 5 on PS5...I bought the last three copies: PS3 (Hardware made it rough), PS4, PC.

God of War - just play it. It's gorgeous, brutal, fun, and doesn't get old.

I haven't played Tsushima yet, I will one day, but God of War is 100000% worth it.

How'd you guys get a PS5? I need to get mine through Amazon since I have over $300 of Amazon credit on my account, but from the info I'm finding online about this the PS5s stocks only get dropped once per month completely randomly.

How'd you guys get a PS5? I need to get mine through Amazon since I have over $300 of Amazon credit on my account, but from the info I'm finding online about this the PS5s stocks only get dropped once per month completely randomly.
It's impossible to compete with the bots on Amazon. In the early days I camped the Best Buy and Walmart drops and was able to get one from Walmart just in time for Christmas. Everybody must have been sleeping because I snagged one about 10 minutes into one of the later staggered drops that day. I don't know how stores are doing drops these days. I would keep an eye out on the "stock alert" thread in [H] deals, as I got a lot of good tips from everybody there. Supposedly Target is starting to stock the consoles in their stores, but I have not independently confirmed it.

i stood in line for 4 hours at a GameStop… :(

Though recently I’ve known people who had luck following Mark Swider’s Twitter and also the NowInStock PS5 Telegram channel. Gotta
Just follow a few sources and be ready to act when things pop up.

Locally I’ve seen Series X in multiple stores briefly for sale, but not PS5s. Check your local retails in person a few times and you might be surprised.

Really been digging my PS5 as well. I never had a PS4 so my last real console was a PS3, big jump in graphics and tons of games to pick from since I've never played any PS4 games at all.

Finished Ratchet & Clank, very pretty graphics & fun game, I liked it a lot. Also almost finished with Spider-Man Remastered (still have Miles Morales in the backlog after that). God of War is definitely on the list to play soon.

Family really likes Sack Boy as well, very fun co-op platformer, and Overcooked is a fun co-op game as well.

Saw some thread talking about Hades the other day and watched some gameplay and had to play it, so downloaded that on the PS5 as well and have been playing the crap out of it. I'm not the best at it yet and Rogelites aren't usually my genre but really dig it, it's addicting to play and the story & graphics are great.

Sign on to Twitter reminder, and then play the Playstation Direct app. you get put in a lottery so its not first come first serve. I got mine back in March. I played the PS direct a 1-2 dozen times before I secured one from their site.

Sign on to Twitter reminder, and then play the Playstation Direct app. you get put in a lottery so its not first come first serve. I got mine back in March. I played the PS direct a 1-2 dozen times before I secured one from their site.
Like I said I need to get it through Amazon.

Since I was on the original preorder list & didn't buy it, they sent me an email to order direct a few months ago. Worked out great with no issues with shipping.

I lucked out when the original preorders started a day early and caught everyone off gaurd. I just happened to be on Reddit when they went live and had a full 30-40 minutes to make preorders for me and my friends with 0 issues before the news became widespread and everything was gone.

Good luck now fighting with Amazon and the bots, all you can do is follow wario64 on twitter and pray to whatever deity you choose that you can get one.

Back